S3 (8P) - Loss of Traction During Hard Acceleration... HELP!!

Che_S3

1st Gear
Reaction score
Hi All. This is my first post on here.

I have a 2010 S3 Sportback S-Tronic.

This week i have noticed a slight problem with the traction light popping up when accelerating (hard). In first, as soon as you hit 3,ooo RPm (the point i believe the turbo kicks in) the traction control lights up and the wheel starts to feel like it is being pulled from my hand (this is what guess torque steer feels like,which i thought the S3 should not get being quattro). near the redline it seems to sort itself out.

In Second at about 3,ooo RMP the traction light will pop up for a second and the wheel will tug slightly but nothing like first gear. In Third again at 3,000 RPM you will notice a very small pull but no traction control.

These are all on straight, flat (or as flat as you can get on UK roads) road and not while cornering, if you even try to put power down when coming out of a junction to join traffic, good luck!

The car has no mods at all and not had a remap (yet). The front tyres were replaced last month and the backs still have plenty of tread. I have owned the car for about 5 month and not come across this error yet. This only happens if you plant your foot to the floor in a gear. Also has about 28,000 Mile son the clock if that helps.

Any Idea what is wrong?

P.S. sorry this was a bit long........

Thanks for your help :)

Will go to Audi on the weekend as it is still under warranty.
Hopefully this is the issue.

Haven't got anything to check for fault codes. What is the best device to buy to check?

Another haldex pump!!!??? Sounds very familiar to what happened go mine . Let us know what it was

Will update once i have gone.

On a unrelated side note Alex_Wil. Once my car is back to full health, i was thinking about a remap. I noticed you have the AMD one, which i was looking at getting. Would you recommend it and what kind of power and torque gains did you get?

Yes would definitely recommend it . I'm sitting at AMD now actually getting my s3 taken up to stage 2+ . from stage one i got about 320 bhp but can't give you exact figure on torque off top of my head I'm afraid !

Reactions: Compkiler
Wow 320 bhp. I heard some people get 310 but 320 is mad. Was that purely just a remap or were there any other modifications?

Let me know what the results of the Stage 2+ are.

That was with a cat back and cold air induction so that may of added a few bhp .

I will do !

Alex, bagsy first passenger seat at the weekend :p

Reactions: Alex_Wil
Right so took it for a quick spin without the traction control on and the same thing happened so it was not something to do with that. Looks like it must be the good old Haldex Pump.

Like i said, will go to Audi on Saturday.

Right so took it for a quick spin without the traction control on and the same thing happened so it was not something to do with that. Looks like it must be the good old Haldex Pump.

Like i said, will go to Audi on Saturday.

Personally heard a few bad things with the software on the AMD maps so I went for a revo map on mine mate and absolutely love it, has been flawless, and made 314bhp with just a remap :)

Hope you get your traction problem sorted though.

Personally heard a few bad things with the software on the AMD maps so I went for a revo map on mine mate and absolutely love it, has been flawless, and made 314bhp with just a remap :)

Hope you get your traction problem sorted though.
What bad things are these out of curiosity ?

What bad things are these out of curiosity ?

Just that they can be quite buggy, a mate of mine had no end of problems with the software on his, so he changed it to a revo map and sorted all the problems he had, but thats only one persons experience.

Pull the fuse for the haldex system and see if it drives any different? Mine was un-drivable with the fuse out at stage 2+, I wanted to feel what an Edition 30 would be like. Needless to say I bought another Quattro.

Last edited:
Just that they can be quite buggy, a mate of mine had no end of problems with the software on his, so he changed it to a revo map and sorted all the problems he had, but thats only one persons experience.

That's fair enough - mine seems to be flying so more than happy :D

As with any tuner someone will always have an issue.
AMD are a very well respected tuner and I'm sure if you did encounter any problem (which you won't) They'd sort it.
Enjoy the extra power mate

Reactions: S3Alex and Alex_Wil
As with any tuner someone will always have an issue.
AMD are a very well respected tuner and I'm sure if you did encounter any problem (which you won't) They'd sort it.
Enjoy the extra power mate
Completly agree! . Hoping to have some fun at gti with it !

Reactions: S3Alex
Hi mate, I had a similar (probably identical) issue with mine at the tail end of last year, I started a thread too - take a look.
I reflashed my map and it disappeared, hasn't come back since although if it does, I'll have to look deeper into it.

What's the best way to diagnose the fault? As my S3 has been doing it since purchase just under a month ago. Put it down the the winter tyres that previous owner had on the car but still doing it with eagle f1 asymmetric tyres on. Will take it back to the dealer for a check aswell sometime next week.

Right so spoke to Audi and they do not have any available spaces till the 29th July!

Will have to wait till then to find out if it is the Haldex pump. Thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

Took the car into Audi yesterday and after a whole day of looking around on it they called me at 16:30 saying it was the Haldex pre-pump. I did mention this to them when i first dropped it off so god knows why it look them all day to find that out.

Long story short it is all covered under the warranty and i am picking it up tonight all fixed.

Thanks again everyone as your predictions were all right. :arco:

Took the car into Audi yesterday and after a whole day of looking around on it they called me at 16:30 saying it was the Haldex pre-pump. I did mention this to them when i first dropped it off so god knows why it look them all day to find that out.

Long story short it is all covered under the warranty and i am picking it up tonight all fixed.

Thanks again everyone as your predictions were all right. :arco:

I sense recall coming towards us soon... so many pumps broke recently, its just very worring. Hope the new one will last twice long at least haha!

Well car fixed today, new haldex pump fitted and accelerates without traction control cutting in.