Original Ronal Bolero alloys....diamond cut/plastispray or not?

Rfmacaskill

Reaction score
I've managed to procure a set of original 17' Bolero's for my TQS and I'm halfway through a DIY refurb. All the old paint is removed back to bare metal and it's decision time. A few question to the more experienced:

1. I've read several posts re the original diamond cut finish on the lips corroding very quickly. If I went down the diamond cut edge I'd be applying a clear coat to them anyway...any thoughts?
2. I've read a fair amount re Plastispray finishes...anyone with any experience...or is it all hype?
3. Color poll...Silver/Gunsmoke/Black?

dont do it, paint the whole wheel.

The problem with the diamond cut lip is the alloy is essentially unprotected. When painting bare metal you use an etch primer which sort of chemically adheres to the surface of the metal, then you paint on top, then laquer on top of that. The diamond cut lip is just bare alloy with a laquer on top. Eventually, usually about 12 minutes after you fit them, you'll get a stone chip in the laquer, which then lets water into the bare alloy and it starts corroding underneath the laquer. Shortly thereafter its all white and manky looking.

I dont like silver wheels, and black wheels look weird as the blackness means you lose all the detail, and it just looks like a sort of black round blob. So go for a dark grey, gunmetal, anthracitey type color. Best way to do it is look around at dark grey cars, pick one you like and buy proper car paint in your chosen color.

Yeh plenty options, Ford Graphite grey i've used in the past which is quite a flat dark grey. Vauxhall Anthracite and BMW Sparkling Graphite are also really interesting colors with some pearl in them so they change about with the light.

Another vote for Ford Graphite Grey here.

grey or silver always looks good

What colour is your car?

Heres the colour of mine from when i refurbed them i picked it from local paint shop sample sheet but looking to do them more close to black but more gunmetal grey.

Here's mine...I'll be putting my 18" S4 wheels on this summer all being well, and want to refurb them in the same colour. Im with those above, that silver is too light and black is too dark.

Here's mine
Just refitted my boleros after giving the lip a quick polish

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399885395599412