S3 owners under 25

24 with 5 years no claims £1000 for the year
High because of my postcode

Reactions: James.B8

I've been getting quotes around that and I'm 30! My policy docs say 9 years NCB although I've never had a claim.

Had a S3 8P when I was 20 kept that 3 years was paying £700 fully comp then got my 8V facelift S3 at 23 and pay £1000 insurance. Been driving since I was 18 3 years no claims

25 with 6 points and pay £800 for the year with axa

Definitely going to be giving Axa a call. Everyone seems to be getting decent deals with them

I'm 37, been driving for 19 years since I was 17 and have 15 years no claims my premium is £1167 with AXA. Am starting to think I'll probably be 80 and still be paying over a grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
248edd77cb594243e38292ec791df481.png

Who's that with if you don't mind me asking, I've got 15 years no claims and paying over £1000

I'm 27 with an MW10 conviction (completely stitched up) only driven for 6 years and Hastings direct covered my new S3 for £1082. Without the MW10 it's just under £600

I bought my S3 at 20, it cost £700 for the year, just about to come up to renewal so i'm a bit nervous as insurers love to rip people off at renewal.. got 2 yrs NCB been driving since just over 4 years now. I do live in the middle of no where so that may help...

I bought my S3 at 20, it cost £700 for the year, just about to come up to renewal so i'm a bit nervous as insurers love to rip people off at renewal.. got 2 yrs NCB been driving since just over 4 years now. I do live in the middle of no where so that may help...
That's pretty good. Hopefully won't go up too much.

Probably will, the other month Direct Line were quoting me top end of £500, now it's £800-£900!

Probably will, the other month Direct Line were quoting me top end of £500, now it's £800-£900!
They (Directline) quoted me £450 fully comp for my 2.0 TDI last night. 20yrs ncb (protected), 20k miles p.a, garaged, no points & 1 non fault accident.

Last edited:
All car insurance has gone up about 15-25% this year. Have a family member who works in insurance and pointed me towards the below topic when I queried the huge increase when I recently renewed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...back-crazy-personal-injury-rate-change-share/

http://www.sutcliffeinsurance.co.uk...ums-to-jump-following-Ogden-rate-changes.aspx

Is that due to all of the nonsensical whiplash claims forcing them to raise prices? Was on the radio a few months back.

Is that due to all of the nonsensical whiplash claims forcing them to raise prices? Was on the radio a few months back.

Not quite... It is to do with accidents resulting in life changing injuries

This explains it better than I can

What is the Discount Rate?

• The Discount Rate, also known as the Ogden Rate, is a calculation used by the courts to determine how much insurance companies should pay out to customers in cases of life-changing injury.
  • When victims of life-changing injuries accept lump sum compensation payments, the actual amount they receive is adjusted according to the interest they can expect to earn by investing it.
  • The percentage rate, which has been cut from 2.5pc to -0.75pc, is used to calculate future losses.
  • For instance, under the old rate, an insurance company would need to pay out £975 to a claimant to cover a £1,000 loss. That's because:
  • £975 x .025=25
  • £1000 - £25= £975.
  • In other words, under the old system, the claimant was expected to earn 2.5pc interest a year on a lump sum payment of £975, which would yield £1,000.
  • Under the new -0.75pc rate, the insurance company will have to pay £1,007.5 in compensation because:
  • £1,000 x 0.0075 = £7.5
  • £7.5 + £1,000 = £1,007.5
  • The Discount Rate is linked, by law, to returns on the lowest risk investments, typically Index-Linked Gilts. The yield on these gilts, or Government bonds, has fallen dramatically since 2001.
  • The MoJ says: "The law makes clear that claimants must be treated as risk averse investors, reflecting the fact that they are financially dependent on this lump sum, often for long periods or the duration of their life. Compensation awards using the rate should put the claimant in the same financial position had they not been injured, including loss of future earnings and care costs."

Reactions: MÖRK
They (Directline) quoted me £450 fully comp for my 2.0 TDI last night. 20yrs ncb (protected), 20k miles p.a, garaged, no points & 1 non fault accident.

Ah yeah, of course it'll depend on the type of car as well. Clearly they see S3's as high risk, I've been driving 13 years this year and have never claimed and I'm getting quotes of £700+ from everyone.

Ah yeah, of course it'll depend on the type of car as well. Clearly they see S3's as high risk, I've been driving 13 years this year and have never claimed and I'm getting quotes of £700+ from everyone.

From speaking to a bunch of different insurance companies when I switched to the S3 they also factor in what other cars of similar power you have driven claim free before. For me this was none.

They also said after a year driving something so different you should notice a significant drop in next years premium so fingers crossed.

From speaking to a bunch of different insurance companies when I switched to the S3 they also factor in what other cars of similar power you have driven claim free before. For me this was none.

They also said after a year driving something so different you should notice a significant drop in next years premium so fingers crossed

I had a MK5 R32 claim free for nearly 9 years so mine should be low based on that lol

I had a MK5 R32 claim free for nearly 9 years so mine should be low based on that lol

Only what I was told haha doesn't bode well for me then does it

Reactions: Tom.H
I'm 23 with just over 5 years no claims and paid £656 for the year through Admiral

i worked in insurance for a while.. prices aren't going anywhere but up in the future sadly, 60% increase is forecast for the next 5 years...

Reactions: AudiNutta
Basically how insurance is going lol

tumblr_nwydeqPW0G1qhz95yo1_500.gif

Reactions: AudiNutta and MattSedg
Haha it is a rip off sadly.. however the 60% can potentially be offset for young drivers, through experience and NCB so not all is lost...

I'm with Admiral!

I am with Elephant, so the same family as Admiral (they came up around £100 cheaper, was very close).
Mine is around £1700 too, I am 19 on a FL with 2 years NCB. But that was after £900 discount on a multicar policy.

Reactions: Jonny Gordon
just a tip that may or may not work for you guys.. (it worked for me) is insure your car as an A3 S3 quattro, its still valid in terms of insurance, and about 15 insurance categories lower...

Reactions: Jonny Gordon and SILVAF0XX
I'm 22, just renewed my insurance for £852. 3 years NCB. Interesting thing is they asked me if I had any modifications to the car. Such as parking sensors, heated seats etc. I said yes, car has all of these things added and my insurance then came to £1400 what even?! I've never heard of this from an insurance company having to declare an option that isn't on the standard car by factory?

If that's the case. I should of gone with it and said I have an S Tronic cause I'm pretty sure that's an option to have too....

So yeah. If I ever had an incident I.e someone smashed my windows, insurance will pay for standard glass and not privacy glass windows cause I didn't say it in my insurance..

Yep, more and more insurance companies are now classing optional extras as modifications, I guess it's due to the increased parts prices involved with certain options when it comes to the car being repaired, i.e. Matrix LED's vs the standard LED headlights.

Yep, more and more insurance companies are now classing optional extras as modifications, I guess it's due to the increased parts prices involved with certain options when it comes to the car being repaired, i.e. Matrix LED's vs the standard LED headlights.

You have to declare them though? Personally there are a few things on there i don't really care about. Just don't want them to cancel my insurance or make something VOID

You have to declare them though? Personally there are a few things on there i don't really care about. Just don't want them to cancel my insurance or make something VOID

Yep, I spoke to Direct Line on their online chat and they asked me to list all the options I specc'd. The lady told me none of them affected the policy but they wanted to know them all. I'm not sure how the other insurers work but there's a few that ask you to choose what 'modifications' the car has on their online quote system.

Personally I'd declare them all, can't think of anything worse than having a crash, be it fault or non fault and ending up having my policy cancelled (worse case)

What are all you youngens doing job wise to afford S3's this early on in life?

27 and prob finally get mine next year upgrade from 15 A3 Sline but I do have a fairly hefty mortgage...thought I was doing ok for myself though lol

Reactions: MÖRK
Mechanical engineer myself.. design car shredders of all things...

Reactions: AudiNutta