New B5 owner :)

EvilSnow

Reaction score
Hey guys, I new and just picked up my new audi 3 days ago after owning a mk4 Golf GTI for about a year.
I've been wanting a b5 for yonks but never really chased it but I finally did it.

It's a A4 B5 Quattro sport (180bhp I think)
Running a ko3 I think :S
My engine codes AEB... Well that's what the delphi said when I scanned it for faults

If anyone knows in depth about this cars please shed some light cause I've been all around Google looking for answers

Difference between AEB and other engines and where can I find out exactly what engine I have?

Thanks guys Tony

Hi Tony, welcome to audi-sport.net Have a read of the faqs thread in this section, lots of info in there. Enjoy the forum. :) x

The 1.8T quattro should have an AJL engine, which is basically an AEB with a factory remap to 180hp.

They have the little K03 turbo as standard, which maxes out just under 200hp.

I've read up that the AEB block has larger port heads too and are able to handle around 400 without doing internals, only the rods, I know they have 20mm pins but other than that I'm new to b5's

Best is to take the engine cover off to check the engine code. Any pics of your car?
Both aeb and ajl are big port head. It might handle 400bhp with rods done but it will not be easy or cheap to get to that level. If you decide to go all in to get 400bhp, you might as well do a bit more on the engine than just rods.

I was just wondering cause I was running 290 on my Golf with standard internals, and just curious about capacity.

Do you know if the Audi's brother the S3 units fit in the a4 (ko4) i suspect they don't because transverse and longitude but I'm a noob lol

You are right. They don't fit because of different engine positioning.
You need k04-015 for AEB or AJL or ideally a hybrid which uses it.

You mean use the tirbo that's on my car now? Ko3 housing?

The AEB is basically a longitudinal version of the AGU used on the Golf/A3.

The main issue is unlike the golf/A3, theres no easy bolt on K04 option.

There is a "K04" available which fits the A4 engine, but its not actually a proper K04, its more like the K03S.

Your best bet is to get a hybrid from someone like BBT that uses the original K03 housing, but due to its size your limited to around 260-280hp. If you want more than that, you'll need to look into either a TFSI turbo conversion, or a garret or something.

I need to read into this all a lot more. I think I could settle for 260bhp, but what else needs to be done? I have a fmic and milltek so with a hybrid, what else would I need?(sorry for thread hijack)

Welcome to the forum mate. We need pics of the car! :) I've had my tqs about 18 months now and absolutely love it.

Hey Crazy, I'll upload pics as soon as, the cars in the garage at the moment for a clutch

Good man! My b6 is in need of a new clutch and dmf, boo! The b5 is all good though. Just passed it's mot this week without any advisories, so I was well chuffed.

It's in for a solid conversion can't wait to drive it properly, I've tried reading into ko4 upgrades and upwards but it's so limited compared to the Golf audience

yes, beachbuggys K300 is what i have on the wifes car. I would say though, that the K280 is probably a better choice, the extra headroom the K300 provides cant be taken advatange of due to the small A4 turbine housing, so you just end up with more lag.

Looking into it and Prob gonna order one soon, standard mani okay.

Do you know too if a standard Rs4 bumper fits onto an A4?

No it won't, the rs4 has flared wings so it'll need modifying. The s4 bumper will fit though, and is a lovely upgrade. ;)

Might opt for the s4 front, I've heard of an rs4 grill conversion so I'll look into it

Has anyone had experience is the ko4-015 upgrade?

No point may aswell get a better turbo (hybrid) for less money.

Or if you not wanting over 240hp just buy a turbo from a 190hp A4 BEX.

The K04-015 and the K03-073 on the BEX engine are for all intents the same thing.

This is what i said earlier in this thread, its essentially the same as a K03s as found on a Golf/A3.

I do a turbo for the audi a4 1.8t. TTE280 that can make 300hp with right hardware and customers have on stock rods. It could be possible to reuse your turbo and recondition and upgrade it, so you retain a Genuine BorgWarner but modified turbo.

See here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...rger-audi-a4-b5-1-8t-20v-longitudinal.234854/

And yeah a s4 front really does work and I've done this my self many years ago on a a4 did the the fogs too(They was expensive)

I thought the standard bonet grill looks best with s4 bumper personally.

Last edited:
Si, have you got any dyno plots for your TTE280 on an A4?

I've not had my K300 mapped yet, but what i've been told is that while the K300 (2280/RS6) will do 330+ on the A3/Golf platform, the more restrictive turbine housing on the A4 means that getting much beyond 280hp will be a struggle.

It was my general feeling that going as large as the K300 or TTE280 was kinda pointless on this platform, as the smaller K04-020 internals should also be able to produce that 280hp, while giving faster spool and whatnot, thus being a better all round package.

It would be nice to know the platform is capable of more than that 280hp figure, making larger turbos like the TTE280 and K300 seem worthwhile. I really need to get mine mapped up and see what it will do, thats the job for this year.

Yeah I have. A A4 1.8T customer give me 300hp result Friday. Give me 3min as just sorting kids out and I'll fire up pc and upload graph

Aren't eliminator kits the same as hybrid? Atp kits claim that their gt30 eliminator is capable of 400bhp. How?

Eliminator kits use custom cast exhaust housings, which have the standard flanges on them so they fit to the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe. As a result those housings can be sized appropriately for the GT30 turbine and the flow expected at 400hp.

Quite different from remachining the stock K03 housing for much bigger wheels!

Fair enough, but looking at cost of a complete eliminator kit, isn't it worth more going for it rather than hybrid?

Thing you need decide is goals, aims & budget. If out right power then bigger frame like Garrett or KKK, only thing is it comes with response as the trade off. If want Response then there's various hybrids of your type of turbocharger, be it BorgWarner or cheaper China copy's. Personally I don't or haven't gone big on my car. I've just decided to not go with a RS6 hybrid (650hp+)for the response on my RS4 and stuck with a ported RS4 frame spec I came up with (550+hp) and i have both options ready to go on shelf. All comes down to what you want..

Here is a TTE280 result. Im told still little tuning to do still, but you get the idea. Shell Vpower, Boost 1.55 peak, down to 1.2Bar (no wmi used)

TTE280 coupled to a exhaust manifold

Gives a idea of before and after the hybrid process

Last edited:
From me direct or one of my dealers.

Here is the full spec of above.

Stock AEB motor - TTE280 Turbo - 3" exhaust system from turbo - 3" turbo intake hose - VR6 MAF housing - Highflow cast manifold - 380ccm injectors - 3bar fuel pressure regulator - Reinforced Sachs clutch - upgrade intercooler KWE - Software by GT performance