Quattro gearbox!

kennyb636

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the A6 2.7 bi turbo quattro gearbox from a 99 model, would fit a 98 A4 2.8v6 quattro?
Thanks for any help Kenny.

Nope mate, the 2.8 v6 had 5 speed gearbox the 2.7 TT is 6 speed. You can fit a diesel v6 tdi one on the 2.7 and it will give you a longer final drive/top speed as long as you find out what is the final ratio of your own rear diff. 1.8T quattro will fit as they came wit 5 speed gearbox but it might not work properly- have odd gears. Also the 1.9 Tdi quattro will fit the 2.8 and will also give you a higher top speed...but will need to use the 228mm clutch...wich might not fit the v6 crank !

Yes, but it wont drop streight in.

You'll need the 6 speed prop from an S4 or 2.5TDIQuattro A4, and you'll probably need to change the rear diff as the 6 speed has a 4.1 ratio and your 2.8 will have 3.8 iirc.

You'll also need the 6 speed gear linkage (not sure if the A6 one will work on an A4) and possibly the engine/tranny spacer from the 2.7 engine.

You may also find you'll need to swap the front driveshafts, as the A4 ones will have smaller inner CV's and the A6 ones might? be too long, although i'm not 100% certain on that.

Gear linkage will work on a4- they are the same IF 6 speed, the a6 driveshafts are longer and the CV joints/front bearings are also bigger. The prop. needs swapping with the 6 speed one and also the rear diff wich is a lot of work for little gain. Buy the right quattro box and be done with it much simpler !

I have a friend who's breaking a b5 audi a4 v6 tdi quattro, he has box, gear linkage,prop., diff and driveshafts + gearbox brackets so you can swap them over...and it will give you 6 speed with longer final drive but it wont be cheap ! I can give-you his number if interested !

I wouldnt run a TDI box on a petrol, the gearings just rubbish and it makes the motor feel completely gutless.

I guess it depends if he wants to fit it because his current box is broken, or as an upgrade?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, been a great help. But think I'll just wait to get the right box for my car as I've got everything just need the box and in no real rush. But thanks again for all the help.