New 170 tdi Quattro first impressions....

Then that would appear to be a problem with your dealer, not your car.

If the problem is with Huntingdon Audi, ask to speak to Adam Day, the new Service manager and tell him your not happy with it and get him to check it out with you.

Or drive down the road a few miles to St Neots and I'd be quite happy to try in and see if I think it's OK or faulty as well or if you'd prefer I'll meet you at Huntingdon Audi and we can compare both cars with Adam present as well.

I have a feeling Adam was the one who said I didn't need a new wheel bearing.........................unless there are two Adam's there

Incidently, if you press the unlock button on yours in rapid sucession, does it always unlock all doors?

Yes I can press the lower unlock button as slow or as fast as I like and it just unlocks all the doors, but mine is set to 'single press unlock' Thinking about it, how does yours lock itself again when your pressing the unlock button? Mine will lock itself again automatically if no door or the tailgate is opened but on after about 60 secs.

I have a feeling Adam was the one who said I didn't need a new wheel bearing.........................unless there are two Adam's there

I think there may be, when I've phoned in the past and asked for Adam I have been asked, Which one.

Adam Day was a Service Adviser until a month or so ago and has just be made Service Manager. I don't think Adam would actually make the decision on a wheel bearing. It would be down to one of the senior technicians to advise him.

sorry, meant that the rear door (The one I want opening) will lock/unlock every time you press the button again (After the first "double" press)

And I was referring to your wife's polo with the double press to unlock had any sensitivity around time between button presses

sorry, meant that the rear door (The one I want opening) will lock/unlock every time you press the button again (After the first "double" press)

And I was referring to your wife's polo with the double press to unlock had any sensitivity around time between button presses

h5djr said:
Mine will lock itself again automatically if no door or the tailgate is opened but on after about 60 secs.

And that is exactly what one would want isn't it? If your car was on your drive or road and you were indoors and accidently pressed unlock it would secure the car.

Matt said:
DPF light not been on once in over 5,000 miles. 500 miles to a tank of fuel.

Matt is yours a DSG? It seems like all the people who have DPF issues have manuals.

Locking/unlocking is no problem on my S3.

-press the lock button once (or as many times as you like) to lock.
-Press the unlock button once and the drivers door unlocks
-press the unlock button twice (or more) and the passnger door and the boot unlock.
-hold down the boot button for 2 secs and the boot opens.
- unlock the car and then do nothing for 60 secs, and the car automatically relocks.

works perfectly, no confusion, dead easy.

Want to unlock the doors from inside the car? press the unlock button on the door.

The 'balls' holding the parcel shelf up are a real pain in the backside though.

julians - if you press the button twice, with a less than half a second gap between them, do all doors unlock?

Just been down to the carpark to try mine

Lock obviously works
Press once, unlocks drivers door
Press twice, in under 0.5 seconds, only drivers door
Press twice between 0.5 and 1 second, all doors
Press twice over 1 second, drivers door only

DaveR - why on earth would I want to use the key on the door? If I wanted to revert to the 80's I'd have asked for one without central locking :)

Surely if all you want to to is unlock the tailgate you just press the middle button on the remote once. No double-press required. Then when you close the tailgate the tailgate locks itself again automatically. If you do press press the button twice nothing will happen. It's the same with my 'single-press' setup. If I press the unlock button for the main doors and then press it again the indicators will flash but the doors do not lock, until I press the lock button or don't open a door within 60 secs.

DaveR - why on earth would I want to use the key on the door? If I wanted to revert to the 80's I'd have asked for one without central locking

Firstly you cannot order an A3 without remote central locking, at least not in the UK.

Secondly - If I could not get the remote locking to work I would use the key rather than leave the car unlocked.

rear door - door behind the one I use to get in

Tailgate - big thing at the back I hardly ever use

Its quite straightforward -
walk out to car in the morning,
Have requirement to put laptop bag and jacket in the car
press buttons twice,
go to open the rear door (the one behind the one I use to get in the drivers seat) -
its still locked
press button twice, its still locked
press button twice, with the timing spot in it opens.

Also, when did I say the key wouldnt lock the car?

I've never said locking was the issue, its UN locking, as in the proceedure above. its either leave it unlocked and not get wound up, or leave the window down and get the interior wet

The other thing I was pointing out, Mercedes let you customise many things thought an onboard menu system, Toyota do this also

Audi want you to go back to the dealer to get ripped off or told its not possible for security reasons

Just been out to try it, and yes if I press the button twice , regardless of how long the gap between presses is, all doors unlock. I pressed it as fast as I could twice (ie less than .5 sec gap) and all doors unlock, I pressed it multiple times,say 5 times in very quick succession and all doors unlock. I pressed it twice with a large gap (say 3-4 secs) and all doors unlock.

thanks for that

going to be a fun one explaining this to my dealer, wish me luck

more stuff:-

hold the unlock button down and the windows open.

hold the lock button down and the windows close.

rob1210 said:
Well stop bitching then, you knew what you were getting, why are you acting like it's all come as a suprise?
Because they were not all apparent on a test drive, that's why. You physically cannot test every component of a car on a test drive. You also cannot test how things feel after long term use.
I use a keyboard at work, but unless I had sat and 'tested' it for 4 hours straight, I wouldn't have known that my wrists ache after a day of use would I??

Also, on my test drive, the car did not have the crappy eight-touch unlocking enabled, which my car does.

Like Dave here I have been very lucky with my car. Have not got any problem with it so far... 10 months a not a visit to dealer was required...

Service only due in 10k kilometres and fluid levels (apart windscreen wipers) all fine.

Happy bunny here... but let me shut up before problems arise!!

Pedro

As everyone else seems to manage the locking and the UNLOCKING of their A3 without any problems then it's either you or the car. As it only involves pressing a button I'm sure it must be the car that's at fault.

If the dealer will not accept the problem ask them to let you try the locking and un-locking another A3 and let them see you can work that one with no problems but the same does not apply to your own car.

As far the using the key is concerned what I said still applies. If I had a problem and could not unclock my car I would much rather lock it using the remote and then unlock it with the key rather than leave it unlocked all day.

more stuff:-

hold the unlock button down and the windows open.

hold the lock button down and the windows close.

and the sunroof if you have one fitted.

bacardi said:
Incidently, if you press the unlock button on yours in rapid sucession, does it always unlock all doors?

Yes, always :icon_thumright:

My remote takes 2 clicks to unlock the boot. The first click unlocks the drivers door, the second everything else. To unlock only the boot you press the centre button and it auto locks on closure.

Me too, and I'd rather not be able to open the boot with keys in the ignition - that would mean some scumbag could pop it at the lights and be away with your laptop or whatever?? I thought most cars were like this now - even my Ford Puma's had this feature and that was years ago.

Me too, and I'd rather not be able to open the boot with keys in the ignition - that would mean some scumbag could pop it at the lights and be away with your laptop or whatever?? I thought most cars were like this now - even my Ford Puma's had this feature and that was years ago.

Most of the latest type of locking/unlocking system have been developed over the year to overcome some problem or another.

Some years ago I worked with a lady who had opened her car in a multi-storey car-park on her remote (when unlocking meant unlocking all doors) and a bloke jumped in beside her with a knife. She was made to drive at knife point but just by the car-park exit were two policemen and she stopped beside them a pressed the horn. The guy jumped out and was promptly caught by the two policemen. The thing is she said she would never buy another car with central locking. But when I showed her how the central locking on my wife's Polo could be set to only unlock the drivers door she was much happier.

I think it is a clever bit actually... As I have a 3 door A3 and drive mostly alone I will keep it standard...

Garth_S3 said:
Because they were not all apparent on a test drive, that's why. You physically cannot test every component of a car on a test drive.

You can test everything you're complaining about. I don't think you test drove it at all.

Right rumpus this thread is causing!

I'm with Dave R.

My Sportback is set up for 1 click to open or close everything and that is how I like it, nice and simple. Autolocks all doors when you hit a certain speed.

My Misses has a Golf, hers is set up for 1 clcik to open the driver's door, 2 clicks for the passenger - suits her as a female, would drive me mad.

The Sportback courtesey car I recently had was set up same as the Golf, drove me mad, took a while to work out how to open the boot!

Only thing that bugs me on mine is sometimes I forget to press the button on my door to open the rear passenger door when I want to get my bag out before putting the car in ther garage at night (engine still running so all doors locked).

I guess if anyone is that bothered and wants it changed for free then the thing to do is find out from Audi UK how they are configured when they leave the factory. If the setting you end up with is different to factory setting and they didn't ask you before changing it and they want to charge you to change it back then I would think you have a good case to get them to change it back for free as they have changed a standard factory setting without asking you. Perhaps the dealers should really give people the option on things like this before delivery as otherwise it is only the informed that know the possibilities.

Garth_S3 said:
Not good :sorry:

My A3 TDI S-Line Quattro 170 arrived at my work first thing Monday morning and I was all excited, too bad the feeling didn't last.

Although it looks great on the outside and very nice inside, it just has a "child's toy" feel about it that I cannot quite put my finger on.

I really don't understand what you mean by this - "Childs Toy" implies cheap and nasty. IMO the A3 is anything but that and the interior is one of the best (if not the best) in it's class.

Garth_S3 said:
Here are some of the points which are REALLY irritating me after only 3 days:
1) Washer jets are the worst I have used in ANY car. There's just no pressure at all and even squirting for 30 seconds, there are patches of the windscreen that don't get clean (wipers don't seem great either)
Washers and wipers are fine on mine.

Garth_S3 said:
2) The balls that keep the parcel shelf strings tight. These are just ****! What happened to the nice tensioners that I had on my 8L S3? The balls look cheap and nasty and bang against the side of the boot on every corner which sounds terrible.

I don't see how they can bang against the side of the boot unless you have unhooked them from the pins on the hatch. When in the normal position there is no slack in them at all.

Garth_S3 said:
3) The bluetooth handsfree disconnects all the time (The Parrot I had in the Beemer and Nokia I had in my S3 never did this once) and the sound quality is poor compared to the likes of Parrot. Everyone complains they can't hear me every time I phone from the car, but the same phone with the Parrot was fine.
The disconnect might be to do with the phone model or could be a faulty bluetooth unit - I had to have a new unit recently.

WRT volume - I have found the handsfree via bluetooth to be crystal clear and at good volume (Nokia 6233)

Garth_S3 said:
4) Wind noise from the windscreen is far too loud
Can't say I have noticed this

Garth_S3 said:
5) The huge hard handles on either side of the gearstick are possibly the worst piece of design work ever. They serve no purpose other than provide something hard for my knee to hit on every gear change.
Again I have not had this problem - are you, ahem, a very large gentleman?

Garth_S3 said:
Everything seems to be massively overcomplicated, from the daft voice control on the phone to the stupidly complex way in which mp3's are navigated and played on the concert stereo. The 'one touch' unlocking is rubbish and as soon as I can get to a dealer I will have it deacitvated. It takes 3 clicks to unlock the damn boot, is this normal? Who designs a system that takes MORE button presses to unlock the car and calls it 'one touch unlocking'??
I don't agree that it is massively overcomplicated. What is "stupidly complex" about the way MP3s are navigated? seems pretty obvious and straightforward to me.

Are you sure that getting this car was your choice? You sound like someone forced into a choice against their will.

Re the comment "The balls look cheap and nasty and bang against the side of the boot on every corner which sounds terrible":

Well, have to say I didn't know I had any balls until someone mentioned it, and yes, when I looked I did! My balls don't bang and haven't experienced banging balls on anything I have borrowed and I've borrowed a few in my time!

Ooooeeeerrrrr

:)

What a bitchy post. If you don't like the car, sell it and just SHUT UP

It's probably a company car so he's probably stuck with it for 3 years. Perhaps he'll become the new Bowfer once he's got his new Alpina.

i can honestly say,theres no noises,annoyingly **** locking system (all seems to work fine) and mines a 53 plate wid 53k on the clock,not saying your all making it up,but im just a bit shcoked about all these problems,my mum had an 07 plate sportback s-line 170TDI,not a problem with that either,i hope i dont suffer any of these problems with future audi's thats all i can say

h5djr said:
It's probably a company car so he's probably stuck with it for 3 years. Perhaps he'll become the new Bowfer once he's got his new Alpina.

Nobody can replace Bowfer, he's a legend in his own SLine!!!!!!! :)

You guys must have the stereo too loud if you cant hear the balls knocking about, they're seriously irritating.

Regarding all his other issues, I cant say I've noticed any of them on my S3.

You guys must have the stereo too loud if you cant hear the balls knocking about, they're seriously irritating.

Personally I'm not aware of them, but out of interest the previous 8L A3 had a different system with very similar cords with an enclosed spring loaded retaining roller that was fitted to the underside of the luggage cover - part no 8L0 867 791.

Perhaps if they annoy you that much it might be worth seeing if the old ones would work on the 8P A3. Just an idea.

I might well look into that if I get the time. Cheers.

**Touch wood** no bother with mine either and it's done 22k now. The only concern is how much oil it gets through. It's alarming!!!

h5djr said:
As everyone else seems to manage the locking and the UNLOCKING of their A3 without any problems then it's either you or the car. As it only involves pressing a button I'm sure it must be the car that's at fault.

If the dealer will not accept the problem ask them to let you try the locking and un-locking another A3 and let them see you can work that one with no problems but the same does not apply to your own car.

As far the using the key is concerned what I said still applies. If I had a problem and could not unclock my car I would much rather lock it using the remote and then unlock it with the key rather than leave it unlocked all day.

Everyone else manages it ok do they? Many posts (back as far as 2005 on this forum, golf forum and Seat forums) seem to have issues too

Indeed, I'm sure you would rather use the key to lock it, to be honest, with the service i've had with the car and its dealer support network I really don't care, if it went missing I could get something else sooner.

N8KOW said:
What a bitchy post. If you don't like the car, sell it and just SHUT UP :gun2:

Can't sell mine, stuck with the bag of spanners for another 12 months