S3 Headlight alignment/levelling

pablo

Reaction score
Hey all - I presume that since the S3 has HIDs that it should have self levellers? If so do they break as mine seem pointed directly at the gound and are useless at night.

Anything I can take a look at?

thanks all
-pablo

Quite a common issue mate - I had the Xenons adjusted by the stealer under warranty on my S3.

You can perform some tests and change the levellers yourself if you have VAG-COM. I'm not sure of the exact settings but someone will come along soon and answer this as a few of us have experienced this issue.

its either going to be a faulty levelling motor(s), disconnected motors, or broken front or rear levelling sensor or rod.

Yes, it's a real can of worms this one, I too have been trying to fix mine all year. If you search the forum you will find lots of other threads relating to headlights, apparently the places to look are:

1) Check the front and rear level sensors. Located in both left hand side wheel arches there's a link rod connected to the sensors, check nothing is broken/seized up there.
2) Check the motors in the lights are working, replace if required.
3) Use VAG COM to check signals from sensors.

I've been through all the above so far. When I first switch on the lights they're OK but after a couple of miles the driver's side points at the floor, a few more miles they both do. I have replaced both front and rear level sensors with no success. As the lights start OK and then move low the motors are obviously both working so I have not changed them yet. According to Ross Tech the signal from my front sensor is below range but if I adjust the linkage to make it even further below range the level improves for a time.

Oh, and it's been to Audi a couple of times too, they say there's nothing wrong with it?

Of course you can always do what I have, assuming you can get the lights to the correct level when first switched on, do that and then disconnect the motors. At least you'll be able to see at night.

Was going to say can I just set them up then leave them? Sounds like a good idea cos I can see bog all.

Had a similar problem like tonedef, only one headlamp was effected though. I took the plunge and bought a new adjustment motor. Easy to fit and fixed the problem. I think the motors receives the signal to adjust, but instead of making a small movement they go the whole way, usually down. I have an old motor if someone wants to disect it.

Regards, John.

pablo said:
Was going to say can I just set them up then leave them? Sounds like a good idea cos I can see bog all.

It's the only thing that's worked for me :banghead:

JohnS3 said:
Had a similar problem like tonedef, only one headlamp was effected though. I took the plunge and bought a new adjustment motor. Easy to fit and fixed the problem. I think the motors get the signal to adjust, but instead of a small movement they go the whole way, usually down. I have an old motor if someone wants to disect it.

Regards, John.

Thanks for that John, maybe it is worth trying the motors after all. As I said, I always assumed that as they were at least moving, the motors were OK.

My nearside headlamp falls to the floor with increasing regularity. I disconnected the adjustment motor with the beam aligned correctly and it seems to remain in the same position.
I'll change the motor in the near future as by law Xenon lights require automatic adjustment and power wash I believe.
Does anyone have the part numbers for the adjustment motors?

I'll dig the part number out tonight, from memory they are about £40 from the dealer. Not sure if VAG parts can get them, might be worth a try though.

just to clarify can the headlights be adjusted manually with no motors connected?

Yes indeed, look for the white phillips adjusters. The one closest to the wing is for up/down.