S3 Pinging after Revo stage 2

Booth1982

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have just done Revo stage 2 on my BAM engined S3. I have noticed that the car sounds different, it sounds almost like its pinging when under hard acceleration, well that's the best i can describe it.

has anyone got any advice, I read somewhere that I need to use colder plugs? I'm on the stock ones.

I also dont have the Silicone TIP installed yet. still waiting for it to arrive.

Any replies will be appreciated.

Well that's entirely your own fault for stage 2 mapping a car without stage 2 mods.

It's probably knocking left right and centre, who provided this map for you?

Take it back and get them to reduce the timing with the SPS thingy.

Without a big FMIC, full intake and full exhaust you'll be pinging due to the heat and the aggrssive REVO map.

What fuel are you running?
Only use Tesco 99, BP ultimate and Shell Optimax.
Normal 95ron fuel will detonate even worse!

Last edited:
And what are the supporting mod needed?

I was told Silicone Tip, Downpipe, 4bar FPR. I have done all of them just waiting for the TIP to arrive. I have a K&N Flat panel filter in the normal airbox.

Im in South Africa.

You have been told so wrong. That's barely stage 1.

No reputable tuner would flash stage 2 to that, make a complaint to Revo.

If I am honest I can't be bothered to help, all of the information you need is on this forum if you just do a simple search. I've personally written it out many times.

Your rods and pistons will almost certainly be toast now anyway if it's been mapped and driven with that much detonation.

Bad times :(

Reactions: Adam P
the car is still going nicely, it just sound different.

here is what revo says on their website.

Stage 2 software details for your AUDI, S3, 1.8 Turbo - VVT K04 (225 bhp)

Stage2 software for the 1.8T is designed to make the most of additional airflow and cooling modifications. Whilst stage2 can be setup to suit just an uprated exhaust with sports or de-cat you will not see the full benefit of the engine/software without using the full hardware list and running an uprated intake. The stock twin intercoolers are good but a Front Mount Intercooler is still a beneficial upgrade. There are many other hardware modifications that can be done to maximise the potential of the engine such as uprated boost pipes and Turbo inlet pipe. Stage2 typically gives great gains throughout the midrange, for more information about peak power figures click here.

• Turbo Back Exhaust with Sports or De-cat
  • High Flow Intake System with correct MAF scaling
  • Uprated FMIC Intercooler (note: uprated standard location intercoolers will still limit the potential of the engine)
RECOMMENDED HARDWARE
  • Uprated Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP)
  • Uprated Boost Pipes
  • Uprated Dogbone mount
Note: The stock TIP is in most cases inadequate and can collapse under load. Later vehicles were fitted with a revised factory part to solve that issue however an uprated TIP will give much better breathing ability

Stage 1 software details for your AUDI, S3, 1.8 Turbo - VVT K04 (225 bhp)

The 1.8T engine has huge tuning potential even in standard form. Revo Stage1 software gives great increases in power and torque throughout the rev range making any vehicle with the 1.8T engine much more capable and fun to drive. Revo stage1 software is designed to maximise the potential of the engine whilst working safely within standard hardware limitations, our software is tuned for drivability giving you the most useable power/torque throughout the rev-range. Rather than chasing peak dyno figures we tune to give you fantastic power delivery and a spread of torque throughout the rev range. This software will be setup by your Revo Dealer to suit the fuel quality and conditions your car is being used in. Along with the performance benefits from Stage1 software most drivers also see improvements in fuel economy.

Technical Notes

And what are the supporting mod needed?

I was told Silicone Tip, Downpipe, 4bar FPR. I have done all of them just waiting for the TIP to arrive. I have a K&N Flat panel filter in the normal airbox.

Im in South Africa.

4bar is not a BAM k04 revo requirement.
dyno'd?
what sps settings?

What mods do you actually have?
VCDS logs?

all required to better inform you.

Hi Badger5

I have got the downpipe with decat, I have got a 4bar Fpr, I have got a K&N Filter in the standard airbox. and thats it, MY Silicone tip should be arriving in a week or 2. I Dont have a SPS, and Im planning to let someone help me run logs this weekend hopefully.

our fuel is only 95 grade here in south africa..

Hi Badger5

I have got the downpipe with decat, I have got a 4bar Fpr, I have got a K&N Filter in the standard airbox. and thats it, MY Silicone tip should be arriving in a week or 2. I Dont have a SPS, and Im planning to let someone help me run logs this weekend hopefully.

our fuel is only 95 grade here in south africa..

who did the install and what did they set it to? Dyno'd?
low fuel grade not going to help you, and no fmic is'nt going to help either.
4bar is'nt a k04 revo requirement? I dont understand why whoever flashed the stage2 would have done that.
If you have vcds check your fuel trims on 032 before resetting any faultcodes.
block 020 for timing pull..
Check your throttle body pipe is not covered in oil.
Leaks are most common issue on these cars

Was this just flashed in some random settings put in it and they sent you on your way? No dyno used?

AND take it easy stay off boost if you here pinging.

The fact that its probably quite warm in South Africa, standard SMIC's and you only have 95ron fuel isn't going to help you keep intake air temperatures down.

Look into FMIC's and Water/Meth Injection

Badger 5 I have a Log file that they Ran directly after putting the revo software, so its before there was adaptation. can I perhaps mail it to you.?

WMI, two birds in one stone.

Reactions: skiptowncat and S3Alex
Ok I forgot to mention. my thermostat is stuck open. so the car is taking a bit longer to get to temp. would that be an issue?

Upload 2014 11 13 12 6 41

^^^is that timing ****** of 9?^^^

Yes... thats not good really...

Air temps aren't the best but depends on the ambient air temp as to how far away you are there... the ECU starts removing timing over 30/35 degrees intake temps anyway although clearly the ECU is still not happy...

You need to take the car back and get your timing dropped a bit

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3Alex
I will go back on the weekend and speak to the guys. they are aound 300km away. Thanks for every one that commented. Im hoping i will get it sorted. any more advice would also be greatly appreciated.

load% needs to be logged also
if ecu thinks its low load (from under reading maf for example) it will be running ign timing to suit that lower load.. BUT it will run too much timing.

If this log is same as he saw and he left you with it set like this its **** poor so called tuning

log 002,020,118 blocks (not individual)

Reactions: <tuffty/>
I must add that our 95 fuel is probably much lower quality then your 95 fuel. but I am going back to them, will drive slowly and relaxed until i can get it sorted. Thanks to everyone who posted. Since I have bought this S3, I have learned so much about this specific engine and car, and most of it comes from this site. thanks

Reactions: jaykay8L and Sandra
I must add that our 95 fuel is probably much lower quality then your 95 fuel. but I am going back to them, will drive slowly and relaxed until i can get it sorted. Thanks to everyone who posted. Since I have bought this S3, I have learned so much about this specific engine and car, and most of it comes from this site. thanks

Best of luck with this. I'm in the same boat as you re learning a lot about my car from this site. Some very talented and knowledgable peeps on here.

Is there any way you could beg or borrow a trailer to get the car to the "tuner"? 180 miles is a long way in a pinking car, and i'd hate for you to do any serious damage commuting it.

OR, research someone locally who would be able to re-instate a generic map, while at the same time starting a dialogue with REVO about resolving this to everyones satisfaction. Seems they've fallen short on this occasion.

When I drive normally it sounds good no issues, its when I am driving it hard. and at higher RPM when it starts.

I don't get why a tuner would install revo stage 2 software like this! its worrying! I have personally had the experience of putting a rod through my engine block and i would much rather have a car running reliable safe power and tuned correctly any day. People are obsessed with getting and chasing bhp figures. I would take the car back asap and stick with stage 1 software until you have all supporting mods as i have read and heard the revo maps are naturally spiky aswell. Before my rod popped out to say hello my car knocked on full power which felt like it was wheel spinning and struggling to for grip as i was in the wet then bang!

can someone please explain to me what all supporting mods are, because as Far as i am concerned I have got everything needed for stage 2 well according to revo's website.

OP i would get in touch with some of the other SA members such as Miggz. Hes a good bloke and has plenty of experience to help you out and even advise you. I realise SA is fkn massive but he may be close and might help somehow. Theres quite a handful of SA members too so it will be good for you to hook up with them for some car banter.

I'm just wondering wether there is a leak post maf sensor causing it to run lean under boost conditions, worth a shot...start with the easy stuff

Iv been in touch with booth (thanks for the punt Karl) unfortunately I'm nearly 1000km from booth so it's hard to help I try where I can, revo unfortunately in south africa always require a 4bar fpr I don't know why.

Iv recommend or advised a few mods to do, I don't know what boost the car is running have not looked at the logs yet

Sack it off, it is clearly ****.

Get the car returned to stock map and have somebody who knows what they are doing to work on it.

Reactions: A3-Lee, MIGGZ and jaykay8L
I can't believe they are telling you there is nothing wrong with the map. If you can here the engine pinging then it is being damaged, the kind of stress being put on the engine when it's pinking is cumulative and eventually will result in a failure.
If the map works on other cars then it could mean there is an issue with your car but they shouldn't let you drive off with a potential time bomb ticking in the engine.

http://www.ben9166.com/2010/05/detonation-damage-on-20v-pistons.html