Minor bump :(

Cabbyfan

Reaction score
Driving to work this morning, I was stationary, handbrake on, foor on brake pedal, at a junction with 2 cars in front of me waiting. Car came up behind and drove straight into the back of me, said he didnt see me as the sun was in his eyes.

Needs new bumper skin, rear bumber crossmember etc... 2 estimates , £1100 inc VAT......luckily he admitted full resposibility and has told his insurance.

bc697caa.jpg

3f7e2979.jpg

733f19af.jpg

51a89dce.jpg

c7985612.jpg

Think I will fit my tow bar again.Hope it gets sorted before Xmas

Unlucky mate at least you was'nt hurt.

Sh1tty thing is even though its not your fault your insurance will still go up next and not just from them putting it up but because a claim was made from an insurance company.

Cheers Jay

Cheers guys, insurance is due next June so will see what happens. Damage doesnt look much in the pictures but look behind the bumper skin and it's well bent.

sorry mate although i would like to know where you took it to get told £1100 to fix it thats stupid it dont evan look like it needs a new bumper most places will just repear that one as that all it needs

if someone hit me there fault i would want a new bumper
that can be repaired very easy and i would repair if my fault

its not that easy any more as i found out this year when some one hit mine the enginer that comes out to look says what will be done and nothing you or i can say about it. if it can be fixed then they have to fix it not put new parts on thats what they told me

It is very simple, look at the estimate and if it says " replace " then ask for the old parts back, if they are metal parts you will be told the scrap re-sale value is reflected in the repair price, i say 8OLLOCKS, when mine was hit up the rear last year the estimate showed replace rear bumper, i rang the body shop where the work was being carried out to say i would be collecting the old bumper and supprise supprise the quote was revised, ( there was a piece in our local paper about this particular body shop charging for new parts but repairing the old ones " and tom be honest the damage was minimal so i too a cash settlement and had it repaired myself ( hense the exhaust upgrade )

sorry mate although i would like to know where you took it to get told £1100 to fix it thats stupid it dont evan look like it needs a new bumper most places will just repear that one as that all it needs

Took it to two different trusted repairers round here and both said the same, bumper skin about 300, metal bumper bar that sits behing the skin is bent that's about 100, paint and labour, £1100 ish inc vat. Looks like nothing from outside but damage is hidden.

His insurance rang this morning, he admits full responsibility to all sorted on his insurance.

Same thing with me they did admit liabilty after 13 months but mine still went up because a claim was made against an insurance company
which pi55ed me off so much, we are all screwed with insurance.

Jay

no disrespect to you mate im just going by what we would have done when i was in the boddy shop trade all be it was a few years ago now but still would think now days they would repear the bumper and just change the steel part in side. like i say thats just my way of looking at it and as you are not paying its all good i know here you can get the rear bummper done ie painted for 150 ish and its about 6hrs laber in all. i can see why car insurnce has gone up so much in the last year if places are charging that kind of money. also glad he has put his hands up to its always a worry when this happens when mine got hit i was god i hope he is insured and it all gose smothly

Last edited:
The main reason insurance is also so high is the injury claim side to "accidents". I dont see why my car shouldnt be put back to factory condition, I dont want a bumper full of filler etc. The bits cost about £450-£550 ExVat and the rest is labour and paint, labour costs money.

The insurance companies need to clamp down on the sore neck / was off work for 1 month cash payouts to chancers trying it on. All I am doing is putting my car back to the same standard as it was when I left for work, nowt wrong with that.

Agreed on both points. Settle for nothing less than new parts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

like i said no disrespect to you it was aimed at the boddy shops i agree your car should be put back to how it was as i was the same when they did mine this year more so as it was none fault. i just feel they over price things like this now days

The insurance companies need to clamp down on the sore neck / was off work for 1 month cash payouts to chancers trying it on. All I am doing is putting my car back to the same standard as it was when I left for work, nowt wrong with that.

I know what you mean i was offered £1500 as a good will gesture from the other insurance company and my insurance kept saying to me are you sure you was'nt injured you can claim an injury fee against them but i was not even in the car when it was hit........ no wonder we are paying so much if the insurance companies are trying to get people to be dishonest.

Cheers Jay

Update as of Friday 25th Nov - insurance assessor said the bumper can be repaired rather than be replaced. I refused to book it in unless they use a brand new bumper, they relented but OMG did they moan about it (the repair company, the guys insurance were fine about it)....... im the innocent party here jeez...... I am half tempted to tell them to stuff it and take it my local Audi dealer instread (as was supposed to happen origionally) and get it fixed......

thats what happend to me this yeah when they sent some one down its crazy i told them i whant all oem parts but feels like you are banging your head on a wall some times. more so when its not your fault as it was with me too its all about saving them money evan though its some thing we pay for. they told me they fix it when the car is put back together if the bumper dont look right then its a case of taking photos sending them to my insurens so they can give the go ahead on a new bumper i see this as stupid plus all the time this is going on its costing a shead load for the hier car mine cost over 1600 for that alone was givan a merc for a mth or so