Polish suggestions

S3drew

Reaction score
Hey all just after a few suggestions recently traded my focus st for a glacier white s3 saloon was using meguiars ultimate polish but nearly out so just after any suggestions of other good polishes people are using or do I just stick with what I'm using cheers in advance Andy

Acrylic Jett 3 part kit, awesome on white and silver, if you had a red , blue or black I would give different advice,
But for White you wont beat this kit.

do you want a polish (very slightly abrasive) or a wax (protection and gloss)

if wax i would recommend,
POORBOY'S NATTY'S WHITE PASTE WAX

if polish i like autoglym super resin polish, but if you are after something for paint correction, ie taking out swirls, haze or fade, i would use a mild polishing compound

AUTO FINESSE REVITALISE #2

or for a bit of both for quick results try

Meguiars Cleaner Wax – Paste

loads out there to try.

Meg's 105 compound then follow up with the Meg's 205 polish.

I worked like to try the menzerna polish's, but have a bit of Meg's left for the time being.

FIRST OF ALL DONT USE A POLISH.

By its nature all polishes are abrasive at some level. If your paintwork is good use a wax, glaze or sealant never a polish.
Only use a polish for paint correction work.

By its nature all polishes are abrasive at some level. If your paintwork is good use a wax, glaze or sealant never a polish.

This. However, a polish is actually there to polish out the hazing from a compound. The compound should be used for paint correction, then polish to bring back the depth and shine and erase any hazing or marring by the compound.

But yes, use a compound and polish as the last resort. Glaze does what most think a polish does, without cutting the clear coat.

Reactions: S3drew
:yes:Like I said, all polishes are abrasive.................

I've never had any haze that needed removing after using a very fine compound.

Polish manufacturers sell their products for general regular use. If contacted they'll say their ideal for older cars. Sadly they don't mention the abrasive aspect of their product. So many people on here have nipped to Halfrauds to buy some polish for their brand new car?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottyg, S3drew and mattmanwrx
Cheers for this guys I never knew all that, with my previous focus st I used to do meguiars ultimate compound, then meguiars ultimate polish and finish off with dodo juice orange crush was I doing wrong then ???

You should only really need to polish once, twice a year a tops, if ever if you have the correct application of wax/sealant/nano/silica coatings from new.
You'll get hundreds of suggestions on here as most members use different waxes/sealants etc. Find what works for you.
Just remember a wax/sealant etc seals and enhances the gloss and shine off the car. A polish corrects any marks, swirls etc which are very difficult to see on a white car.
I have a basic wax on my car topped with CarPro Reload. Works a treat and the Reload protects for a good few months with a few top ups.

Get your wash prep correct and you'll be off to a flying start.
Oh and don't forget the tyre sheen.

Cheers for this guys I never knew all that, with my previous focus st I used to do meguiars ultimate compound, then meguiars ultimate polish and finish off with dodo juice orange crush was I doing wrong then ???

That would be a correct procedure. Wash>compound>polish>protect. Protection being a sealant or wax. As ScottyG said, get the pre wash and protection sorted and everything else will be easy.

Also as ScottyG said, I wouldn't polish or compound if I didn't have to.

This pic is a wash dry then glaze, no polish at all.
View attachment 94531
IMG 20160618 134216

Reactions: Scottyg and James_TDi
Lol never forget the tyre sheen don't worry about that mate, the car does have some swirls etc but I'll be doin it by hand as I haven't brought a machine polisher yet

Reactions: Scottyg
What is a good glaze to go for then I've only really used the products which I've already mentioned, normally just wash with dodo juice sour power dry then do what I've said, I do also have a meguiars clay kit

The glazes I'm using are both by autobrite direct. They are the cherry glaze and the extreme glaze. I'm only using them as I got them cheap off a buddy. If I was to buy a glaze today, it would be poor boys glaze. I forget what it is called, but I'm pretty sure it is in my Amazon basket. They have 2 glazes, one for dark cars, one for light.

Also, buy a machine!! I got my das6 pro from cleanyourcar.co.uk and it is brilliant!! I was doing it all by hand and my gosh I'm so glad I don't need to anymore lol

Edit; poorboys black hole is what I got in my basket. Don't know if it is any good, but gotta try it to make your own decision really.

Polished Bliss used to be the only Uk supplier of the Werkstat acrylic kit but have now ceased importing it (from the US of A)

PB replaced it with The Carlack range, which I'm reliably informed is not quite as good as the Werkstat kit

If I had a white car again & my stash of Werkstat gear was finished I would probably go down the Gyeon products range me thinks

@scotty76 somehow missed your heads up mate

@S3drew - Gyeon products at PB -
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/gyeon-car-care-and-detailing-products.html

There's also some Sonax products that work especially well on white -
Sonax Xtreme Protect+Shine Hybrid (as the base layer)
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...cleaning/colour-restorer/?549992080&0&cc5_755
&
Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer (top up)
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...accessories/car-detailer/?549992160&0&cc5_761

Both Sonax products can be had at Euro Car Parts for £10.56 delivered using the 30% off code CRAZY30 which IMO is an absolute bargain!

Reactions: scotty76

any car detailer would tell you, you should see the state of brand new cars coming from main dealers after the dismal prep work, so you cant eliminate correction just because the car is new, one trip to a public car wash hand or automated will leave enough damage that correction is required.
But its fair point to emphasise the difference between a polish and wax, glaze or sealant.

Reactions: TimM
The glazes I'm using are both by autobrite direct. They are the cherry glaze and the extreme glaze. I'm only using them as I got them cheap off a buddy. If I was to buy a glaze today, it would be poor boys glaze. I forget what it is called, but I'm pretty sure it is in my Amazon basket. They have 2 glazes, one for dark cars, one for light.

Also, buy a machine!! I got my das6 pro from cleanyourcar.co.uk and it is brilliant!! I was doing it all by hand and my gosh I'm so glad I don't need to anymore lol

Edit; poorboys black hole is what I got in my basket. Don't know if it is any good, but gotta try it to make your own decision really.

poorboy's black hole is fantastic on dark cars.

Reactions: James_TDi
Depends what you're trying to acheve with this and the condition of the paint. If it's a case of trying to get a nice shine, i wouldn't bother with the polish unless you're going to be claying and some stage of machine polishing. That said, if it's a new motor to you i would consider claying anyway, use a light clay so as to avoid marring, this way you can avoid the polish step, then apply a glaze.. Personally recommend autobrite brilliance, then sealant then wax. Personally unless you use a da i dont think you see a grate deal of result from the polish phase that you would just achieve from an easy on off glaze.

thanks for all the helpful input I ordered some Poorboys white diamond glaze yesterday I went for that in the end as it has quite a few good reviews and was reasonably priced so no harm in trying, @TimM the car is new to me but is a year old and I will be claying it and have a fair bit of tar to remove also have the dodo juice hybrid double wax 1 pot wax and 1pot sealant to finish

Reactions: TimM
Good stuff, should come up well. You'll know yourself but if it's heavy tar which i doubt for the age but just in case you may want to try something like autobrite 'just the tonic' pre clay. If it's nothing more than normal should be fine with just clay otherwise you might find you go through the bar rotation quicker. Not trying to spend your money for you, just a thought as ive seen others fall short with this bit :)