(Potential) Owners : Is the S3 going to be enough for you?

I think if you have the first hand experience then what you have to say, good or bad is very relevant.

As far as I'm concerned I find Craig's comments interesting. keep it up mate.

Aw man, I missed some action.
I guess I'll never know what sort of abuse was thrown my way.........

I don't mean to **** on anyone's chips.
Just remember this is opinion of one. Don't take it to heart.
For me the S3 is not what I want from a car, it might be for you.

Jury is still out on the RS5 as yet as I'm being gentle for the first 500. You can be sure I'll give an honest opinion though.
Don't like the stereo (although V8 noise makes up for that) and not sure I love the colour yet, so there's two negatives already. Love the noise and the seats. Will comment on the drive soon (but in the RS5 section).

Suzuka Grey.
Lovely when clean.............

Reactions: mcnallys and Blackwhite
I suppose its all about perception :thumbs up:

Interesting to hear from people who have had a a 8V S3 tho' :)

But on the flip side, no car is perfect TBH

It does amaze's me when some posts I've read say 300bhp isn't enough! :think:

tbh, I think 300bhp or slightly less in OZ (285hp), is just adequate and the I find the lag in the s-tronic off the line (without using launch control) annoying, especially coming from a st1 manual GTI. Yes that can cured by a tune, but the spectre of warranty problems, makes me more than reluctant to go down that track.

What I find interesting though is the extremes of the opinions in some cases. Some people say the S3 8V is effectively an ill-handling under-steering pig with lousy suspension and no fun to drive and others take the polar opposite view.

I haven't had a chance to push the S3 too hard yet, to see how it handles at the limit, but so far the slow in, fast out approach seems ok, but some track days early next year, may give a different result.

But if you want a flame war, go on a VW forum and suggest you prefer an S3 over a R... and see the responses

Reactions: Bristle Hound
It's not an ill handling car (IMO) but it's definitely not a throw it about style of car, for one when you go for it you really are travelling at speeds where you need the car to be smooth and precise. It does push into initial oversteer but that's a safer option for many than understeer.

If you want the throw it about fun style of driving where you can push a car to the edge of grip try driving a 2CV it's a hoot. But I find the S3 a very rewarding drive.

Aw man, I missed some action.
I guess I'll never know what sort of abuse was thrown my way.........

I don't mean to **** on anyone's chips.
Just remember this is opinion of one. Don't take it to heart.
For me the S3 is not what I want from a car, it might be for you.

Jury is still out on the RS5 as yet as I'm being gentle for the first 500. You can be sure I'll give an honest opinion though.
Don't like the stereo (although V8 noise makes up for that) and not sure I love the colour yet, so there's two negatives already. Love the noise and the seats. Will comment on the drive soon (but in the RS5 section).

You didn't miss any action Craig, I accused you of being a fantasist who drove an XR2, I was joking of course, but I can understand how someone could take offence, hence why I deleted it. I certainly meant no personal attack, and I think "hate" is a bit wide of the mark. I actually have a soft spot for the XR2 ;)

The point I tried to make, albeit in a clumsy manner, was not that I don't like your views on the S3, it's more how often the same view is repeated. I used to own an M3 and I didn't like it very much, but I don't keep going back to my old M3 forum reminding them of how much I disliked my M3, I made my points once. If I'm not careful, I'm going to be accused of bad things again, and I'll be deleting posts, but I wanted to explain why I posted what I did.

For me, the S3 was a great choice, but I can fully understand why people don't like them. If you want an exciting car, an S3 isn't it (in my view).You'd have more fun in a proper hot hatch. But if you want an understated, well made, well equipped family hatch back that holds its value, looks pretty good inside and out, is economical and goes well in a straight line then it's a great car. I moved from an 8P TDi and I have the same needs as before so I'm happy.

The fact that you've traded an S3 for an RS5 in my view shows that the S3 was completely the wrong car. An RS5 would be completely wrong for me for lots of reasons, 3 doors, drinks fuel, etc. Horses for courses.

I really hope you enjoy your RS5/XR2 (;)) I'm sure it's a great car.

Reactions: kenny_boon, mcnallys, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Ooh - just noticed you're Avatar Challinor! That Viper Green looks tremendous!!! Any more photos?

Thanks mate, there is a thread just for The Hulk but here are some other out and about shots. Be warned a few were taken when it was very dirty indeed but I liked the location

87ab0884a7b988401db23231beed54b1.jpg
3af02e8bddfa73daceaab51b4bc8b2a1.jpg

86543e397432182324b4db2d521ba108.jpg
1b74a7c49d0b40c2dcf512da45473969.jpg
8065162bb1137375d15754d16f94474b.jpg
11679ba176aed9a03ebe84935a229e60.jpg

Reactions: lucas-suisse, Martinbanshee and Dtwm1