Our New 1.8TQS Avant

Hi there,

just read all this and saw that you'd put Eibach springs on the car.

The drop at the front looks spot on, just wondered which springs you got ie did you go for the ones for up to 995kg or 1050kg front axle weight.

Reason I ask is because I've got a 1.8TQS saloon and am trying to decide which Eibach/Bilstein B12 kit to get.

Get the 995kg springs.

The front axle on a TQS is 1010kg, and for TUV reasons Eibach then give you the 1050kg spring. That spring is actually for V6 models though, meaning you end up with stupid reverse rake!

Thanks for that, just what I needed to hear.

I did suspect that though, as obviously 1010 is closer to 995 than it is to 1050, plus on Eibachs TUV cert the only difference in the two springs is that the 1050 is 10mm longer, hence more for a V6.

The picture of your car confirms it totally.

thanks again.

Well i fitted the rears at the weekend.

I have to say i'm not impressed :(

I think the combination of the RS4 shocks and the Eibach springs just doesnt work. The car feels jittery and doesnt ride nicely like the Shed does.

I think i'm going to have to grit my teeth and buy some Bilstein dampers for it :(

Wouldn't it be better to buy coilovers instead? Or you're not a fan of hard ride?

Yeh hard ride doesnt make a fun car imo.

My saloon has eibach springs and shocks and is pretty awesome, its soft around town, but handles really nicely when you throw it around.

The avant has the same springs but RS4 shocks, and in comparison its just not pleasant. It feels unsettled and jittery, and very harsh over potholes and the like.

They were used, done about 80k iirc.

No leaks or anything and still felt fine.

I expected them to act a bit like uprated shocks, being from an RS model, but i think that because the RS is so much heavier they're just over valved for the springs.

I would get s4 shocks if comfort is what you're after ! The rs4 shocks are just too bumpy coupled with eibachs!

Ok so some more things done today, apologies for the really poor photos though!

First off i scored a nice carbon trim for the gearshift surround, so swapped that in:

old
DSC_0215.jpg

new
DSC_0216.jpg

Next up was some tidying in the boot, i installed a grille to protect the subwoofer and hoovered up all the dog hair, then installed a Hatchbag, so the dog ming stays off the car.

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

The hatchbag is really nice, its fully tailored to the boot, however having a sub and some amps there messes things up a bit, and as a result it sits a bit funny on the left hand side and at the back. I think i will probably remake the sub enclosure so that its fully enclosed in side the boot trim, that way the hatchbag fits properly!

Next was gearbox mounts. I've got new mounts for the engine and gearbox, just needing to get round to fit them. I'll do the engine ones at the same time as the turbo, but i figured i'd fit the gearbox ones today as they're fairly easy to do with just the wheel off.

Found this when i took the passenger side one out:

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

Completely FUBAR!

Replacement, decent nick used one filled with polyurethane sealant:

DSC_0222.jpg

Then same on the drivers side, though it wasnt nearly as bad:

DSC_0223.jpg

There is some more vibration in the cabin now, as to be expected from the solid mounts, but its not too bad.

Don't fill unfitted bushes, they won't compress and are a pain to fit.

Tried the other week on an Ibiza, took an age to get them in to the axle, then the stressed rubber forced the sikaflex to squeeze out afterwards in perfectly formed plugs of sikaflex that was now slightly too large for the intended hole.lol

yeh, the curing time is also mental though, those have been drying in the garage for months though, so will be properly hardened thru! If you fill bushes that are already installed, then you need to leave the car for quite a few days for the stuff to properly go off!

Are you saying you 'can' or 'cant' do new bushes ? but its best to leave them for a month either way ??

Bradderz: i think marks referring to axle bushes and the like, where they're pressed into place. Quite often the act of pressing them in compresses or deforms the rubber, so if you fill them with sealant THEN try to fit them, the resulting compression means theres no room left for the existing plug of sealant, and its forced out. Filling them after fitting would have the desired effect, however unless you leave them for a while to cure, you'll probably find the act of driving the car will just force the uncured sealant out of the bush.

Engine mounts arent really a problem to do off the car though.

Scott: its from hatchbag.co.uk. Its all just fitted with velcro.

My passenger side mount was like that. Rubber had completely come away from the metal and was just flopping around. Still got a floppy gearstick or has it tightened that up a touch? I need to get some stiffer mounts even though mine are all brand new. Probably end up with the 034 ones as they seem to be the cheapest.

Yeh i cant really stomach 034 prices, hence the PU sealant. It works well and its cheap.

I picked up a pair of brand new Genuine Audi V6 engine mounts from ebay for 80quid, so those can go on along with the v6TDI/RS4 spec snub mount and hopefully the combination will keep the motor from flopping around. Will do those when i fit the turbo though so i only have to remove the front of the car once.

I've not driven it far, so i cant say if its made a huge difference to the drive, but i suspect that was the cause of the really odd floppy feeling when coming on and off the power at motorway speeds. The whole engine and box will have been twisting over on its mounts.

Yeah some of the prices they qoute arent pretty at all.Looking again im not sure whether theres been a slight price drop or back when i was looking it seemed more out of my reach but RS4 mounts dont seem so offensive these days. Cost is £140 inc vat for the pair.

My god you've done some great work. When you had issue's with the ABS ring did that ever trigger the abs? I get the low pulsing and also every now n then a kick back and a knock from the pedal! Very annoying.

Mine appeared to be broken enough that the ABS light just came on. The ring was in three pieces though iirc.

Sometimes the ring can crack in one spot, but stay more or less intact, and its when that happens you get the intermittant pulsing usually at low speeds.

how hard were the Box mounts to remove with engine/box in situ?

pretty easy tbh, Engine ones are a pig, but the box ones just slip out.

Just need a jack under the tranny to take the weight, and some room to work.