Jan 21, 2009
How do I post more than one picture at a time?
upload them to photobucket or imageshack then post the links
All pics re. Heater motor probs.
As I've got a a pax airbag, does this make the heater motor job more difficult? Haynes say's feckall about this and I'm currently without elsawin. Any help?
I had to remove a few parts when i replaced mine years ago , and still do a bit of bending and stuff to get it out.
Did that include the diagonal bracket that appears to come down from behind the air bag? If that's the case then I've got real problems. There are two 10mm bolts that hold it in place and they're just turning, I'm guessing that the nuts aren't fixed.
My passengers side dashboard of the car is currently gaping open, not undriveable but pretty unsightly, noisey and damn cold!!! I'll get more stuck into it tomorrow.
Just been trawlin Audiworld.com for info on this, it looks like the airbag support is going to have to come out, turns a 30min job into an 1.5 hour job.... feckin passenger airbag, why can't they just make passngers wear a big pillow strapped to their face, or a kiddies swim band. Would save me a damn loada hassle and skint knuckles.
lol i can see the "getting in the car" procedure there.
Guy jumps in the passenger seat and your equipping him with a flotation ring and a big pillow
Lo. That airbag makes things harder, but not too bad.
Audi are well known for biting technicians - all the metal bits behind the dash are so rough, with unfinished edges, their bite's more deadly than that of a black mamba...
I'd advice you wear gloves working in that area!
I was going to get the climbing harness on and carabina myself to the roof rail, swing in inverted and perform a half body twist to get my head in-line with the airbag bracket :weight_lift2:
I removed the heater motor from a 96 Tsport last week and the bracket just unbolted to get the motor out,and now i think of it when i changed the motor in my 98 T sport the bracket also just unbolted no problem.Maybe they are captive nuts that have snapped off their welds ??
I think so. I spent about 25mins upside down in the passenger footwell and it was looking like a full airbag and cage removal which wouldn't have been too bad but it was getting dark, I was seeing spots and the two bolts that held on the bracket (which is part of the airbag cage) were just turning, so in the tradition of when things don't go the way they should I gave the motor & blower assembly one big stubborn, caveman grunting pushing and it popped in passed the bracket :weight_lift2:. There was a small crack, not sure if that was my knuckle hitting of a sharp bit of plastic or part of the housing giving way. Anyway it's in and it works....
The ***** bit of this is that I only took it out 1)to see how hard a job it is and 2) to work out why I had an intermittent blower. About 1 3/4 cm left oin the brushes,. Packed them out and it appears to work on demand, albeit a bit noisey as I think I may have distorted the blower drum when I 'placed' it back in position. Still, gonna buy brushes from ebay and doing that job again will be a lot less painfull than paying for a whole new unit.....
oh yeah, and only one seriously grazed knuckle...
If its noisy you will have probably cracked the plastic basket/drum which hits the housing when the motor spins.When mine did this it wasnt catching when on a low speed but got very noisy when on full !!
Um, not sure. I'll find out tomorrow. 100mile trip up to Glasgow. I'm hoping that if it's distorted a bit of heat will help it reform (partly at least back into shape) if not then I'll just have to be more carefull when I re-do the job with the new brushes (and new drum)....
And another thing!!!!!.... car has been siting for a couple of days (hasn't need to move for a change!), undid the (-) from the battery as I was working on teh pax airbag and theres water over half way up the battery! I think i'd best get that sorted before I move the car tomorrow :O)
probably a few gallons in the footwells too then
Funny thing is, (just completed operation tsunami -also incorporated cleaning the pollen filter and ploughing about 2kgs of muck out of the surrounding bits of trim) and the footwell's remain suprisingly dry. I did have more steam on my windows than a Tina Turner song but at least I've not got soggy carpets. Could get into that other drainage whole though.
I found a bung in the drainage hole on mine!
Ours have these silly grommet things that seem to be there to funnel the water away but i'm sure they add to the blocking-up-ness
diesel: if you haven't cleared the drain behind the servo you really should try to clear it out, if you take the battery tray out, you can just about squeeze your arm along behind the servo and poke at the hole to clear out the silt thats blocking it. If the two of them are clear, it means you'll have a bit longer before having to take it all apart and clear it out again.
Aye, I'll be replacing the pollen filter soon so It'll be getting done then, I'd had enough grazed knuckles for one day....
and the heater appears to be working fine. It's gradually getting quieter so I get I must have just squished the heater drum slightly out of line.
Cheers for the input guys...
Separate names with a comma.