Retro fit DIS

StompOn

Reaction score
hey guy been a while since i was on here back when i had my A80 tdi im lookin at getting myself a A4 tdi sport but id like to put a trip computer on it to show mpg and all that good stuff....ive done a search all i get tho is stuff about the b6 :( can anyone help me with isit possible if so how hard and whats needed....the cars a 1999 T plate sport trim so 3 spoke wheel leather bucket type seat n etc cheers

Surprised it doesnt have a DIS if its a sport tbh?

They can be fitted, assuming you can find suitable clocks. Some wiring does need added though, as well as the stalk.

My 96 sport has it so a 99 should have it too.Have you viewed the car? On mine the dis can be visually switched off (but still keeps track of figures even though the display is blank) sure this wasn't the case?

the pictures shows it doesnt all area for symbols to show and 2 narrow strips at the bottom i guess could have some data maybe i dont know....but defo not full dis

Heh thats a bit mental!

Its an early facelift model, which appears to have been optioned up with the sport pack fitted with leather option, yet they've specified the poverty spec dash cluster.

You should be able to retrofit the DIS, but you'll need a cluster from a '97.5 to '99 tdi. Most facelifts have a digital clock and a different immo system and the wiring is quite different. You may have an issue with the alarm if you use a prefacelift cluster, Mark managed to cure it by removing an odd wire from the harness though.

When your buying, use the clock as your guide. <97.5 cars have a clock with many markers and no digits, and again the wiring on those is different to yours.

Also bear in mind that the cluster houses the cars immobiliser, so will need reprogrammed with suitable equipment (VagTacho).

yea i thought it was a bit odd to not have dis its got everything else climate leather sports pack as uve said.

.i also didnt think they had the immo built into it this earlyer i thought it was only the later digi clocks that had that? how much of an effort isit to sort out the immo codding?

do you think its about right for the money also while where on the subject :) cheers guys

Last edited:
they've all got immo, even right back to 1995, although pre-97 cars have a seperate box rather than it being built into the cluster.

Seems a little expensive to me, but then i'm used to pricing of petrol cars, so its probably normal for a oil burner, ebay tends to be a pretty decent guide to the minimum price for a car.

cheers buddy for ur reply i ended up doing a glass's guide price check and come up with 1600 private and 2200 at a forcort....im trying to find a write up/how to guide on fitting fis to a b5 a4 but im having no luck at all... someone help please