Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

what rear set up do you have nick?

i also get lock in my car at the rear so i dont think they would slow down any quicker but maybe help with rear lift?
more stability maybe?

im on monkey suspension though so theres a lot of movement you wont be getting

Get rid of the abs because it is restrictive. We had standard discs and pads and calipers and I think I could have locked up all 4 at a ton on the track easily with our new pipe setup. Plus they worked brilliantly all day.

One comment I'll make Nick, and it's certainly not intended to be negative in the slightest - when you get a bit more seat time, and pick up the pace, you will definitely find that stock discs/calipers/pads are absolutely nowhere near good enough. Brakes will almost certainly be the first major shortfall you'll find on the car.

I don't find my ABS restrictive at all Nick, it very rarely kicks in in the dry, and my braking power is certainly WELL above average, braking seems to be where I gain quite a bit of time on track, although in turn, I am VERY harsh on brakes, so perhaps that's just me.

I've certainly never felt the ABS system has been a limitation though. The brakes are probably the best part of the car, and the bit which REALLY surprise people when they first come on track in it.

I also don't suffer with any locking of the rears, which leads me to wonder if it's perhaps a little under braked still. A strange one if Daz is getting rear lock up, on the same brakes, but with a heavier rear end!

I'm looking to experiement shortly with a slightly 'warmer' rear pad anyway. nothing too racey, but something a bit more capable than stock.

Been talking to Rob from Alumy Motorsport recently about how he's re-worked the top mounts in his Classiv VW Challenge mk4 golf. Sounds like something I want to do, and it's easier than I anticipated too. 3 degrees of camber here we come!

I'd also like to reduce the rear toe in a little more soon, but I need to get the alignment checked to see if it's still where I think it is before I make any more changes.

I wasn't having a dig. I was just wandering if maybe as your abs isn't needed very often if you might go for getting rid. Our brakes are no where near up to the level we want them at and yeah we are going no where near as fast I thought I'd give my two cents of what we had as the subject of brakes came up. Is it possible your rears don't lock due to the extra weight of cage and also downforce that you have over the rear must make a difference.

We will be upgrading our brakes shortly to get even more but on the whole standards are not as bad as people make out. Hopefully will experience your brakes at some point which will probably make ours feel rubbish.

I think you'll really love a brake upgrade mate. I mean REALLY love it.

So often it's entirely possible to be 100% happy with what you've got, and simply not realise just how much better it's possible to get.

In performance terms, I'm already braking harder than my brakes can really cope with for extended periods, and not having issues with locking up at all.

If I were to ditch the ABS, I'd need to spend time sorting out the rear Bias, as it's currently controlled via the EBD within the ABS module.

There could well be gains to be had from increasing rear brake force until just before the point of lock up, but who knows?

If / when I eventually go racing, I'll be forced to ditch the ABS system anyway, as most regs outlaw it.

Until then, I'll plod on as is. I think there are other areas where the brakes can be improved first, such as sorting out a consistent vac feed to ensure a constant pedal.

To be fair the other two cars I drove on track one was a kit car with worryingly bad brakes and the other was a tt which felt like driving a barge round the track. Are you going to be at ADI this year? We had to bias the brakes quite a lot. Wasn't actually too bad when the brakes locked on rear other then the big cloud of smoke that followed me into the corner.

I was trying to get a bit more how shall I say um Ballsy with the brakes but no where near the confidence you have with yours.

The rbf 660 brake fluid is pretty damn good too. So thanks for discovering that one.

Try and stop us. Is there a sign up sheet to get in for a passenger lap? Can we be at the top?

Generally, lots of people want a ride, and it's pretty much impossible to take everyone out. Especially as Dad and I share the driving.

Last year I took S3 Paul out and a few others, he's been following our progress for years and always involved on the thread and asking questions etc, and he'd made the trip down to ADI from way oop North, so it seemed fair to take Paul for a blast.

If you're coming all the way from (Fake) France, I'd be more than happy to take you for a few laps. I think I really owe Daz a few laps this year too, seeing as he's mananged to unfortunately avoid the passengers seat for so long!

Reactions: daz-20vt
Yeah fair enough. All depends on how it goes. Would just be good to chat to everyone in person. I'm not very good at the whole typing thing. Also just to see it in real life would be good. Going to see what the boats look like next week for getting over. Fingers crossed all will work out.

We are British not really French at all but with the perks of the weather sometimes. Jersey is closer to France so they can be classed as French.

I would highly recommend a track day in France tho. Tracks are awesome weather usually pretty good and more often then not open pit so drive as much or little as you want. Plus more potent fuel then we get here.

i dont get full on rear lock
it skips but as i say my coilovers are so soft the front dives
rear lifts and i believe thats why

so you dont get any at all nick?
so whats your plans with brakes if you are already killing them

yeh ibhave been very patient but i also understand how important times at curby are and obviously you and your dad have to take priority
hoping that ill also be in adi to this year but seeing you do a day pass i will have time to jump in and i cant ****** wait
if anything for the tuition lol

We are British not really French at all but with the perks of the weather sometimes. Jersey is closer to France so they can be classed as French.

I know you're not really mate, I just like winding you up because I'm a bad person :laugh: it'd be great to see you at ADI, I would say to put a face to the name, but we've seen enough selfies in your thread :laugh:

i dont get full on rear lock
it skips but as i say my coilovers are so soft the front dives
rear lifts and i believe thats why

so you dont get any at all nick?
so whats your plans with brakes if you are already killing them

Never suffered from any rear locking at all mate no, my fronts lock first, hence me thinking I could be under braked, but then, it could just be perfectly distributed currently, who knows.

I don't really plan to alter the brakes at all at the moment, other than new discs and pads, and see how they get on. I've just got to accept that they will run pretty hot for now, and pad wear will suffer as a result.

If / when we do ever change brakes, rather than a sticking plaster of slightly larger discs, or a slightly larger caliper on the existing disc, it'll be a full setup change to larger wheels, calipers, discs, and pads all in 1 big hit.

That's probably a few years away though!

Prawn what brake set up do you use?
Im trying to get my car ready for a track day in July, and I dont trust my brakes on the road never mind a track
Im currently running Standard calipers, padgid disks and DS3000 Pads.
What would you reccomend?

I run a custom AP racing setup Scotty, with custom floating bells from Bill and the same calipers Bill runs on his 600bhp Ibiza race car.

I'd recommend it highly, but you won't get any change from £2k if buying new, and that won't include pads either!

The best off the shelf solution available to you is the 323mm brembo 4 pot setup from an LCR. They're readily available, bolt straight on, and have a huge range of pad options off the shelf.

Reactions: scotty_24
Cool. I was searching high and low for a set of LCR Brembos but couldnt find any in decent knick, so I bough my seats this month.
Now ive dont that and im skint, millions of sets of Cupra R brembos have come up for sale.
Typical!

hahaha
take your time and get a bargain paul!
im dying to get bigger brakes
no idea why tho

Grrrrrrr!!!!

Need to change the alternator. Is started whining on idle, and this evening, the battery light flickered on for the first time ever.

Maybe fit an underdrive pulley if you haven't already. Would make the alternators life easier and gain a bit of power.

I THINK I've got a spare in the garage, but I'll have to check tomorrow morning.

Nice simple job if I have a spare :)

Just hope it'll last long enough to get me to the pub and back this evening :racer:

Busy week here!

Ash popped over on weds evening to change the oil level sensor and do an oil change on his LCR:

Then last night we headed up to the Hut for another little pub meet. I think there were 10-12 of us in about 7 cars. Was good fun:

Reactions: scotty_24
the 'Evo' is actually a 225bhp hybrid turbo'd Lancer TDi of all strange things on the planet!

The 550bhp Evo 10 at Bedford last year wasn't overly difficult to dispatch though :racer: and the owner was so upset he came and found me and demanded to know how much above 500bhp I had due to how quickly he disappeared into our mirrors :laugh:

He was quite upset to hear the A3 was having issues and running on actuator pressure haha

Reactions: JohnStan725, A3-Lee, S3Alex and 7 others
Awesome weekend in PrawnLand™

Had Ticcy over on Friday night to put the world to rights, then went for a blast on Saturday morning.

Then Victoria and I spent the rest of the weekend with Pierre (Frenchman) and his lovely lady pretending to be grown ups :laugh:

Good times!

Reactions: shadow1993 and scotty_24
I'm afraid I've had that for years mate! I couldn't tell you where it came from!

Frenchman originally bought it for his A3 about 8 years ago, it then passed to Matt and Plunky on that A3 (both former ASN members) before I bought the bonnet, just a few weeks before Jardo bought the car from Plunky, and got upset that I'd stolen the bonnet :laugh:

they are available but from memory 600 quid ish
look good and light but thats fairly steep

shame no one makes more carbon for these

I like the idea of clear plastic everything. Would be quite funny.

Reactions: Lavis89
ill be having lessons every time i go!!!
it would be nice to have a car that works so i can have lessons in it!!

Lots going on lately. 1x very busy Prawn.

Found time last night to go out for a 40 minute thrash at sun set.

Was awesome. I even made time to stop and take some daft pictures whilst it was cooling down :)

Reactions: schwartza3 and scotty_24