My First Thread :-)

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
Hi guys :cool:

This is my first proper thread so please let me know if I'm posting it in the wrong section.

As some of you know i bought a A3 T sport (8L) last week and i have a few things I'm stuck on.

The first thing is.... In my last car i had an aftermarket stereo that played SD cards as well as dvds, i also had a nice dual 12” sub in the boot.

Now , my audi has a cassette player (do i really need to go on.....lol), From what I've been reading the cassette player can be connected to a cd changer but that wont help me with the dvd playback, sub...etc

So my question is are there any other options apart from changing the original cassette player to the stereo i had in my last car (that plays everything?

Also if i do need to change it , how will i know what fascia i will need out of these 3:

Halfords | Fascia Adaptor FP-05-04 A2,A3,A4,TT Fascia

Halfords | Fascia Adaptor FP-05-02 Audi A3, TT

Halfords | Facia Adaptor FP-05-08 A3

Thanks guys ;)

Yeah nothing you can do with the concert stereo.

Well on my facelift s3, I had a plate similar to the 3rd one, not sure if prefacelift is different. Check out car audio direct as they will properly list them, just make sure you go for the wrap around type.

Changing the headunit should be fairly straight forward providing you don't have Bose.

Hello mate,

I used a fascia that looks similar to the 3rd link posted, only I paid around half the price of what Halfrauds charge from Fleabay (my car is a facelift 2001 model). I also recall using an aerial signal booster or something similar - Andymac who posts on here pointed me in the right direction on what bits I needed (thanks Andy!).

I fitted a Becker GP7992 head unit to keep in line with looking as standard as possible. The head unit uses similar plugs to the original equipment wiring so was almost plug and play - I say that as I remember having to connect an extra wire in to get my rear speakers / sub to work.

If you do a quick search on it, you'll see what I mean...

Have a word with Andymac on here, or post in the ICE section, you will get a good response in there...

Oh and change your font...its a bit big ;)

Thanks for all the helpful reply's guys ;)

@ sportstractor

That's another strange thing.

The manual that came with the car is for this stereo:

425451458tp.jpg

But the stereo that's fitted to the car is this one:

44349104bb80700cdf.jpg

My car is a facelift model (2001)

@ Imteyaz

Yeah i was going to get mine from fleabay.....lol

From what I've been reading the booster is a must as the signal is meant to be really bad in the a3 (I've not noticed any problems with it yet, the good thing is that the booster is also an adapter so you get to kill two birds with one stone :)

I still have my old stereo that's a flip screen dvd , sd card player so I'm thinking of fitting that.

@nilz18t

Ok will do, the reason i didn't post it up there is that i still have a few other questions about the car so i thought i would keep it all to one thread.....lol

So it looks like its the fascia in link 3 is the way to go :)

Does anyone know what ISO lead ill need with my stereo?

Thanks again for all the help so far ;)

Ok we’ll move on to another problem i found today....lol

Today i noticed i have two boot lights, Unfortunately they don't work

I've tried with the headlights on/off and with the engine running but they are dead.

I did a bit of forum searching and one of the tips are to check the dash and see if it shows when the boot is open and mine don't so it seems that it could be the boot lid switch that's at fault. The strange thing is that I'm not having any problems activating the alarm and the alarm isn't going off in the middle of the night.

I had a quick look but i cant for the life of me find the suspect switch that's meant to be near the lock somewhere.

Has anyone got any ideas?

oh yeah one more thing i noticed today....lol

The computer on the dash used to tell me how many miles i had left with my petrol but today its showing how many mpg ill get at whatever speed I'm traveling

Any ideas how to get it back to the original state?

Sorry for all the stupid questions but the owners handbook was missing from the leather folder and i only have this pull out sheet that tells me the basics :(

Thanks guys ;)

I can't help with the boot switch but the dash display can be changed with the up/down buttons on the end of the right hand stalk. The one you use to turn the wipers on. The small button on the bottom of the stalk resets whatever readout you're looking at.

Thanks for the quick reply mate

I didn't even know that the switch at the end of the stalk was to toggle through the computer settings.....lol

Now its just the boot switch :)

Oh yeah there is one more thing (last thing i promise )

I have non electric seats, yet under the seat it looks like i have a load of wires going into the seat.

Any ideas what these wires are for?

Thanks again ;)

Thanks i didn't think about the airbags...lol :banghead:

I've had a look at elawin and it seems that the boot switch is in the lock itself, so to fix it i would need to change everything :(

I think ill just do my own setup and save the money....lol

Thanks again everyone ;)