EGT Probe/sensor.

Tomsy

KERNOW
Reaction score
Hi, I've just finished changing out my old over boosting Chinese Turbo and the Garage that replaced it for a previous owner put in this turbo that didn't have a EGT hole so they just let it dangle at the back of the engine, (still plugged in at the other end) what issues would this have caused?
I have a genuine Borg Warner unit now with it plugged in and no overboosting.
P.s Audi s3 8l AMK.
Thanks.

It will affect the ECU's ability to protect the engine when it gets hot...

You need it fitted ideally in the original place but failing that you will at least need to get and EGT boss welded onto the downpipe and the map adjusted to allow for the difference in temperature readings...

K04's run hot... don't know if yours is modded/mapped but as std S3's run hot when pushed and the maps are coded to run lean for emissions... the EGT probe is there to add fuel to help cool the cylinders when EGT's get too high... which they do... even when mapped...

<tuffty/>

It will affect the ECU's ability to protect the engine when it gets hot...

You need it fitted ideally in the original place but failing that you will at least need to get and EGT boss welded onto the downpipe and the map adjusted to allow for the difference in temperature readings...

K04's run hot... don't know if yours is modded/mapped but as std S3's run hot when pushed and the maps are coded to run lean for emissions... the EGT probe is there to add fuel to help cool the cylinders when EGT's get too high... which they do... even when mapped...

<tuffty/>
Thanks for the reply, the old turbo was already like this, whoever fitted it just bodged it and left it to dangle so I've fitted it to the new k04.
I hope it's better now.
Thanks <tuffty/>