New A6 2.0L TDI SE Owner - Oil Pump Help

Ryan M

Reaction score
Hello guys, I've recently just picked up a 2005 2.0L A6 Saloon SE in Akoya Silver. The car itself has had 3 owners from new who have all taken good car of the car with lots of service history and receipts included. I was driven to the car because of the lovely leather seats and also the addition heated seats option which is handy especially in the chilly winter months.

To test out the car and give it a good run I took the car on a 350 mile trip down to Bradford to pick up a mates 1993 Mazda MX5 and the comfort levels are definitely superior than my previous VW Golf MK5, although the MPG's are a little lower I think I can compensate for that.

2.0L Oil Pump Issue:
Unfortunately before purchasing the car and then after buying the car searching through the history I was greeted with the notorious 'BLB' engine code and after finding no history of the pump ever being changed to the upgraded stronger key I quickly rushed to a computer to find out more information about what my options are.

After searching online around this forum I'm unsure what my current options are due to the vast amount of them, but I have stumbled across this on eBay and I'm wondering should I drop the sump and see if the pump has the stronger key, or should I just purchase the pump below and get it changed before the inevitable happens.

96eSxTo.png

Link:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-2009-Audi-A4-2-0-TDI-Uprated-Gear-Driven-Oil-pump-Balance-Shaft/182870275401?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908131621&meid=149d5390dcfe402f86ec2e01ea235ec1&pid=100678&rk=3&rkt=7&sd=281212284105&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac7e63596-c8dd-11e7-9539-74dbd1806572%7Cparentrq%3Ab835c4a515f0a86676be680cfffe3479%7Ciid%3A1

If you have any other options on what I should do please comment below.

-------------------------------------------------

Finally here are some pictures of the car itself (PS: It needs a sprucen up inside and out and I'll get onto it soon!)

D9AgFWv.jpg
hyV0NSr.jpg
v2snVEz.jpg
InWxr7s.jpg
DNNKnro.jpg
FteCHJ3.jpg
V1ZYueh.jpg

Last edited:
I also forgot to add, does the 2.0L TDI (BLB) engine have any other problems apart from the oil pump drive and chain tensioner issues?

I've still been driving the car as I need it for methods of travel to university and the chain tensioner and balance shaft at 170k are still going, it must have been changed at some point or I'm just very lucky :readit:

I may start a progress thread of problems fixed and improvements done to the car in the future, I've definitely got alot of ideas from B5NUT's thread for maintenance and improvements!

I also forgot to add, does the 2.0L TDI (BLB) engine have any other problems apart from the oil pump drive and chain tensioner issues?

I've still been driving the car as I need it for methods of travel to university and the chain tensioner and balance shaft at 170k are still going, it must have been changed at some point or I'm just very lucky :readit:

I may start a progress thread of problems fixed and improvements done to the car in the future, I've definitely got alot of ideas from B5NUT's thread for maintenance and improvements!
Hi there
Speaking about the A6 BLB, they were recalled for this reason (Not the A4). If the car was taken to Audi it would have been fitted with a gear driven balancer shaft assembly. This next part applies to anyone with a 2.0tdi in any VAG vehicle....To confirm the situation for your car, Phone any Audi (or VAG) dealership and ask for the parts department. After supplying Your chassis number, ask for a balance shaft to oil pump hex drive pin and a securing ring (its only a few pounds £4.50 all in 2018). When the chassis number is input into the parts system the system comunicates with VAG headquarters database and only displays the parts fitted to your vehicle (assuming that they did the work). If your car has been modified with the current version, then the drive pin will be 100mm long. If you are supplied with a 77mm drive pin then your car is either a chain drive or a gear drive with a 77mm pin. contact Audi customer services to enquire about the recall and ask if the work on your car has been completed (in the case of a balance shaft recall). If it has been done and you are supplied with a 77mm drive pin, then you have a gear driven balance shaft with a 77mm drive pin. The 77mm drive pin has issues regardless of the balance shaft to which it is fitted.

My A4 CAHA is Model year 2011....Build date June 2010. Audi sent me a 100mm drive pin (Audi call it a "carrier")

For the A4 owners, they did not recall the BLB engines , there was a very limited time that the BLB with the chain drive were fitted.
ETKA says Chassis number (to) >>8E-080-171 is chain drive with a 77mm pin. 8E-080-172>> (from) is a gear drive with a 77mm pin.
ETKA says The current version (gear driven with 100mm pin) was fitted from 20th October 2009 to CAGA CAGB CAHA CAHB CAGC CMEA. (THIS IS A BUILD DATE NOT A REGISTRATION DATE) The CJCB engine was already fitted with the 100mm pin since its introducton in 2008 from chassis number 8K-8-000 001. This confirms that Audi knew the problems and had solved the problems by the introduction of the CJCB engine in 2008 but did not fit the final version (100mm) to the other engines above until 20th October 2009. The reasoning behind the "Audi had solved the problems by then" is that I cannot find a single case on the net of a 100mm gear driven system failing due to the drive pin and that this version is in use on the most recent models.

Hope this helps