S3 8l pipewerx downpipe

Silva bullet

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have today fitted the notorius 3inch downpipe and decat everything went okay but then I got 2 problems the tappered end off the decat end is not long enough and tappered enough so it wount fully go in so exhaust is blowing at that place.
Problem 2 and the main 1 is that I can't seem to slot in any off the 4 steering rack bolts. Bolt keeps turning as it's not slotted in the hole in the other end and as a result the steering is all over the place got a ****** scare trying to guide the car a few feet.
I'm stuck outside my house not obstructing any cars so all good there but the steering as it is wount allow me to be able to drive anywhere..if anyone has any tips I will be forever greatfull.
Pics of install were taken so will post soon as I edit along.
Thanks for any incoming help..Silva bullet

Is the bolts not reaching the threads on the steering rack?

Is the bolts not reaching the threads on the steering rack?
Hi samhendry yes that right steering rack bolts nit reaching subframe holes really annoyed today could drive but did turn the car ob today after 4 days off lol..thanks for your input mate..Silva bullet

Sounds like a nightmare mate, maybe some longer bolts, I know this doesn't help but why did you touch these bolts?you can drop the rack and subframe together to allow enough room unless you removed old downpipe as one piece?

you can cut through the flexi pipe, but that's no help now is it.

if you get a long bolt you might be able to get them close enough for the real bolts to get some purchase.

if you get a long bolt you might be able to get them close enough for the real bolts to get some purchase.
Evening Stuart b when I removed the old oem downpipe I didn't cut it so had to remove 4 steering rack bolts to enable me some more room to wiggle it out of the bottom
So at 3pm today after the scope run I put the car back on axel stands and lowered the subframe.
After I did that I could now see where the bolts should be going up into..longer bolts as you said as this point would help so will get some tomorrow so thanks for that..hope I complete it tomorrow lol..Silva bullet

Evening pal today was kinda fruitful put car on axel stands lowered subframe and as I did that I Cound see between the subframe and steering rack.
At this point I could also see the holes on the rack where the 4 subframe bolts go into from the bottom.
And as ever with me bad light stopped play so tomorrow has got to be the day lol

Evening samhendry yeah mate i removed old oem downpipe in 1 piece so had to loosen steering rack bolts to enable me a little more room to remove old downpipe out..today was good I lowered subframe and I could see the holes where the steering rack bolts go into.
So hopefully tomorrow has to be the day..Silva bullet

Reactions: SamHendry
If you undo the dogbone engine mount you can move / rock engine slightly forwards and back

Upload 2017 10 31 7 24 5