Pay as you go road charge..

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

Frankly, I am incensed by this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610755.stm

Do we not ALREADY pay, on an 'as we go' basis through the extortionate taxes placed on every litre of fuel we purchase? The more miles we drive, the more tax we pay..
And those who drive less, or choose a more economical or evironmentally friendly car, pay less..

This method of paying tax on fuel is a 'fair' principle (putting aside the actual amount we are charged)

Do away with annual road tax by all means (though its a useful mechanism to help enforce MOT and insurance checks, which is good). Make up for it on the fuel tax if you have to.

But this is supposed to reduce congestion and car usage. ***, if thats really the case rather than another increase in taxes, take some of those motorist tax billions, and improve the public transport with it!
I've commuted on the train for years in the past, it is a perfectly valid system logistically, but NOT when the cost is 4 times the cost of using the car! Make this viable and car usage and congestion WILL go down.

Forcing drivers to have black boxes, charging 'per mile' at variable rates? This is the poll tax all over again. AN overcomplicated, inefficient and unmanageable system, to collect taxes already being collected in a simpler way, and it will fail. Who will foot the bill? We will of course.

Another resounding triumph for blue-sky thinkers with no sense of reality, and those into change for change's sake. Ridiculous and contemptible.

Rant over.

This was in all the sunday papers- its gonna happen.

No doubt some 12 year old will crack the box`s code im betting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

p.s.- love your avatar!!

How on earth are they going to "pilot" this in one area only? No one in their right mind is going to voluteer for it - as they would still be paying an extorionate amount on fuel and the new tax..... So I live in london and drive to Leeds (where the pilot is proposed to be) how do they charge me for it?

This is just another reason to get out of this once great, but now downward spiralling country..... High taxes, low incomes, a ridiculously high property market.... need I go on?

I can't remember the last time I called the country "Great Britain". There is a reason for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Environmental group Friends of the Earth broadly welcomed road charging but warned the transport crisis could only be tackled if money raised was invested in improving alternatives to car travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

How "welcoming" will they be once they realise that the cost of running a big thirsty V8 will drop considerably as you are being taxed on mileage & not fuel consumption.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

I would be paying £350 per week to get to and from work! what a joke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif It aint supposed to be introduced until 2012 so government will be out before then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember the last time I called the country "Great Britain". There is a reason for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you guys only have to worry about silly taxes. Britian is still great, though you may not always realise it.

As a South African, I would love to come over there, because I know that even though you have high taxes and high costs and i listen to you guys rant, it is still an infinitely better system/country than what we have here. Remember you still have the power as citizens with a meaningful vote to get rid of the current local politicians if you feel the need.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember you still have the power as citizens with a meaningful vote to get rid of the current local politicians if you feel the need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately the majority of sheep citizens here are too easily controlled by the shepherd politicians using there sheepdog spin doctors!!

[ QUOTE ]
Remember you still have the power as citizens with a meaningful vote to get rid of the current local politicians if you feel the need.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the citizens just used their meaningful vote to return to power the jokers who dreamt up this brainwave... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Where was this in Labour's Manifesto? To$$ers. I agree that this country really is going to the dogs. Yes i can see how everyone will really like having the government watch their every move by sattellite, not. invasion of privacy anyone?! May as well buy a 1.0 clio. goody. I hope people remember this come the next election.

I just wish they would stop taxing all the stuff I do......

Smoking, drinking, driving....

I sincerely hope to not be here next election.

I would imagine the "trial " will be done in a small area and there wont actualy be any charges it will be to trial the technology and work out the bugs ! only good thing to come out is ! as fuel is charged at 80% tax does that mean petrol will come down from say 90p a litre , to 25p (aprox)a litre????????
NOW my big worry is forget the costs etc the now if they are going to track us via GPS etc does that mean next on the list is SPEEDING TICKETS poping thro the door cause i was caught by GPS on x/y/z/ motorway doing 85MPH????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And who voted Labour in?

You donkey bigoted Muppets!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine the "trial " will be done in a small area and there wont actualy be any charges it will be to trial the technology and work out the bugs ! only good thing to come out is ! as fuel is charged at 80% tax does that mean petrol will come down from say 90p a litre , to 25p (aprox)a litre????????
NOW my big worry is forget the costs etc the now if they are going to track us via GPS etc does that mean next on the list is SPEEDING TICKETS poping thro the door cause i was caught by GPS on x/y/z/ motorway doing 85MPH????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, this is getting closer and closer to 'Logan's Run' all the time. Next thing will be a voice recorder in your car, so they can fine you everytime you swear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Where was this in Labour's Manifesto?

[/ QUOTE ]
You didn't seriously expect them to let it slip before the election did you?
People might not have voted them back in!

[ QUOTE ]
And who voted Labour in?

You donkey bigoted Muppets!

[/ QUOTE ]

Like your line of thinking NSD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

I think the british armed forces need to use black boxes for this kinda charging, look how much fuel they ****** use, its a discrace

[ QUOTE ]
I think the british armed forces need to use black boxes for this kinda charging, look how much fuel they ****** use, its a discrace

[/ QUOTE ]

M.O.D vehicles mostly run on derv, and in Germany they pay about 0.10 cents a litre...

[ QUOTE ]
really infuriates me the Labour voters - "stupid people" (in a homer voice).

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the government. I voted labour last time.........................DOH!!!!!

I was taking the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

(maybe I should of stated "to be read in a homer voice" like you, but i didn't........)

I'm always impressed by how such a large number of mp's who have all had really good & free education (thats another point) can get it so wrong so often, there so out of touch with normal people it's really worrying.

If they try to stick a black box on my car, i'll buy and old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif heap, put the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif box on it and leave it outside the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif house.

There was a link on the bbc website where people were giving their views and most of the tree hugging b@stards who agree with the proposed scheme seem to think people want to sit in traffic on their way to work !!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

What ya sayin' there Mick, ....Do you know someone that can fix **Ahem** "Boxes"....Cos.......I know someone that needs.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Just a point, but this system will be based on GPS technology yes? Well, judging by how some of our most sophisticated weapons so spectacularly missed their targets in recent conflicts, despite GPS guidance, i wouldn't worry. 90% of the time, we won't get charged because the Government will think we're off roading through the fields at the side of the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If they try to stick a black box on my car, i'll buy and old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif heap, put the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif box on it and leave it outside the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif house.

[/ QUOTE ]

The system is already in place in Germany- currently on the autobahns and only on lorries but they will expand.

They have cameras set up to photograph the number plate of cars without boxes in and you face a huge fine.

Not impossible to work around but won`t be as simple as leaving the box out.

Also the British goverment first thought this pay as go scheme up 20 years ago!!!!

they were putting things in place in the 80`s with Hong Kong as the test bed. But then decided against as they feared what the Chinese would use the surveilence technology in place for once they got the colony back.

I watched top gear last night and they talked about this, I think one relevant point was that if they know where you are all the time, thay will be able to figure out how fast your travelling, so you may well get a letter from the dvla stating you were speeding and that's just not cool!!!!

Also, the sheer number of people it will tkae to monitor all the motorists and the cost of the scheme will be crazy.

I'll be taking mine and putting it on a 747 to bejing, see how they figure that one out!!