Passat r36

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Has anyone on here owned a Passat r36 I'm interested in buying one but was wondering what they are like to live on a daily bases and what issues they have

I have wanted one for awhile but I'm concerned about the timing chains they seem to have a problem with tensioners going same as the 4.2 s4 does

The better car is the Audi B8 A4 3.0 tdi with it's mammoth diesel tuning potential and 60/40 split that dials out previous quattro 50/50 understeer and allows the back to come out making the nose tuck in .

The better car is the Audi B8 A4 3.0 tdi with it's mammoth diesel tuning potential and 60/40 split that dials out previous quattro 50/50 understeer and allows the back to come out making the nose tuck in .

You've clearly been watching this video

Reactions: Tj 0785
I didn't even know I'd liked the post, I seen this when I was looking into what to get I'm not sure what to get with my budget of 10k It's looking like the higher mileage ones 90-120k miles which has me thinking il be forking out for the timing chain to be done which is putting me off been looking at the r32 or the s3 8p sportback

Talk to the boys on the r32oc.com couple of members there have brought one. Chains are only a issue on the old MK4 r32 engine would should done every 100k but the MK5 engine the issue was resolved.

My old MK5 never had a issue and I know the current owner has done about 130k in it. Never seen or heard off them going but the MK4's are know for it

I owned a 10 plate biscay blue saloon.
It was a lovely car and turned heads absolutely everywhere it went.
They come pretty much fully loaded from the factory and don't suffer that many issues tbh.
I did have the drivers seat bolster on the base replaced under warranty as they have a tendency to sag and those seats are one of the best seats ever!
The chains are fine on the 3.6 it was only the early 3.2's that had the issues so don't worry.
They were all built around the same time in 2008 even if they are registered later as they sat waiting to be sold.
I would get another tommorow in a heartbeat.

I ended up going for a mk5 r32 dsg instead

Reactions: DieselJake
Only reason was price. If I could of stretched my budget A little bit further I would of got one but unless I got an ex police one with no extras I was 2 grand short so got a 08 r32 for 9k

Reactions: -Ju-