More help required chaps.

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok, the situation is this.

I live on a cresecnt shaped road, with a shared parking area of 4 cars across and 2 cars deep for 14 houses. This allows for 8 cars, and most houses have 1-2 cars each. Pretty poor design, but that was the seventies for you.

Now one of the neighbours has bought a boat , about 4 metres long, and has left it in one of the bays, they also have 3 cars! So you can see this is becoming frustrating for the other neighbours.

Bottom line is, can he park a leisure vehicle on a public parking space, or should it be off-road on a private space. Is this similiar to caravens?

Any advice would be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I guess it depends on any deeds of covenant etc on the property.

Regardless of that I think I'd be fairly keen to have a word along the line of "you selfish fecker, don't you have any consideration for anyone else?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(although proabably not the best approach!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If it's not taxed (you can't tax a boat or caravan) then it is illegal to park on public roads. I guess you just need to check whether the parking bays are classed as public roads.

Cheers Fallmonk.

Looks a good site and i should get some positive feedback from the horses mouth now, well hopefully. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'll keep you posted.

TDI- have you and spoken to the neighbour in question and tried a compromise?

Ok, recieved a reply from the cops website.

He said:

If it is on a trailer, it must be lit at night. All trailers must display lights at night no matter where it is on any road. So if it does not have lights on it is an offence.(At night time) And Obstruction any time.

Yaseen, i have not approached the neighbour yet, just waiting for some more ammo first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If it isnt lit at night, why dont you 'Light' it up for him??? Petrol works a treat, just dont ask for advice from plod.com

Any vehicle like a articulate, large truck/van, boat, machinery cannot be parked overnight on public roads unlessed authorised to do so. They need to be kept in a garage or on private property. Also as someone stated they need to have a permit (road tax), even a skip needs a permit paid for....

Complain to the council and they will send a notice to the owner. The DVLA will be able to advise also.

Good luck!

PS we had the same issue with my neighbours when they were building an extension on their house and were using a layby to store all there building materials. The council removed them all.

Thanks for the replys, will be contacting the DVLA and the council later today.

TDI - hope you get it sorted mate, but if you need any more advice, let me know (PM or this thread) as I have a mate who works in the police force, and I will ask him.... chances are, the first bit of advice from him (as from all plods) would be to 'talk to the neighbour first and ask him politley to shift the f cukin' monstrosity' Hee Hee

Is a boat with a large hole in the side still a boat?
Who is laible if you fell over the trailer and hurt your self? Small claims court would surely give you a few G's.

Had some similar trouble in a house I was house sharing 2 years ago as the neigbour kept on parking in front of our house even though his own drive way was clear. Think he used to do it just to pss us off. Try to park in front of his house - fight fire with fire as they say.

Just an update guys, spoke to the neighbour in general yestrerday, and asked about the boat.

He said it isn't staying and has been bought to be sold again, and has a viewer coming round tomorrow. So hopefully will be gone soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

tdi...your too nice....just knock him down and kick his teeth out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I reckon a good old double decker bus would take up a few spaces. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just an update guys, spoke to the neighbour in general yestrerday, and asked about the boat.

He said it isn't staying and has been bought to be sold again, and has a viewer coming round tomorrow. So hopefully will be gone soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
But is he then going to buy another one to sell on again?
He needs telling he cant park there and that he`s a c /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gift

Thanks for the helpful replys guys...

JoJo, double decker buses cost far too much to buy and run.

Outlore, very good idea, and i'll use Dave's reply and keep buying them all until no one can park any boats, canoes, vans or cars here. Or buses.

The ship has just sailed.

Thanks for the advice guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Too right, i just hope he doesn't have another hair brained scheme to make a quick buck and buy another one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif