Replaced faulty EGT... NO POWER!

ceS3r

Reaction score
Hello all.

Car is an Audi S3 8L BAM 225

I've been having an EGT sensor problem for quite some time now. I was getting an implausible signal or short to plus. I decided to buy the EGT repair kit from the guys at Poland that goes for 40 euros. According to different forums, this kit works very well and it's a cheaper alternative from the Audi OEM one.

So, an electrician friend of mine who has fixed some EGTs already with the kit, fixed mine. Plugged in the car the black box again, clear codes, and went for a spin. What was my surprise? The car had no power at WOT. When the boost gets to 14lbs (stock) the car just sputters and no power whatsoever. Scanned the car, and I had something about EGT bank 1 limit reached. Other than that, no misfire, nothing, other than the Oxygen sensor B1S1 which is faulty (yes, I know I need to replace it. It's already on its way). Made some logs and the EGT is reading fine. 400c at idle and about 600~800c on WOT. I electrically disconnected the EGT and I have full power again.

Could it be that the Oxygen sensor PLUS the now working EGT might be working together and pulling the car back? I have no other option yet to wait for the Oxygen Sensor to arrive and make some tests, but I wanted to ask here in the forum if my symptoms were normal or somebody has experienced the same?

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Codes:

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Thursday, 23 November 2017, 22:47:15:0
Control Module Part Number: 8N0 906 018 BJ
Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT G01 0001
Software Coding: 26710
Work Shop Code: WSC 01236
VCID: 7A8771EB75C7
Additional Info: WAUZZZ8L031201201 AUZ7Z0B2092949
4 Faults Found:
17524 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1: Open Circuit
P1116 - 35-00 - -
17511 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1: Performance too Low
P1103 - 35-00 - -
17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
P1114 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17864 - Exhaust Gas Temp Regulation for Bank 1: Limit Reached
P1456 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Fix the known problems and go from there... lambda is very important for the engine to run...

The code its thrown suggests you have exceeded the EGT's high limit of 1100 degrees...

The replacement EGT boards are generally for S4's... some S4 EGT sensors use a different resolution to the S3 ones... are you sure you bought one suitable to replace the S3 sensor?...

Whats likely to have happened is you have run so long without a working EGT sensor that the over fuelling has killed the lambda and becuass it just runs rich all the time there has been enough unregulated fuel to allow the car to run as lambda control is off when EGT is in protection mode...

Now you have a working EGT the fuelling strategies are back online but cannot work as there is no working lambda... fix this...

<tuffty/>

Fix the known problems and go from there... lambda is very important for the engine to run...

The code its thrown suggests you have exceeded the EGT's high limit of 1100 degrees...

The replacement EGT boards are generally for S4's... some S4 EGT sensors use a different resolution to the S3 ones... are you sure you bought one suitable to replace the S3 sensor?...

Whats likely to have happened is you have run so long without a working EGT sensor that the over fuelling has killed the lambda and becuass it just runs rich all the time there has been enough unregulated fuel to allow the car to run as lambda control is off when EGT is in protection mode...

Now you have a working EGT the fuelling strategies are back online but cannot work as there is no working lambda... fix this...

<tuffty/>

Hello Tuffty, thanks for your response.

Yes, I indeed specified the supplier that I needed the S3 one. He told me S3 and S4 EGTs were different and sent me the S3 one.

Makes sense that the EGT killed the lambda, so yeah, I'll wait for the oxygen sensor to arrive and check again.

he did'nt used to do any other type of board.. only s4 ones..
s4 ones only start measuring from 900'c.. not from 200'c like the s3