Rust

gibboson8

Reaction score
How long after you've bought a new car would you expect to start seeing some rust around the wheels/brake area? My A3 SB is just over 3 months old and I've noticed the back wheel on the drivers side has a 4 to 5 inch wide patch which is glaringly orangey-brown! I've been getting it cleaned (sorry purists) every 3 weeks at a local hand-wash but never had this problem before. Strange it's just one wheel too. Will get some pics tomorrow morning when I see it in the light again!

Any recommendations on what I can do? Thank you.

Yup...that's common on all Audis I'm afraid, if it's the rust around the hub and brake disc you're talking about?...Audi Stirling had a brand new TTS in the showroom with 8mls on it in the same condition
When I quizzed the sales guy about it he just said 'you'll need to paint them to stop it'....lol

Thanks both. Sorry should have searched!

Pretty annoying but at least it's not something that I've done!

Reactions: Pulp84 and SW14NY'S
Its really annoying.

Bmw's now come with an aluminium type cover which stops this.

Most cars have it, local car washes use acid especially on the wheels which I find makes it happen more unfortunately. I recommend you to paint them silver!

Most cars have it, local car washes use acid especially on the wheels which I find makes it happen more unfortunately. I recommend you to paint them silver!

..........did you just say car wash??!!

41e5d7cbb8beb13ded921052066d21f0.gif

Reactions: kanecullen89, Shortyian, Jassyo06 and 3 others
I hear people mention they paint there's silver to cover up the rust prone area.

Mine already appear to be painted, or is this the later that rusts through?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    733.7 KB · Views: 355
I hear people mention they paint there's silver to cover up the rust prone area.

Mine already appear to be painted, or is this the later that rusts through?

That's factory original - will need a couple of coats of smooth hammerite.

Most of these discs and hubs are made from a nodular grey cast iron. This is old school, stovepipe hats and steam engines style Brunellian materials engineering, but the fact is that It has astonishingly good properties for use in modern braking systems; high strength, good coefficient of friction, high thermal capacity, high stability under extremes of temperature, good resistance to fracture and deformation due to temperature differences, and it's really really cheap...

It is not however immune to corrosion. It's iron. If you remember your schoolboy chemistry, you'll know that Fe has an affinity for O2, and so it will very readily form oxide layer.

You can paint the problem area, but the area is prone to the above issues, namely lots of heat and lots of mechanical stresses. Things that most paints really don't like very much.

Reactions: 45bvtc, Pulp84, SW14NY'S and 3 others
This is how mine looks after not being driven for 2.5 weeks ( wheel is away for refurb).

What I have found is that if you drive a reasonable amount of miles (and use the brakes..lol) it does not build up Typically I do between 200-400 miles a week but when it's stuck on the drive when away on business/holiday even after a few days it starts to a build up......solution drive it more!!!

Btw..car is less than 6 months old but looks pretty bad TBH for a new car

Reactions: Rob2k68
I've taken my wheels off a couple of times and my hub is like that too, it's disgusting for a modern car. My old 2001 B5 had less rust on the hubs.
I'm going to clean them up and paint mine when my brakes and suspension come.

Reactions: Rob2k68
it's disgusting for a modern car. My old 2001 B5 had less rust on the hubs.

They're made out of iron. Iron rusts. Get over it and relish the fact that whilst they may show a bit of surface rust they perform their primary function of hauling a tonne and a half (or more) of precious meat and metal to a dead stop from some fairly ludicrous speeds with no fuss whatsoever, repeatedly, for years at a time, with absolutely no maintenance.

This is a feat of some frankly astonishing engineering, only a generation ago some of the feats your braking system is capable of were considered impossible, and yet with incremental development, including advances that make a 2001 B5 look hopelessly obsolete, you now have a humble shopping car / family hatchback with more power than the super cars you had decorating your walls on posters as a kid, that is capable of converting the total kinetic energy of a car and a family of five into huge quantities of heat whilst bringing you to a halt in a distance that makes the Highway Code seem laughable, and all in almost total silence...

The rust is nothing. The proper engineering solution is to not use iron, but since that's accompanied with a c.£5k - £10k price hike for exotic ceramic brakes, using iron is a no brainer. In terms of cost, performance, maintenance, longevity, heat dissipation, NVH, and every other metric you can think of, Iron is hands down the best material for the job. Unless of course you think £40k for a new S3 plus £6k for new discs and pads every few years is ok?

So, ignore the staining and enjoy the car, or just paint them once a year. Whatever you do though, don't consider the system that saves your life hundreds of thousands of times over the course of your ownership "disgusting". There's really much more to it than meets the eye.

Reactions: Wondering Soul, DangerS3, TonyH38 and 6 others
I'm hoping not to have to paint mine again - only gave them one coat 6 months ago and it's just starting to break through the surface. Looking for some after market slotted or j groove discs. TTRS Brembos at the front would be nice but worried that it'll throw the brake balance out.

Reactions: pburv
Rust and iron hubs may be a natural occurrence, and it may be just "cosmetic", however, other so-called "lesser" marques manage to coat/paint theirs so that there is no rust visible, even after 10's of '000's of miles ;)

Reactions: SW14NY'S, 45bvtc, steeve and 1 other person
Its shocking that the hubs rust. Not all manufacturers allow them to rust, it really would cost pennies to coat them with something that would prevent this. On a steel wheel it may not be visible but with an open design of alloy wheel they are very visible.

Audi, a prestige brand? I think not.

Its shocking that the hubs rust. Not all manufacturers allow them to rust, it really would cost pennies to coat them with something that would prevent this. On a steel wheel it may not be visible but with an open design of alloy wheel they are very visible.

Audi, a prestige brand? I think not.

Is not always about looks, shiny is not always best, I would rather have 2-3% better breaking efficiency over shiny hubs any day. The rust is really not an issue if you do anything close to or above average mileage.

Not all manufacturers allow them to rust...

...Audi, a prestige brand? I think not.

Rust and iron hubs may be a natural occurrence, and it may be just "cosmetic", however, other so-called "lesser" marques manage to coat/paint theirs so that there is no rust visible, even after 10's of '000's of miles ;)

Rubbish. Search any car forum, for any marque, and the issue is the same.

Porsche:

BMW

Mercedes

Lotus

Reactions: batch
This brings back a memory when I was ordering my car. There were guys running around in the showroom scrubbing the discs with some sort of spray and pad.

Dealer informed me that they were getting an inspection the following day and Audi would mark them down for having rust/marks on the discs.

Quite ironic, they are obviously aware of the problem, and possibly looking to hide it?

All my fords have had rusty hubs, our Mazda's too, especially if they have rear drums. Audi are definately not alone with this and it is normal to have this oxidization...

This brings back a memory when I was ordering my car. There were guys running around in the showroom scrubbing the discs with some sort of spray and pad.

Dealer informed me that they were getting an inspection the following day and Audi would mark them down for having rust/marks on the discs.

Quite ironic, they are obviously aware of the problem, and possibly looking to hide it?
Not really, as in the showroom that is a different matter, once they leave the showroom then it isn't their responsibilty. I think you are confusing the two senarios..

A quick walk around a public car park at lunchtime reveals.......
(All/most cars pictured are 13 reg or older)

knbU1O4.jpg

Y0c7WJM.jpg

uKWlZPp.jpg

Tx56hra.jpg

fO5dpBK.jpg

9ca63wx.jpg

JB9zyBt.jpg

Reactions: JohnM100

knbU1O4.jpg

Y0c7WJM.jpg

uKWlZPp.jpg

Tx56hra.jpg

fO5dpBK.jpg

9ca63wx.jpg

JB9zyBt.jpg

I bet you had some right looks from people! :busted cop:

Still very annoying! Mine let the car down massively looks wise

Reactions: veeeight
/QUOTE]

That's exactly what mine look like when I drive regularly, leaving it sitting around and the rust appears.

I could visibly seen how much worse it had got in the 6 days one was exposed while on an axle stand while the wheel was being refurbed ( wish I had taken a before and after pic).

That said I am sure most of the rust will be gone once I have driven it for a few days.

I think because the a3 has this wide spacer or hub, or whatever its called, between the wheel and the disc and any corrosion seems more apparent...

That's exactly what mine look like when I drive regularly, leaving it sitting around and the rust appears.
I could visibly seen how much worse it had got in the 6 days one was exposed while on an axle stand while the wheel was being refurbed ( wish I had taken a before and after pic).
That said I am sure most of the rust will be gone once I have driven it for a few days.

I think we are at slight cross-purposes here, you're referring to the disc surface which is swept by the pads, yes, this will corrode after a car wash, or a few days of non-use.

I (and others) are referring to the centre of the disc (the "hub", which isn't touched by the pads) - Audi has a Dacromet finish (to protect it during production and storage) - while some other manufacturers paint or coat theirs so that it holds off surface corrosion, keeping it cosmetically "nice" for longer.

Reactions: Daveotto
Not really, as in the showroom that is a different matter, once they leave the showroom then it isn't their responsibilty. I think you are confusing the two senarios..

I would say it is there responsibility to protect there image after it leaves the showroom aswell as in the showroom.

The difference being that they are more protective in the showroom where the money is exchanging hands.

My car is perfectly fine at this moment, and being a keen detailer will cause me no problem in painting and protecting. However, I suppose you could relate it to buying a house, where the seller paints over damp patch every time someone comes to view (score) there house. With the view that once money has exchanged hands it's a case of tuff .....

Well they are obviously more 'protective' when a inspection is about to happen. You might wish to say they should be afterwards but really its just another mass produced car and if anyone seriously believes that spending more money for an a3 should buy them into anything else is misguided..

Reactions: Gazjs

My 63 plate A3 is just fine, and the discs have rusted less than other cars I've owned and less than some of those pictures. I wonder if some of it is due to agressive wheel cleaning chemicals... Mine's only been washed by me (apart from the one time I asked Oxford Audi not to wash it, so they did anyway!), and I've never used any chemicals on the wheels.