NFMFSW* installed by a proper stand-up guy

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
*If you're wondering what that is, it's a non-functioning multi-function steering wheel!

Nigel (NHN) visited today, fitted my new wheel, installed the speech dialogue system, and coded everything. He also tidied up some of my own rather lamentable cabling, recoded my central locking to one-press and stuffed a sock in the gob of the seat-belt warning chime. Oh, and he updated the mapping in my RNS-E to 2013.

The only tiny fly in the ointment is that the existing slip ring wasn't compatible with the new wheel, and the local Audi dealer didn't have one in stock. So a new one will have to be ordered and Nigel will return to install it in a few days. Until then, my wheel controls and speech dialogue system don't work - hence the title and intro.

I have to say, what a guy! So many people had told me beforehand what a top bloke Nigel is, and they were absolutely right. I would just say that whilst he voracious appetite for tea is common knowledege on the forum, what is perhaps not so well known is his liking for toast and marmalade.

Until then, please see below a picture (rather a poor one from the phone) of my beautiful looking multi-function steering wheel

MFSW_zps4a0cdba5.jpg

Oh yes, and my UK-legal pressed plates arrived this morning.

Reactions: sidibear, Geebo, B_FUR and 3 others
Looks awesome, I bet you can't wait to have all the new features up and running.

i may need Nigel soon to code my retro fit cruise, does he travel uk wide? Where is he based I am right down south?

Reactions: Sandra
Hi Jeff, loving the steering wheel, nice tidy looking job as usual. A few more days and it will be 'functioning' properly, lol. Yes Nigel is a top guy, thats why he has so many threads about his retrofitting work. Tell me Jeff, you got any tea bags left? (sorry Nigel) just couldnt resist that one. :) x

Looks awesome, I bet you can't wait to have all the new features up and running.

i may need Nigel soon to code my retro fit cruise, does he travel uk wide? Where is he based I am right down south?

Yes Nigel does travel all over Chris. Just pm him. :) x

He's based in East Sussex, and does travel about. As to how far, you really need to ask him.

I'm in North Essex, he trekked up here :anbet:lol

There were one or two comical moments along the way.

For reasons beyond his control, Nigel didn't arrive until long after his ETA. At one point, I began to wonder if he was lost. I was thinking to myself; this is a good advert for SDS, he's told it to direct him to Bexleyhheath, and it's sent him to Canterbury!

Then, as he was leaving, he asked me for directions. I couldn't figure out why he needed them when he had the same nav unit as me. He just smiled and said "I've put my 2013 map disc in your car".

Like I said, what a guy!

Reactions: Sandra
Looks nice Mate...I take it you had just a plain old "council estate" steering wheel before then....and are you saying that the function controls don't work on the steering wheel or they do.....am confused....easily done!

A

There were one or two comical moments along the way.

For reasons beyond his control, Nigel didn't arrive until long after his ETA. At one point, I began to wonder if he was lost. I was thinking to myself; this is a good advert for SDS, he's told it to direct him to Bexleyhheath, and it's sent him to Canterbury!

Then, as he was leaving, he asked me for directions. I couldn't figure out why he needed them when he had the same nav unit as me. He just smiled and said "I've put my 2013 map disc in your car".

Like I said, what a guy!

Lmao, thats just priceless. :) x

Looks nice Mate...I take it you had just a plain old "council estate" steering wheel before then....and are you saying that the function controls don't work on the steering wheel or they do.....am confused....easily done!

A
They don't work yet.

Sorry Jeff....should have read your post properly the first time....sorry been up since 3am and still shocked by the Oklahoma sh@t today....Hope you get it going 100% soon!

Cheers
A

No worries, bud. That's a really bad break over here.

If it ain't too late, slip rings can be had cheap over on ebay.de, just need to find the correct German :)

I'm in North Staffordshire & he's been here twice & is due here again in the next week or so.
Great guy he's certainly very Knowledgeable.

Reactions: NHN
I agree, top bloke. Sorted out my Satnav power drain issue.

I didn't have to make him loads of tea though, I went round his place :icon_thumright:

I agree, top bloke. Sorted out my Satnav power drain issue.

I didn't have to make him loads of tea though, I went round his place :icon_thumright:

I'm surprised he didn't still get you to make the tea, even at his place! :lmfao:

Anyway, latest update is that Nigel is returning tomorrow morning to fit the slip ring and get everything fully operational. This is such good news. Sad ****** that I am, I have spent the last two days driving around, pressing buttons at random in the deluded belief that they would suddenly and magically spring into action and programme the satnav to send me to the back of beyond. But, of course, that did not happen. Still, at least I got to familiarise myself with the look and feel of the new wheel, and I've got to say I love it.

Meanwhile, the Ocado van is just driving away, having delivered an entire pallet of teabags and marmalade. I like to be prepared.

It's all working! Nigel came up this morning, swapped the slip rings over, and now everything is operational.

All I have to do now is learn how to use it all. A long read of the user manual and a few viewings of this video over the weekend should see me right.

Reactions: NHN and Sandra
It's all working! Nigel came up this morning, swapped the slip rings over, and now everything is operational.

All I have to do now is learn how to use it all. A long read of the user manual and a few viewings of this video over the weekend should see me right.

Excellent news Jeff, enjoy. :) x

Nice one Jeff...glad you got it all sorted....now just remember to look where your going when you are admiring all that steering wheel excitement! It's great to hear of suppliers / dealers that actually go that extra mile....a bleedin' rarity in these times!

BR
A

Reactions: jdp1962 and Sandra