MMI Question

J4MMYz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but i'm not quite sure what to type in to get an answer, so

When you put your music onto your SD card, and it loads it in the MMI, do you have all the songs named for example..... 01 example.m4a

When you play the song, it will rename it to 'example' - but I have loads of songs which have either 01 or .mp3/.m4a etc in the name until it's played

If there is a way to get around this please let me know, but i'm guessing it does it and thats the end of that, but if nobody else gets this I must be doing something wrong

I use iTunes and transfer from there. Whatever it's named as in the iTunes library appears immediately (without having to be played 1st) in the list.

The only way to do it is to delete the number from the track title. Once its played a track the MMI will remove the number but once you take the card out and re-insert it the numbers will be back.

Si.

I use iTunes and transfer from there. Whatever it's named as in the iTunes library appears immediately (without having to be played 1st) in the list.

I also use iTunes how do you transfer the songs onto your card?

Open up the folder for SD card and simply drag and drop the selected files from iTunes.

You can also create a folder hierarchy which displays on the MMI. I have folders for different genres for example.

Hm that's what I do also, I did once copy it all direct from iTunes folder but on the MMI it was all in folders and unable to play songs in order, I had to keep going in folders to play each song unless I had a proper album of it, shame there's no way to select 'play songs' in the MMI

Hm that's what I do also, I did once copy it all direct from iTunes folder but on the MMI it was all in folders and unable to play songs in order, I had to keep going in folders to play each song unless I had a proper album of it, shame there's no way to select 'play songs' in the MMI

I don't quite follow what you mean here. I drag mine to the SD card from the iTunes folder and it retains the folder hierarchy (artist/album/track). It just plays the tracks one after the other, skipping from album to album and artist to artist.
Are you saying you have just one long folder of tracks? I don't think I would want that.

I must say that I use Windows Media Player to rip and store my music now because iTunes is such ***** s/w it irritates me every time I use it!!

To answer your original question - mine operates just the same, displaying the file extension until it's played. Doesn't really bother me.

I don't quite follow what you mean here. I drag mine to the SD card from the iTunes folder and it retains the folder hierarchy (artist/album/track). It just plays the tracks one after the other, skipping from album to album and artist to artist.
Are you saying you have just one long folder of tracks? I don't think I would want that.

I must say that I use Windows Media Player to rip and store my music now because iTunes is such ***** s/w it irritates me every time I use it!!

To answer your original question - mine operates just the same, displaying the file extension until it's played. Doesn't really bother me.

If I drag and drop my iTunes folder then it won't play songs randomly, mainly i'll have to go into a folder, then another to find the single, play it, then it will repeat that song until I go repeat what I just did for a new song, so I have to have it as one long list. Unless I'm doing something wrong, i don't know how I can do that. I don't have the tech pack or anything, but you don't either?

May I ask, do you copy the actual iTunes folder or do you copy the 'music' folder that is inside the iTunes folder, I ask that because my actual iTunes folder has quite a few subfolders, but also has one called Album Art which might fix my album art issue.... but it has a few unknown file types to me in there, which I would basically see as rubbish going into the SD card, it'll just be clutter?

If you could let me know what you do i'll try that and see, I would prefer it all grouped, as long as it would play different tracks from different artists instead of the same ones

I can see that would be a bit useless!!
I drag and drop the actual files and folders. So the root of the SD card are Artist folders. There is no junk in there.
I have also embedded the album art in each track (using MP3tag s/w) and it works fine.
But I did see a post here recently that describes the specifics of how to put a single image into a folder that would be picked up by each track. Can't remember the details but I think the instructions were quite specific. Mind you, I wouldn't bother. Embedding the art using MP3tag works find and is an easy way to make any necessary slight mods to other tags (eg artist)
Just to confirm, I don't have Tech pack.

I can see that would be a bit useless!!
I drag and drop the actual files and folders. So the root of the SD card are Artist folders. There is no junk in there.
I have also embedded the album art in each track (using MP3tag s/w) and it works fine.
But I did see a post here recently that describes the specifics of how to put a single image into a folder that would be picked up by each track. Can't remember the details but I think the instructions were quite specific. Mind you, I wouldn't bother. Embedding the art using MP3tag works find and is an easy way to make any necessary slight mods to other tags (eg artist)
Just to confirm, I don't have Tech pack.

I'll keep that mp3 tag in mind..

I have a music track I downloaded years ago when I used to refuse buying music, but since then I realised how much easier it is so buy music, it stays forever on the Cloud if you want to re download, and you get the proper quality.

This specific song is the ONLY one with album art in the car, I have no idea how or why...

The only problem I have with this is iTunes has made folders for singles, in which I could have a few separate folders for Coldplay, so for instance I would click - Coldplay & Rihanna, then it would open to a folder called Princess of China (which is the song) then it displays the song when I go into it, but theres only 1 song and if I have a few other songs from Coldplay featuring another artist i've got all that crap to deal with again lol. I've just counted 4 David Guetta folders, one folder has 4 songs, and the other 3 has one song each. As I said, each folder then has subfolders it's such a ballache :/
- i think however, there is an option in iTunes that makes it like this, so i could turn it off and see if it will re work all of this nonsense, but thats a given I guess haha. The only thing that is fine is Avenged Sevenfold which has 7 folders, in those 7 folders are all the songs - Thats maybe because they don't feature anyone, so it's all in albums categorised...

Is yours like that?

I wish Audi would release a program that copies your music onto the SD card professionally, so we get none of this cr*p!

After reading something on here months ago (when I first ordered!!) I've been using MediaMonkey to not only manage my entire music library (>200GB) but also to sync my SD card. On top of that there are loads of plugins, one of which got all my album art and then went and resized it too! I've set a custom field as "Car", which puts that track into my "Car Library". My SD card is then set to sync with this "Car Library". Can't remember which thread it was buried in but MediaMonkey is genius.

After reading something on here months ago (when I first ordered!!) I've been using MediaMonkey to not only manage my entire music library (>200GB) but also to sync my SD card. On top of that there are loads of plugins, one of which got all my album art and then went and resized it too! I've set a custom field as "Car", which puts that track into my "Car Library". My SD card is then set to sync with this "Car Library". Can't remember which thread it was buried in but MediaMonkey is genius.
That sounds great, I hope it's for Mac as well else that's me done for

EDIT: Nope not for mac -_-

Last edited:
Of course you can just move the files about. And you can name the folders whatever you want, it doesn't matter.
But if you have thousands of tracks I suppose that would take a while.
The artist and album shown on the MMI are whatever you call the folders. Then once you have a track loaded the MMI will show the artist and track that is defined in the tags in that file.

Will the MMI play random songs from all folders if you click on 'randomise playback' or will it only do it in that certain folder? if it does it for the certain folder only thats pretty irritating

Yes lot can choose to repeat track, shuffle current folder or shuffle entire card. Works on both tech pack and non tech pack.