1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli p Zero Rosso

Discussion in 'Handling' started by GARTHY, Jul 3, 2003.

1. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Jul 3, 2003]
    Has anyone any experience with these tyres? I have michelin primacy at the moment and hate them.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. Mutley

Mutley Member

[Jul 5, 2003]
    Can you get the Michelin Pilot Sport for your wheel size? I had the P-Zero Rossos on my RS4 and changed them for Pilot Sports - there was a massive improvement. The forums at the time (RS4.org) also rated the Pilots over the Rossos with only the AVS coming out better (albeit with a much higher wear rate on the AVS).
    I run Pilot Sports on the S8 and they are superb in both the wet and dry.

Cheers
    Jon
  4. Drill

Drill Member

[Jul 5, 2003]
    Hey Mutley, how are the Pilots wearing? I've got Conti Sport Contact 2's on my A3 and since the end of March (about 12k miles) I've already had to put the fronts to the back cause they were wearing down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  5. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Jul 5, 2003]
    Thanks Mutley,
    I'll have a look at the Pilot Sport. I don't like the primacy so want a better tyre. I'll also check out the other pirellis in case the sport isn't available
  6. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Jul 9, 2003]
    Decided to go for goodyear F1 so will let you know what I think.
  7. lost_it

lost_it Member

[Jul 9, 2003]
    i liked the f1's..
  8. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

[Jul 12, 2003]
    Goodyear f1s

Probably over rubber and over grip, but if there's no wheel spin - the tyre should last longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  9. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Jul 17, 2003]
    got F1 yesterday - still taking it easy but so far impressed. Seem grippier and much sharper turn in. Will add more as I wear them in.
  10. mramage

mramage Member

[Jul 17, 2003]

Mutley, can you tell me more about this heat cycling thing?

Sounds interesting!
  11. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 21, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    GARTHY said:
    Decided to go for goodyear F1 so will let you know what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, I've just had a pair put on the rear, and I have to say they do feel a lot more grippy thn the toyos so far. Managed to find Wheelgame with a set of 225/45 @ £205 inc vat and fit.

They seem to be a better fit to the alloy as well (only have standard avus). The footprint looks very good as well.
  12. arran

arran New Member

[Jul 22, 2003]
    a mate of mine put them on his R32 i think, they seem nice
  13. LYRAC

LYRAC Member

[Jul 22, 2003]
    JesterS3,
    It is always better to put the newer and better gripping tyres to the front! Reason: -
    1) Better steering response.
    2) It is far easier to control the rear of the car IF it should break away! (you're not a hooligan......are you?)
    3) The car is better balanced as the front wheels tend to do most of the work.
  14. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Jul 22, 2003]
    Lyrac
    Why do all the manufacturers say it is best to put new tyres on the back? Not disputing you but just curious.
  15. LYRAC

LYRAC Member

[Jul 23, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    GARTHY said:
    Lyrac
    Why do all the manufacturers say it is best to put new tyres on the back? Not disputing you but just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I believe that this was in the dark olden days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif when all cars were RWD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif and now that the front tyres have so much work to do it makes sense to keep the steering stable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif WHY, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and unless you are used to LIFT OFF OVERSTEER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif you could easily be kissing the kerb with those nice new wheels and tyres. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif
    Even QUATTRO systems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif require more to the front with grip for cornering and now because of this you don't arf get a punch in the arse when you nail it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif
    What happens is that the car goes into a corner all nice and stable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif using mainly all wheels driving, then you turn in and start to add power it goes to front wheel drive pulling you in tight and controlled, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and then it goes to rear wheel drive to push /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifyou straight again and then its back to all wheels driving and away you go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif All of that done within milliseconds of each other, DAMN CLEVER EH!
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry if i bore you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif all but............
  16. turbo

turbo New Member

[Aug 25, 2003]
    pilot sport for daily use
    potenza s03 pp for track use
  17. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Sep 2, 2003]
    No problem Drill. Done about 1500 miles so far and looking good. Will let you know how they go on.
  18. Drill

Drill Member

[Sep 2, 2003]
    Thanks Dude. I'll be looking to buy a set this winter when they're cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So any input you have will be helpful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

[Sep 25, 2003]
    F1s holding up very well and exceptional in the wet. They seem to wear quite well also.
  20. lost_it

lost_it Member

[Sep 25, 2003]
    Hi Garthy

I loved my set, in fact set 2nd fastest with them in the wet, now I have S03's for daily driving and sometimes use the toyo r888's on the way back from the circuit to clean off the dags...(these are magic but wear quickly).
    F1's are good in the dry as well but like all road tyres go away when they get too hot.
  21. Drill

Drill Member

[Sep 26, 2003]
    Thanks for the update Garthy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif