Pcv valve

Ryan s3

Reaction score
Can this pcv cause oil burning and blue smoke.
How much pressure can it hold.
I can blow through it without any resistance.
I can see a spring inside but i think its not doing anything.
20180120 160110

that's the not the PCV valve, that's the PRV valve (or hockey puck). Its not a check valve -- you can blow through it both ways

Hi
Ryan what happens if you take the oil filler cap off whilst the engine is running? is it sucking or puffing?

You seem to have gone around the houses a little bit with your blue smoke - I too have been hopeful mine is a breather or something outside of the engine internals.

Ive been going round in circles to be honest.
Ive took of the cap and it dont really do much, just hear the engine more.
Thinking the worst to be honest.....
The engine is just worn out.
The car goes like stink and performs perfectly but it smokes and burns oil.
The car gets empty on the dipstick after 3-4 weeks.

Looks like you could have a decision to make, rebuild or sell on

Reactions: andrew_wright and hydro s3
When I had my fiat cinqucento the manual said up to 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles was acceptable, I think my Alfa 2.0JTS and Citreon C3 all said the same too.

Ive been going round in circles to be honest.
Ive took of the cap and it dont really do much, just hear the engine more.
Thinking the worst to be honest.....
The engine is just worn out.
The car goes like stink and performs perfectly but it smokes and burns oil.
The car gets empty on the dipstick after 3-4 weeks.
Hi Ryan,
I suppose the best way is to get a compression test done just to get an idea of the engines health.
You may have seen in my thread 'white smoke' that I'm also contemplating what to do. Mine doesn't seem to be losing much oil on dipstick, and my main problem was the white smoke when cold starts. Just seems to be more of it than my wife's TT at the same cold running (mine seems faster and thicker). Anyway the smoke does go away once warmed up, and nothing when ticking over unless you rev it, then I seem to get puffs of white smoke with a blue tint to it, but only on first rev, then nothing on further revs back to back.
I to was thinking of the PCV system and whether thats at fault.. Keep in touch and updated on yours mate.