Rear diffuser removal

Chop.

Reaction score
So this was my job today

Sorry if this has been put up here already but I was doing it today and took some picks so thought I'd stick it up

1: locate back bumper, at rear of car

2: underneath you will find 3 torx screws T25 remove all 3

3: once these are out its really just a case of pulling the diffuser part away from the back bumper towards you, I'm quite a big guy and it took a fair pull to get it to start so don't be shy, start at either side depending what hand is easier and pull to the middle

Only thing I would say is be careful at the thinnest part right about the tail pipes as the rest still has a good hold and too much force could bend it

4: Basically that it pull the whole lot off job done

5: when replacing its worth a few squirts of fairy liquid onto the clips as this helps it slip in nicely

Reactions: rjwojcik, GloGiacomina, gary_a4_quattro and 5 others
Nice one, thinking of spraying my rear diffuser. Thing is mine is a white avant and I was thinking of painting it white to match the rear bumper. Not sure though what it would look like!

Reactions: Chop.
I colour matched the diffuser on my A4 and now on my A5, not many people do this, but I think it looks good.

Nice job chop.
JG

Do you have any pictures of the colour matched rear?

Thanks

Yeh mine was grey didn't match any other part of the car but most importantly it wasn't black !!

Thanks No problem, if it helps at least one person out then it's worth the time

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro, RS5 JON and Archies
@razza1 no problem

If you have the same chrome bar as me it in screws from the back so would be easy to take off and then paint diffuser

Good luck

Reactions: razza1
The A4, Dynamic diffuser.

Not the best one of the A5, but the only one I have just now, hope they help.

JG
Thanks! Might have to play with photoshop!

Reactions: RS5 JON
I tried doing this today, and had to give up. I managed to get them off one side but as I got round the inside of the left tailpipe (after coming from the outside left), the tab was just starting to break and the diffuser was bending....didn't fancy paying for a new one so out it back, which was a 'mare as they were now at angles since the whole diffuser wasn't off.
Good luck if you're going to try this, I'm just going to mask it up and paint in situ....

Yeh you need to be careful at the tail pipe section but still give it plenty force, mine started doing the same but being as hashy as I am I bashed on and it came off

You keeping the chrome bar then ?

Sod that, problem is you have to start at a tailpipe section, could see it starting to actually tear before about to break. It might have come off with a tug, but couldn't risk it tbh. Trying to colour it up cheap and s new diffuser doesn't fit that criteria :)

You're a brave/crazy guy for getting yours off ;)

Diy is the way to go

Haha thanks, years of being an hgv fitter when in doubt brute force and ignorance get the job done ( one way or another )

Reactions: xpoweruk and razza1
I did see this thread yesterday and it confirmed that I will be doing it, your car looks much better with it black. If only black was standard?!

Funny you should say that I'm just in the process of changing my mirrors to black ( bottom half was yellow ) and was gona give the diffuser another go in black for a while :)

Are all the valance from the b7 range the same? Looking at replacing the one on my cabrio, but not sure if they're model specific.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.PNG
    IMG_1204.PNG
    185 KB · Views: 1,013
Are all the valance from the b7 range the same? Looking at replacing the one on my cabrio, but not sure if they're model specific.

I'm not sure,but this is the B8 section :salute:

Good post chop mate. Im having mine sprayed gloss black because that grey goes with nothing on the car. Dont know why it wasnt black as standard

sent from my portable telephone box

I have a 2013 audi a4 that i want to replace the hard black plastic rear diffuser with the s-line matte silver rear diffuser. Im good with working on cars been doing stuff maintenance and stereo installs but havent done much body work and as it may be although i am 4'11" and 100lbs i been called "the beast" bc i have freakishly strong strength for a woman of my size but im worried that it still wont be enough strength for what you are saying. Do you think if i bump it with a cloth wrapped rubber mallet it will pop the clips out? Or should i get some ppl to help and yank on it with me?

Last edited:
@GloGiacomina ' the beast ' I like that :tongueclosed:

If you could get a couple of plastic trim tools or something like that you might be able to lever the clips off between the bumper and the diffuser without marking anything once you get it started it's not too bad it was just the first bit that's the worst

Reactions: TechNick
If you could get a couple of plastic trim tools or something like that you might be able to lever the clips off between the bumper and the diffuser without marking anything once you get it started it's not too bad it was just the first bit that's the worst
^This!
Start from the middle and work outwards. If you're worried about damaging the paint on the bumper, put some masking/detailers tape on first to lever against.
Refitting is the reverse - i.e. angle it downwards slightly and hook the outer clips in first, raise it to the correct height and pop them in from the outside inwards.
Done this successfully a few times now, given my background! :)

Alternatively (and probably safest way), remove the bumper first to get to the clips from the inside.
I'm reassured this only actually takes a few minutes (customer received and fitted one of my diffusers yesterday by following this guide - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/389043-DIY-Removing-Rear-Bumper-Valence).

Reactions: GloGiacomina and Chop.
I have a 2013 audi a4 that i want to replace the hard black plastic rear diffuser with the s-line matte silver rear diffuser. Im good with working on cars been doing stuff maintenance and stereo installs but havent done much body work and as it may be although i am 4'11" and 100lbs i been called "the beast" bc i have freakishly strong strength for a woman of my size but im worried that it still wont be enough strength for what you are saying. Do you think if i bump it with a cloth wrapped rubber mallet it will pop the clips out? Or should i get some ppl to help and yank on it with me?
Stupid question, but is your a4 an SE or S-Line...?
Only reason for asking is that you mention you plan to fit an S-Line diffuser, but presumably if you already had an S-Line you wouldn't need to, so therefore it's likely you're hoping to fit an S-Line diffuser to an SE bumper...?

""5: when replacing its worth a few squirts of fairy liquid onto the clips as this helps it slip in nicely ""

*resists rude comment..

I definitely like the butt in Black on yours :D

Haha no idea what your talking about @Meemo :laughing:

Yeh the black was good while it lasted, its anthracite just now to match the wheels :sunglasses:

Stupid question, but is your a4 an SE or S-Line...?
Only reason for asking is that you mention you plan to fit an S-Line diffuser, but presumably if you already had an S-Line you wouldn't need to, so therefore it's likely you're hoping to fit an S-Line diffuser to an SE bumper...?
Its an s-line style looking faux looking diffuser made for an a4

^This!
Start from the middle and work outwards. If you're worried about damaging the paint on the bumper, put some masking/detailers tape on first to lever against.
Refitting is the reverse - i.e. angle it downwards slightly and hook the outer clips in first, raise it to the correct height and pop them in from the outside inwards.
Done this successfully a few times now, given my background! :)

Alternatively (and probably safest way), remove the bumper first to get to the clips from the inside.
I'm reassured this only actually takes a few minutes (customer received and fitted one of my diffusers yesterday by following this guide - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/389043-DIY-Removing-Rear-Bumper-Valence).
@TechNick what trim remover tool do i need do you have a link of what it looks like or link to buy one?

@TechNick what trim remover tool do i need do you have a link of what it looks like or link to buy one?
I've got mine to hand as just replaced my diffuser again at the weekend, as it happens, as part of the last minute prep for VAG Tuner Live!

I've got a selection of them, but these 2 are my favourites - the larger 'crow bar' one for the upper centre section, then the smaller one for the curved outer edges.

Using these 2 tools I swapped out the diffuser in just a few minutes, even with the huge exhaust tips in the way!

Just search for 'plastic trim removal tool' on eBay - loads to choose from!
Some detailing tape around the edges of the bumper/tips helps protect them during the process too

d4e6971890d050237ae4d1fd089193ac.jpg

2f71e83344b6a1cb75daa0ad217af1c6.jpg

dd97f24dac539a48f3445058b80fd529.jpg

4fba73017e42d841ee50ad490c1c8694.jpg

14d53c086a3185cae7545d5104cb0067.jpg

Reactions: Chop. and GloGiacomina
I've got mine to hand as just replaced my diffuser again at the weekend, as it happens, as part of the last minute prep for VAG Tuner Live!

I've got a selection of them, but these 2 are my favourites - the larger 'crow bar' one for the upper centre section, then the smaller one for the curved outer edges.

Using these 2 tools I swapped out the diffuser in just a few minutes, even with the huge exhaust tips in the way!

Some detailing tape around the edges of the bumper/tips helps protect them during the process too

Awesome thank you im gonna get the tools and try it. Is it difficult to put new diffuser on? Do ypu use same to to get it on as you do to get it off?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Awesome thank you im gonna get the tools and try it. Is it difficult to put new diffuser on? Do ypu use same to to get it on as you do to get it off?

So helpful thank you i just found a set like ones you have pictured its the 2 you have in pics plus 3 additional ones off of amazon for 8 bucks.

NP. You shouldn't need the trim removal tools for refitting - they're only needed for... well... removal!
To refit, I recommend angling the diffuser down and hooking in the lower outer clips first (as they're the trickiest to line up, due to the curvature), then angle the diffuser back up and push the clips in from the outside edges inwards.
A bit of lube (e.g. liquid soap) on the clips should help them slide in that bit easier (ooh err missus! ).

Liquid soap got it thanks lol

What diffuser is this and will it fit my s line a4 b8? How much does it cost also?