S3 Exhaust Manifold Studs.

MarkyS3

Reaction score
Im yet to find out if the one missing is just missing or sheared off.......if its just one missing to save all the hassle of taking head off will it still blow? Im hoping its just worked loose as the 2 turbo bolts did and one of the manifold ones were loose also.

When i got there and they looked at it there was only 1 bolt left in turbo and that had 2 threads before that was out, its was leaning back, maybe this is where the coolant leak is from the water ffed/return pipe.....

Mainfold to head has 1 missing also and there was another loose.....

When i got there and they looked at it there was only 1 bolt left in turbo and that had 2 threads before that was out, its was leaning back, maybe this is where the coolant leak is from the water ffed/return pipe.....

If it was just the mani to turbo bolts I'd say just loctite some new bolts in as I had the same issue before changing to studs and nuts instead. As the mani to head bolts seem to be an issue to you might as well whip the head off and just replace the lot with new studs and bolts. Use the OEM ones as they are the best and made for the heat from the turbo, engine, and mani.

Right ok, i will speak to the guy and see what he will charge to take head off. Is it many hours to do it?

Personally, I'd say it's an awful lot of work for one nut. If it were me, I would leave it, see how it behaves and then make a decision.

£150 in parts alone for head off and on. Seems a bit steep for a nut that most likely won't make a difference.

I left one off my A3 when I did the K03S conversion and it never made a sound.

Ok Welly nice one, if it turns out to only be one i will leave it then to be honest. Seems stupid i know what you mean afterall there are 12 other bolts lol.

I'll probably be openly flared as a bodger lol - however my methods have always worked for me.

Leaving it and seeing involves marginally more work than having the head off. If you do test it and it's bad - then it's not much work to get back to where you are now.

Yeh true, im hoping that its just fell out not sheared, even so one bolt missing i would imagine would be ok, just thought id see if anyone else has done it.

It's not a quick job lets put it that way. Especially if everything is there that's supposed to be. I have strategically removed stuff over the 10 times my head has been off to make it a quicker process lol.

Personally, I'd say it's an awful lot of work for one nut.

It sounds more then just 1 nut!

When i got there and they looked at it there was only 1 bolt left in turbo and that had 2 threads before that was out.

lol

OP, just get the damn turbo on and tight with new nuts. mine came loose on the nurburgring and the sound was horrendous!
once you know thats ok you can asses the severity of the manifold-head. depending which mani-head bolt it is a mech might be able to get to it. obv you need to be consulting your mechanic.

Yeh true, im hoping that its just fell out not sheared, even so one bolt missing i would imagine would be ok, just thought id see if anyone else has done it.

Sorry, what are we talking about here? I'm confused.

The bolts are from the manifold to the turbo. 3 of them. Made of some sort of high heat tungsten material. E11 tops and are an absolute nob.

The manifold to head flange doesn't have bolts, it has studs. Them there are copper nuts that wind onto the studs to secure the manifold to the head.

If it's one of the studs, I would say it is very unlikely to have sheared. bolts/studs only tend to shear off from excess weight or pressure - not from head. I would guess the stud has come loose from the head with the nut still on and then fallen out.

Agreed, but I'm talking about the manifold to head flange, not the turbo. The turbo mani can be done piece of ****. It's the mani head flange thats the pain.

If they know one is loose as well, that indicates to me that it can be got to to be tightened if you see what I mean.

This has all got a bit confusing :/

lol

OP, just get the damn turbo on and tight with new nuts. mine came loose on the nurburgring and the sound was horrendous!
once you know thats ok you can asses the severity of the manifold-head. depending which mani-head bolt it is a mech might be able to get to it. obv you need to be consulting your mechanic.

What he said. That's what I was trying to say.

Thanks Karlos :) lol

Sorry guys, basically turbo has 3 bolts in a triangle shape, 2 of those have come out and turbo is hanging on one, ALSO there is one missing from mani to head, so these unlikely to sheer? 1 was loose also.

i always use the terms 'nuts' and 'bolts' loosely (no pun intended) obv the turbo-mani is bolts. the mani-head is studs and NUTS.

OP:
mrT.jpg

Sorry guys, basically turbo has 3 bolts in a triangle shape, 2 of those have come out and turbo is hanging on one, ALSO there is one missing from mani to head, so these unlikely to sheer? 1 was loose also.

I understood you first time mate ;)

I can't help being marginally retarded.... lol.

The studs are unlikely to shear dude as they have lots of support from the others. Bets are it's just wound out.

Manifold studs can be done with the head on as long as you aren't a spam fisted spastic and can be classed as a mechanic.

My father and I did three in the space of 6 hours using left handed drill bits and proper easy outs, much better than disturbing the head gasket.

306411_10150463749540130_794767963_n.jpg

316334_10150463606730130_145950466_n.jpg

319694_10150463750620130_527648740_n.jpg

Too many people give up too easily, which is why I never trust garages to do anything. I won't even have the Rapid Fit next to work fit tires for me.

I've taken the exhaust manifold off two 1.8T's now, and both had snapped studs, so i wouldnt say its entirely unlikely. Age, heat and thermal cycling puts a lot of strain on the metal.

One i had the head off to fix, the other was out the car so i managed to drill it out and sort it with the head on.

Had i had a nice right angled drill like Jardos dad above, i could probably have managed the first one without removing the head too.

this is all very helpfull as I have just discovered that my manifold is cracked, well not just discovered it has just happened :(