s3 idling funny

c6dsy

Reaction score
My s3 started idling weird tonight i drove about 8 miles and then was out car talking to someone then jumped in the turn round and noticed revs dropped down really slow then changing gear was getting backfire once home i took it out of gear and let it idle and its fluctuating between 2000 rpm and just below 1000rpm going up and down and if i rev it there is a back fire too any ideas? Got an ig maxogen fitted and full miltek turbo back exhaust

My s3 started idling weird tonight i drove about 8 miles and then was out car talking to someone then jumped in the turn round and noticed revs dropped down really slow then changing gear was getting backfire once home i took it out of gear and let it idle and its fluctuating between 2000 rpm and just below 1000rpm going up and down and if i rev it there is a back fire too any ideas? Got an ig maxogen fitted and full miltek turbo back exhaust

you could try cleaning the MAF.

Vacuum leak. Oil filler cap seal leak.

Cant seem to find any leaks but when I turn it off the circular plastic bit on front of rocker cover hisses away for a bit maybe 15 seconds it has a small hole that is meant to be there that's where air is coming from

Yea just replace it and I'm sure it will fix your issue for you .

Try taking cover off with engine running to see what happens.

What is a PCV valve and what does it do????

Its a valve on the front of rocker cover that takes breathers from block and inlet manifold and has a diaphragm in it to alow them all to breath, seems if diaphragm breaks air leaks straight to inlet causing idle to fluctuate

Is this the thing located on the top left hand corner above the oil cap? Good to know