Registration not recognised

aki_1983

Reaction score
Hi all,

I pick up my first Audi tomorrow but I have had trouble getting some insurance companies to recognise my registration.

I have changed my current insurance with Greenlight over using the car model as they couldn't find the car, also a quick quote from Admiral failed to pick it up. oddly though, compare the market picked it up no problem.

I have just done a dvla search which also came up blank.

is this something I should be worried about? A quick Google search would seem to suggest this is quite a common occurrence but thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem.

cheers

Mike

Is it new or used?
Has it come off a private number plate recently?
is it a grey import?

its used, 2010 model and as far as I know its not an import. will ask the garage tomorrow to see if they can explain.

it just seems odd that compare the market can recognise it but nobody else can.

no its not private plate. unless as sliced says, it may have come off one.

insurance was changed OK so as long as I don't get hammered by ANPRs and hassled then I'll be happy.

Number plate error? We had a brand new Transit Minibus delivered last year, driven to us by the dealer. It was only two days later I realised that the number plate didn't match the paperwork provided! They had somehow got two random letter thrown in. My boss and even the handover guy didn't notice!

Maybe someone had made a wrong plate up for the Audi?

picked the car up yesterday and all seems fine. the garage said it had a private plate on before they got it.

apparently, there are a few different systems the insurance companies use. which is why some companies recognise the plate (selling garage / compare market) and some don't (admiral / Greenlight) for example.

just slightly strange dvla don't recognise it