1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil leak at rear

Buzzer Nov 19, 2011

1. Buzzer

Buzzer Member

Iv got a small oil leak at the rear of the car, could this be the haldex?
    Had a new clutch fitted last week , don't know if this could be related. Any opinions welcome to what this could be. It's just behind the exhaust box and a 6" metal plate.

2. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Most likely to be one of the diff seals. There are 4 in total - two for the driveshaft to the wheels, one for the propshaft, and one for the oil-filler bung at the top of the diff. Quick inspection should show you which one it is. If you do decide to replace, I'm stating the obvious but do all 4 at the same time as they are a couple of quid each and the vast majority of the cost to change is labour.

3. Buzzer

Buzzer Member

How long would it normally take to change the seals?

4. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

It was 6 and a bit years ago I had mine done - seem to recall it was a couple of hundred quid - so 3 hrs?

5. Buzzer

Buzzer Member

I'm such a cooking numpty. Turns out the oil can I used to top up my engine with , leaked in the boot, went down throughout the spare wheel, and down a small hole and onto the diff.
    For once , I am delighted that I'm a numpty and don have to shell out hundreds

6. Gops

Gops Badger 5 Edition VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi S3

Haha epic! Tbh I'd prefer that too! It's gonna be a ****** to clean though! But I guess it'll be cheaper than the diff seals!

7. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Glad it was a happy outcome.

8. Buzzer

Buzzer Member

Not too bad cleaning wise either , it was wedges up against the lip of the boot, so only 1-2 inches of the material on the boot liner was affected. And the guy in the work shop cleaned all around the boot and spare wheel. Winner

I love happy endings

9. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Ah ah nice one....:lmfao: