(Potential) Owners : Is the S3 going to be enough for you?

F

Foxtrot_Oscar

Simple question really. I have had my S3 for about 6 weeks now and nearly 3000 miles. I love it, pure and simple.

However, news of the new TTS (2015), TTRS (15/16) and RS3 (15) in the pipeline, plus, the revamp of the A4 and A5 meaning new performance versions due in the next year or so (S & RS) has got me thinking about the next move already. I had planned on the TTS next and then an RS of some description but with the S3 being such a powerful motor and a sweet spot in the range, not to mention the best interior after the A7, I seem to be giving this all way too much time.

What are your thoughts? What's your next move (even if you are still waiting on this one ;) )

Reactions: Dazzeroo
Yep having the same thoughts after 5 months ownership and 1,600 miles.

More than likely I will opt for the RS3 with carbon ceramics (will never use them to their potential I doubt - but they will be a must) - I will probably wait though until after the face lift which I think will be middle / end 2016.

TTS doesn't appeal to me but be intresting to see what they do with S4 as guess that will need a bigger gap between it and the S3 than the current model.

Last edited:
I am very surprised that the new TT does not have the option of Adaptive Cruise Control .... but then they offer Parking Assist! The latter is not a feature that I would have thought featured high up on a TT owner's list!

You can always go 1 better, but at extra cost. For me, the S3 ticks every box at the moment and I can't wait to take delivery. I've driven Astons, GTR's etc, and yes, if I had the money I would probably set my sights on something else. Think I will be very content with what the S3 has to offer.

Reactions: DommyR, Louay, Dazzeroo and 1 other person
I'll be sticking with the S3 until I'm due a change as it's by far the best all-rounder for me. After that I'll see what's on offer but most likely another Audi.

Reactions: s31jay
Don't get me wrong, I love the S3 and as I said in my OP it is the sweet spot in the range at the moment. But, I also can't help looking at what is coming up and thinking about what I will do in a 'few' years. I simply cannot afford to swap for at least two years, if I decide there is anything better. It may well be another S3.

Reactions: j0nny2013
As soon as the RS3 saloon is available to order, i will be going for it. I know the temptation will be to much.

I'm really hoping it looks like the s3 clubsport

I do love my S3 for now though :)

Mine lasted 11 months, so no it wasn't, not even close.

Depends when and where you drive the car I think. If you drive a lot of motorway or B roads then more power could be more fun but for me, the S3 albeit haven't took delivery yet is more than enough power wise for most people. All down to personal preference. My brother had S4 and said he would never need more power, just took delivery of RS5 and loves it! There is always another car that takes Ya fancy haha. I am terrible for it! The RS3 will be amazing no doubt but too much power for what I would need. I mainly drive around town!

I have an S3 8v since March 2014. Love her. The only thing she misses is a 7-speed gearbox.
BTW yesterday I took my mother to order an A1 and at the dealer there was a new TT!!!!! What a wonderful, gorgeus, sexy car.

My next move would be a Boxster S 981. But I'd surely spend a tought to the new TT.

The only thing I dislike is that crappy LCD instead of the classic analogue instrument. I spend my whole day in front of a PC monitor, I do not want to do this also in my car.

Reactions: mcnallys
See, I'm not a lover of the new TT, it's a mix of the Mk1 & Mk2 and a backwards step as far as I'm concerned.
I loved the shape of my Mk2 but was pretty disappointed when I saw the new one although the interior is nice, love the new steering wheel and digital dash.
Everyone's different I suppose.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3 and danilotto
I have an S3 8v since March 2014. Love her. The only thing she misses is a 7-speed gearbox.
BTW yesterday I took my mother to order an A1 and at the dealer there was a new TT!!!!! What a wonderful, gorgeus, sexy car.

My next move would be a Boxster S 981. But I'd surely spend a tought to the new TT.

The only thing I dislike is that crappy LCD instead of the classic analogue instrument. I spend my whole day in front of a PC monitor, I do not want to do this also in my car.

Couldn't agree more about the new TT. Was like the first time I sat in the 8V A3 for me - a beautiful thing inside and out. Massive step on over the last model. I can see it stealing some sales from the Boxster.

Also totally agree on the TT dash screen too - the pre-production version I sat in at a dealership defaulted to the sat nav screen when the dash was turned on and the speed / rev counter were quite difficult to distinguish from the map.

I suspect it will become quite common in time across a few cars in the Audi range

Interestingly, I went to an Audi Showcase event at Thruxton last week, and drove the RS7, RS4,R8 (on the roads around Thruxton) and 2 S3's an auto and a manual on the rack. The event was supposed to showcase the RS model range, but every one of the Audi staff that I talked to said that they should of had the S3 in the road line up as well, so that people could see how good a car it is when compared even to the RS range. If the new RS3 is as behaved on the road as the S3 it will be a phenomenal car

Reactions: Scotty2011, Martinbanshee, Foxtrot_Oscar and 1 other person
Had a Look at the New TT on Saturday in Audi North Dublin and while I was there I asked the Question, how much to change. Now considering my S3 was 57,000 at Invoice in October 2013 they offered me 33,550 as a trade in.

And the TT TFSI is 54K and the TTS is 66K with a standard spec (nothing added)..... Golf R??? ;)

Next new car I'll be getting is when I retire. Rather plough money into my kids and gold command than on myself. That's my slant on it.

Reactions: mcnallys
I would move to RS3 straight away if they give the option of a 3-Door and a manual gearbox. They won't though so I don't see its point. If I wanted a thirsty barge ***** 5-door I'd buy an RS4!

The 5 cyl lump in the RS3 is a double edged sword.

Sure it sounds great, but its also considerably heavier - and will hang out further in front of the front axle.

If that makes the RS3 into an unweildy understeering pig, then I will stick to the S3 with all its faults, and take a remap to boost its power.

Reactions: Pulp84, S3LVX and elpaulio
Good point veeeight - could be an issue for the RS3 as the 5 pot is a heavy old lump. I wonder if the trick VAQ diff from the GTI could be made to work with the S3 Haldex application as I understand its Haldex based?

I have a couple of other concerns over the RS3 namely being the cost (it's going to the the wrong side of £40k before options no doubt) and I can see a six month plus wait to get hold of one. I remember the old RS3 had some pretty long lead times - the only difference is it appears the new one will not be a limited production run like the current RS4/6/7

Reactions: veeeight
Thinking about cost and practicality (for me) I rather like my S3 HB. TT no good as I need at least four doors, I did have a TTS but in almost eighteen months I did fourteen hundred miles!
I like the idea of an RS3 though being retired I have to buy my own cars and prefer to do that cash. So I think it would be a tad too expensive, particularly as I'm looking at replacing my motorbike next year.

But would I have an RS3, absolutely not. Like Veeeight I'm of the opinion that whilst the five pot has won numerous awards and been 'engine of the year' it's too heavy for a transverse fit in what starts out as a front wheel drive car. I found the MKI RS3 too easy to induce understeer, the nose is heavy and just pushes on in corners. I think VW, if they release the R 400 will be doing it right with the two litre up front.

But we do a lot of walking and the car gets parked in countryside car parks and I think perhaps the RS3 and R400 etc would be too much of a temptation for thieves.

The s3 (Golf R) are a great size, easy to park, small enough to be fun and lets face it 300 bhp is enough for modern day roads.

Reactions: S3LVX and Pulp84
I wonder if the trick VAQ diff from the GTI could be made to work with the S3 Haldex application as I understand its Haldex based?

It is indeed manufactured by Haldex.

However, I think that if you have a front cross axle traverse locking e-diff, with a front/rear Haldex as in the S3, you're gonna be asking for trouble! In both these cases - they lock solid, and when both lock solid, there's gonna be trouble going around corners!

The VAQ diff works in the Golf GTi because it's only front wheel drive, and the Sport Diff works in the RS4 etc. because the centre diff is exactly that, a differential, and not a lock solid Haldex clutch pack.

So no, I think it's unlikely we will see the VAQ diff application in a Haldex car!

Reactions: Pulp84
I am very surprised that the new TT does not have the option of Adaptive Cruise Control .... but then they offer Parking Assist! The latter is not a feature that I would have thought featured high up on a TT owner's list!
No ACC,

I could not live without this now

Reactions: cemerson and Martinbanshee
I intend to keep this car for a while. If money was no issue then I would probably have looked at a wider range of vehicles but let's be honest.........how many people wouldn't kill for an S3?
I'm moving over from a big 4WD. The one that we owned previous to this was used for its intended off-roading purposes, but not the current one. So I decided to get something that's a different type of fun! In a perfect world there would be a 4WD and an S3 in the garage.......;)

I say it all depends on the "individuals" needs, and reason why they chose the S3 in the first place.

For us, it was the exterior and interior premium feel, and the performance was a bonus, so yes, the S3 ticked all the right boxes for us.

Power corrupts.

I remember the first time I nailed my first genuinely quick car (an Impreza Turbo 2000 wagon) and couldn't not believe you'd need anything quicker. 0-40 was unreal :arco:

6 months later though I had a decat downpipe, 3" back box (nothing too loud) and a dawes device, as I'd become used to the oomph :think:

Sure the S3 is quicker, but because it's fairly linear it doesn't particularly feel like it. I will remap mine at some point, but will wait until I'm getting bored with the hope it will feel like a new car and extend my ownership period.

I WILL want the RS3 (I'm not going back to 2 doors, and don't actually like the looks of the new TT, you can't beat the Mk1), as it will be even quicker, sound better and with a remap (once cracked) will be an absolute weapon :yes:

That way I can have 380 BHP in reserve as I potter through town using about 5 :whistle2:

Simple answer, no. But then the likelihood of me buying an RS6 or R8 V10 is very slim.

;););)
Power corrupts.

I WILL want the RS3 (I'm not going back to 2 doors, and don't actually like the looks of the new TT, you can't beat the Mk1), as it will be even quicker, sound better and with a remap (once cracked) will be an absolute weapon :yes:

That way I can have 380 BHP in reserve as I potter through town using about 5 :whistle2:

You can have 380 BHP now ;) - Get an MTM M-Cantronic or proper remap and It will genuinely out drag a RS4/5 R8V8! The problem is, you get tired of having to proove it.......

Reactions: veeeight
Stage 1 on the s3 8v really does transform the car, I suggest anyone who is thinking the s3 is underpowered get it remapped before being tempted away.

In answer to the OP's question - Yes :thumbs up:

But I'm an old f@rt, so my son tells me lol

Reactions: Blackwhite
Can anyone explain why Craigl is still hanging around here since all he seems to do is to dis his short ownership of an S3 which he does not even own it anymore? Any positive experiences to relate about the car Craig?

Can anyone explain why Craigl is still hanging around here since all he seems to do is to dis his short ownership of an S3 which he does not even own it anymore? Any positive experiences to relate about the car Craig?

Good speakers, better than in my new car.

Reactions: Pulp84, veeeight and Foxtrot_Oscar
The 5 cyl lump in the RS3 is a double edged sword.

Sure it sounds great, but its also considerably heavier - and will hang out further in front of the front axle.

If that makes the RS3 into an unweildy understeering pig, then I will stick to the S3 with all its faults, and take a remap to boost its power.

Remap, say what

Not sure of the need of the hate and personal attacks on Craigl?

He brings a dose of reality into a predominantly sycophantic forum.

The S3, isn't the best driving experience on this planet, and that is what he articulates. Is he not allowed a negative opinion of the car in this forum?

As for the fantasist theory, his RS5 can be seen, in the err, RS5 section of the forum.

(edit: Nevermind, the last post has been removed)

Reactions: RYuill
I agree. I deleted the post. Apologies Craig.

Yep agreed, I think CraigL brings a more balanced view sometimes, I felt the same about my 8P S3, it just wasn't very interesting and I handed it back to Audi after about 6 months.

It's an open forum, and he has as much right to express his view as the rest of us, otherwise it's all going to be 'isn't the S3 fantastic' 'yes, it's lovely' and that's going to be pretty dull.

Reactions: elpaulio and veeeight
I suppose its all about perception :thumbs up:

Interesting to hear from people who have had a a 8V S3 tho' :)

But on the flip side, no car is perfect TBH

It does amaze's me when some posts I've read say 300bhp isn't enough! :think: