New Wheels

murph

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've finally decided to get myself a new set of wheels for my A3; however before I place my order I have a few questions. I hope you can help!

1) I'm thinking about RS4 or RS6 Replicas. What do you think would look best on an A3 2003 dolphin grey TDI?

2) Not sure if I should go for 17" or 18". I know everyone says 18"; however I'm probably averaging 18K miles a year. Is there much difference in the price of good rubber from 17" to 18"? I don’t want to be spending a fortune on tyres every few months.

3) Will larger wheels alter the handling of the car for the better?

4) Will there be a difference on fuel economy?

Finally,

5) Is my insurance company likely to increase my payments due to this mod, as I would prefer to tell them to be on the safe side?

I look forward to your comments
Murph

murph said:
Hi all,

I've finally decided to get myself a new set of wheels for my A3; however before I place my order I have a few questions. I hope you can help!

1) I'm thinking about RS4 or RS6 Replicas. What do you think would look best on an A3 2003 dolphin grey TDI?

2) Not sure if I should go for 17" or 18". I know everyone says 18"; however I'm probably averaging 18K miles a year. Is there much difference in the price of good rubber from 17" to 18"? I don’t want to be spending a fortune on tyres every few months.

3) Will larger wheels alter the handling of the car for the better?

4) Will there be a difference on fuel economy?

Finally,

5) Is my insurance company likely to increase my payments due to this mod, as I would prefer to tell them to be on the safe side?

I look forward to your comments
Murph

Will give my views on what you have asked.

1) This is personal taste... get what you think looks best!
2) Very little difference in price between 17's and 18's (where I live anyway)
3) No
4) No
5)Probably... although I have 18's on my A3 TDI and have not declared it... if I claim and it gets brought up I will say I didnt know they were not OE fitment as they are Audi wheels and were on the car when I bought it!
Although its up to you!

HTH all the best.... Graham.

Disagree on number 4 bigger wheels means a lower profile tyres which makes less roll on the tyre wall therefore better handling. But 18 inch wheels are slighty bigger on overall diameter than the original wheels (inc the tyre) and heavier so slower acceleration.

Dude with all due respect you would have to be the stig to notice any difference.
Normal driver in normal driving situations aint gonna notice tiny differences like we are talking here.
Maybe if you are a trackday regular... and with a TDI im guesing you aint... it is not going to make any differance whatsoever.
Just go with what you feel looks best.... and IMO 18's on an A3 rock!
Graham.

I must be the stig then cos i noticed a huge difference with mine. Obviously you get used to it once you've been driving it for a while.

Anywhooo go with 18's

sorry i have to agree on the handling issue aswell. 18's with 225/45/18 offer a better ride in my opinion.

as for the rest..
1) go for the rs4's
2) the tyres will last longer than a few months... and it sometimes works out cheaper to buy a new set of wheels and tyres and sell the old wheels as you can often get better package prices than just buying tyres alone. also means you get shiny new wheels every 12 months :)
3)yes in my opinion you will get slightly better handling on the lower profile tyres. Also i weighed my OEM 17" avus wheels and the 18" rstt wheel and there wasnt much difference so not much downside there
4) NO
5) depends who your insured with. Ring and ask.

Gotta be 18's, looks far better, I have 20 spoke 18's, cot difference is minimal. Word of advice make sure you tell the insurance company and get them to confirm that you are covered for like for like replacement as they will try to charge you extra but under a theft claim will often replace with original only. This happened to my son with Elephant.

Jaffa said:
Dude with all due respect you would have to be the stig to notice any difference.

I dissagree.
Anyone with a pulse can notice...heavy wheels make the car slower to accellerate, harder to change direction, make the suspension run out of ideas more quickly and make it harder to stop.

18s will give better handling...but will be ever so slightpy more harsh.
But, they will turn in much better.

Ideally, don't buy cheap wheels...they bend easily and weigh too much.
Sadly, most replicas fit into this catagory.

Normal driver in normal driving situations aint gonna notice tiny differences like we are talking here.
Maybe if you are a trackday regular... and with a TDI im guesing you aint... it is not going to make any differance whatsoever.

I say again, yes you will.
The difference is pronounced enough to notice it...unless perhaps you are a town driver who never gets above 30 MPH.

I noticed a huge difference going up 1" in size on a Mk4 Golf GT TDI...so you will on an A3 TDI.

...and for the record.

I'd probably opt for 18s for the best balance of looks and performance as even if they are larger in rolling resistance a TDI will have the grunt to turn them.

And I'd inform your insurance company too...
Ignorance (or pleading ignorance) is not an excuse.
It may prevent you from being charged with fraud should the worst happen, but it won't stop them from refusing to pay out.
If in doubt, ask them and get it in writing...it's the only way to be sure, and to protect your investment.

I went from the OE 16s on the A3 up to 18s and I noticed straight away a) harsher ride b) more road noise (but this could be down to the brand of tyres c) accelleration was slightly affected so a slight affect on fuel consumption.
Definatly tell the insurance company and go for 18s if you get 17s you will forever wish you had gone for 18s