Quick S3 Saloon Review

Chrislake90

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents! I’ve had my S3 Saloon for a month now, and covered 800 miles. I thought it is about time I give a honest review for those that may browse the forum looking for an honest owners review instead of the opinion from popular motoring publications that only have access to the car for a day or two at best.

Firstly – Running costs. Now, I’m 26 and my better half is a bit older than me at 32, so as well as being a bit of a toy boy, this means our insurance is very reasonable for a car with 297bhp. With both of us on the insurance, and mileage limit of 8,000 per year (the same as our finance agreement I believe) we pay a premium of £411 per year. This includes a few bells and whistles, including replacement key cover and a better class courtesy car.

Fuel economy was initially a bit of a shocker for me, after coming from a diesel A6 which encourages no pace at all. In the S3 we are averaging 22mpg for our 800 miles. Now, to be fair to the car, I only have a 6 mile commute each way to work which can be stop start traffic for half the journey. We have thrown a couple of trips to Cambridge in with that (around 55 miles each way with 80% motorways). I didn’t buy the car for fuel economy of course, that would be a bit silly.

Interior and comfort – A pleasant surprise! I have found the interior to be a lovely place to sit, and even at motorway speeds the road noise is not too intrusive. Being a saloon, the car is automatically allotted Mag Ride. Throw it in comfort and you can happily munch miles all day long, so long as you don’t mind the fuel bill. The MMI is fine. Not perfect by any means but is more than capable for what you need. Nav works fine, although it gives instructions from the bottom of the screen upwards which seems a bit backwards to me. Our car is specced with the B&O stereo and at first I was not impressed. After a fiddle with the settings and some guidance from forum members, I am now more than happy with the quality. Once you get it set for your ears, its pure bliss and adds to the enjoyment of long journeys. There is plenty of room in the front and back, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use the car for a long journey with 3 passengers (Wouldn’t want to take 4 as the middle seat isn’t very good for a long trip) the boot is useable, but being a saloon the opening isn’t huge. But you wouldn’t be considering a saloon if boot access was going to be an issue, would you?

Driving- the most important, impressive and main reason people will be looking at this car. I’ve had a good chance to have a play with the car now, and I have not been disappointed. The power and torque available at pretty much the whole rev range, makes the car very useable. I have the S-tronic and to me the engine and gearbox are a match made in heaven. A gentle push of the throttle will see you up to motorway speeds in seconds. I’m not talking in dynamic mode with foot to the floor balls out mentalism. I’m talking a gentle push. The car is smooth, controllable and gives ample confidence that you can make that gap! But now, switch the car to dynamic, set yourself into your ‘race car’ position and put your foot through the floor. It’s like being on the Starship Enterprise when they engage warp speed. Everything turns into a blur. The note from the exhaust turns heads, gives a huge rush of adrenalin and make the ladies go weak at the knees! Lucky the car comes with leather if you get my drift! Talking of drift – I find the Haldex 4WD system more than capable. Let’s face it, we aren’t taking this on a track, we are living with it every day, in real world conditions.

Conclusion – I am hard to please. I change my cars often and its becoming a bit of a running joke between friends and colleagues. 40odd cars in 7 years would show that. I honestly do not see me changing the S3 for anything within the next 2/3 years, unless they release an RS3 saloon, or I manage to win the lottery and buy an RS6. For an everyday car that will put a smile on your face when the opportunity presents its self – I don’t think you can get a more solid all-rounder!

Reactions: 41YN, Martinbanshee, Simon L and 9 others
Ladies and Gents! I’ve had my S3 Saloon for a month now, and covered 800 miles. I thought it is about time I give a honest review for those that may browse the forum looking for an honest owners review instead of the opinion from popular motoring publications that only have access to the car for a day or two at best.

Firstly – Running costs. Now, I’m 26 and my better half is a bit older than me at 32, so as well as being a bit of a toy boy, this means our insurance is very reasonable for a car with 297bhp. With both of us on the insurance, and mileage limit of 8,000 per year (the same as our finance agreement I believe) we pay a premium of £411 per year. This includes a few bells and whistles, including replacement key cover and a better class courtesy car.

Fuel economy was initially a bit of a shocker for me, after coming from a diesel A6 which encourages no pace at all. In the S3 we are averaging 22mpg for our 800 miles. Now, to be fair to the car, I only have a 6 mile commute each way to work which can be stop start traffic for half the journey. We have thrown a couple of trips to Cambridge in with that (around 55 miles each way with 80% motorways). I didn’t buy the car for fuel economy of course, that would be a bit silly.

Interior and comfort – A pleasant surprise! I have found the interior to be a lovely place to sit, and even at motorway speeds the road noise is not too intrusive. Being a saloon, the car is automatically allotted Mag Ride. Throw it in comfort and you can happily munch miles all day long, so long as you don’t mind the fuel bill. The MMI is fine. Not perfect by any means but is more than capable for what you need. Nav works fine, although it gives instructions from the bottom of the screen upwards which seems a bit backwards to me. Our car is specced with the B&O stereo and at first I was not impressed. After a fiddle with the settings and some guidance from forum members, I am now more than happy with the quality. Once you get it set for your ears, its pure bliss and adds to the enjoyment of long journeys. There is plenty of room in the front and back, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use the car for a long journey with 3 passengers (Wouldn’t want to take 4 as the middle seat isn’t very good for a long trip) the boot is useable, but being a saloon the opening isn’t huge. But you wouldn’t be considering a saloon if boot access was going to be an issue, would you?

Driving- the most important, impressive and main reason people will be looking at this car. I’ve had a good chance to have a play with the car now, and I have not been disappointed. The power and torque available at pretty much the whole rev range, makes the car very useable. I have the S-tronic and to me the engine and gearbox are a match made in heaven. A gentle push of the throttle will see you up to motorway speeds in seconds. I’m not talking in dynamic mode with foot to the floor balls out mentalism. I’m talking a gentle push. The car is smooth, controllable and gives ample confidence that you can make that gap! But now, switch the car to dynamic, set yourself into your ‘race car’ position and put your foot through the floor. It’s like being on the Starship Enterprise when they engage warp speed. Everything turns into a blur. The note from the exhaust turns heads, gives a huge rush of adrenalin and make the ladies go weak at the knees! Lucky the car comes with leather if you get my drift! Talking of drift – I find the Haldex 4WD system more than capable. Let’s face it, we aren’t taking this on a track, we are living with it every day, in real world conditions.

Conclusion – I am hard to please. I change my cars often and its becoming a bit of a running joke between friends and colleagues. 40odd cars in 7 years would show that. I honestly do not see me changing the S3 for anything within the next 2/3 years, unless they release an RS3 saloon, or I manage to win the lottery and buy an RS6. For an everyday car that will put a smile on your face when the opportunity presents its self – I don’t think you can get a more solid all-rounder!
@Chrislake90 - Great review & interesting thoughts
Thanks for taking the time :thumbs up:
A few photos of the car would be nice :)
^ This ;)

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Snake Pliskin
@Chrislake90 - Great review & interesting thoughts
Thanks for taking the time :thumbs up:

^ This ;)
Thanks!

Car is going to be detailed soon , just waiting for Audi to confirm they will cover the costs. I will post pics on this thread once its done. Don't really want to post any at the moment as its not as good as it could be if that makes sense!

Really good review and great you are enjoying the car so much and rightly so :sunglasses:

:sign pics:

Reactions: Zak0123, Rob2k68 and Chrislake90
Glad you're enjoying the car mate the S3 is a good all rounder indeed, your on your honeymoon period let's hope you keep feeling the same way about the car,had my car nearly a year got few wee issues but not large enough to post a thread on,my only slight criticism would be the S3's for one example speed 50 to 80 mph in top gear is pretty undramatic,hopefully something with a bit more torque/power for me the next time around

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
....for one example speed 50 to 80 mph in top gear is pretty undramatic,hopefully something with a bit more torque/power for me the next time around

******REMAP******

The extra 25%bhp and torque sorts that out.

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
ive had around 30odd cars in the past 4.5 years and this s3 is the first brand new car ive bought and im not disappointed tfsi engines are brilliant. i really like the saloon. perfect size

Reactions: pburv, Chrislake90 and Rob2k68
Wow.....
Between my wife and I we have had 54 cars in 27 years.....I thought we were bad!
However, Im nearly a year into my S3 and have no hankering for anything else.....apart from an RS3 but they are ridiculously expensive for just a bit more power - so your thought of keeping the car fir 2/3 years might just be doable!

Reactions: cpc_s3 and Chrislake90
******REMAP******

The extra 25%bhp and torque sorts that out.
A few year's ago it would have been remapped not long after l got the car, not now mate can't be ***** with possible car insurance and warranty issues

Reactions: Rob2k68
A few year's ago it would have been remapped not long after l got the car, not now mate can't be ***** with possible car insurance and warranty issues

There is that mate I totally get what you're saying. As an ex biker I found (dare I say it) that the 300bhp power delivery was too linear and just lacked that extra bit of fizz and excitement.

There is that mate I totally get what you're saying. As an ex biker I found (dare I say it) that the 300bhp power delivery was too linear and just lacked that extra bit of fizz and excitement.
To

Totally summed it up mate off the mark my S3 is faster than my ST was but when up and going there's not much of a performance difference at all,370 bhp is a nice number, where it does makes a real difference when on the move

Hi Chrislake90
I am just being curious , is your car not detailed to a good standard when you are waiting to see if Audi will pay for getting it detailed properly .?
ps Great write up .

Great write up and very much mirrors how I feel :)

6 months on and as far as I'm concerned there is no competition..............................:whistle2:

Reactions: WarwickL
Wow.....
Between my wife and I we have had 54 cars in 27 years.....I thought we were bad!
However, Im nearly a year into my S3 and have no hankering for anything else.....apart from an RS3 but they are ridiculously expensive for just a bit more power - so your thought of keeping the car fir 2/3 years might just be doable!

I made the mistake of looking at the RS3 area of the forum. Do not make the same mistake as me and im now itching for a grey RS3! Preferably saloon when they arrive. Lets hope for a substantial pay rise to make the man math add up .

Hi Chrislake90
I am just being curious , is your car not detailed to a good standard when you are waiting to see if Audi will pay for getting it detailed properly .?
ps Great write up .

It had a few marks in the paint when i collected it. They tried to correct it but ended up putting swirl marks all over the car so have now agreed to let a professional detailer do it and cover the cost thankfully!

Great write up and very much mirrors how I feel :)

6 months on and as far as I'm concerned there is no competition..............................:whistle2:

Thanks :) I agree - as an all rounder it has no competition. Especially in saloon form. I did however has some jealous friends try to tell me i should have spent money elsewhere. A peugeot GTI of some sort (yeah right!) and a bmw 2 series. Crazy people!!!

Reactions: Simon L
I made the mistake of looking at the RS3 area of the forum. Do not make the same mistake as me and im now itching for a grey RS3! Preferably saloon when they arrive. Lets hope for a substantial pay rise to make the man math add up .

It had a few marks in the paint when i collected it. They tried to correct it but ended up putting swirl marks all over the car so have now agreed to let a professional detailer do it and cover the cost thankfully!

Thanks :) I agree - as an all rounder it has no competition. Especially in saloon form. I did however has some jealous friends try to tell me i should have spent money elsewhere. A peugeot GTI of some sort (yeah right!) and a bmw 2 series. Crazy people!!!

Yep, one born every minute mate!! lol

.....for one example speed 50 to 80 mph in top gear is pretty undramatic,hopefully something with a bit more torque/power for me the next time around

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Nice bit of 'TRACK DRIVING' Rob:busted cop:

Absolutely !! - my private air strip does have some good uses whilst I save up for the Learjet 45 XR .....

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Absolutely !! - my private air strip does have some good uses whilst I save up for the Learjet 45 XR .....

Save up??!! Get outta here mate..............yer good for it we know you are!! lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
I may have to borrow your airstrip and max. out my car/space ship...lol
tumblr_lzrnhctD7E1r44mjwo1_500.gif

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
IMG 1727 IMG 1728 IMG 1729

Thought people would like to see the state of the paintwork after Essex Audi in Rayleigh had a go at it. Its currently in with Daryl at Offset and i will be posting pictures of it finished tomorrow :)

Oh dear looks like another dealer is employing 'malcolm' in the valet dept. ......:whistle2:

tuba_hello.jpg

Reactions: pburv
Oh dear looks like another dealer is employing 'malcolm' in the valet dept. ......:whistle2:

tuba_hello.jpg
Ha Ha .Even the missus laughed out loud on that one....His look mimmics many an Audi salesman ..lol

Reactions: Simon L
View attachment 80125 View attachment 80126 View attachment 80127

Thought people would like to see the state of the paintwork after Essex Audi in Rayleigh had a go at it. Its currently in with Daryl at Offset and i will be posting pictures of it finished tomorrow :)

WTF are they taking the P??? Think I'd have kicked off big time if I had collected mine in that state!

tuba_hello.jpg
:wtf: For you to go off looking for that picture is wrong!

WTF are they taking the P??? Think I'd have kicked off big time if I had collected mine in that state!

:wtf: For you to go off looking for that picture is wrong!

It's the smell of the cherry snow foam I can't myself........ lol

lol some sick puppies on here!

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
I apologise for Pb's behaviour...............he doesn't get out much!! lol

5iS58Dj.gif

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
IMG 1436 IMG 1439 IMG 1444 IMG 1447

Ladies and gents here is is finished! Just picked it up from Daryl at Offset Detailing and am very impressed. You've seen what it was like before hand so this really is astonishing.

Also, youtube video showing the detail.

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: DH81, nadsi77, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Reactions: Chrislake90
View attachment 80195 View attachment 80196 View attachment 80197 View attachment 80198

Ladies and gents here is is finished! Just picked it up from Daryl at Offset Detailing and am very impressed. You've seen what it was like before hand so this really is astonishing.

Also, youtube video showing the detail.

Thanks for looking!

Very smart Chrislake90..Believe it or not it's the first black S3 saloon I have seen on this forum...I think...lol (can't be many):footy:

Just realised this is the same car I was looking at on Detailing World .
Did you send before and after photos to the dealer Principal , all managers and the salesman and the Cleaning Team

Very smart Chrislake90..Believe it or not it's the first black S3 saloon I have seen on this forum...I think...lol (can't be many):footy:

Excellent! I've not seen another around yet, does look good in black but just a pig to keep clean.

Just realised this is the same car I was looking at on Detailing World .
Did you send before and after photos to the dealer Principal , all managers and the salesman and the Cleaning Team

Ah really? I will have to have a look on there and find it :) I am waiting for a response from Audi UK and then i will pass along to the sales manager. He did tell me that there was nothing wrong with the paint work and "its never going to be perfect" so i cant wait to show him... as you can imagine!