mat cheeseman s build thread

mat cheeseman

Reaction score
I keep posting things and having loads of questions for people so I thought I'd show my car and my plans and some issues it has.

I have an a4 3.0 tdi 233bhp quattro s-line avant automatic. bought it on 91k in January.

first it's very impressive so much grunt to it! and sports mode is just amazing fun.

but like any car it's got issues. had to give it back to the dealer in the first 2 weeks for it smoking. audi said it's injectors are at a high tolerance but not needing changing yet and it had 3 glow plugs not working. so the guy said audi are taking the **** and he changed the glow plugs. and I had a vibration which I thought was the tyres so got all four changed. I still have it abit but not nearly as bad as it was just have a feeling it's the cheap tyres I had spare.

now I got engine mounts, upper control arms, intercooler pipe split, and possibly more.

so I'm getting busy in the next week or 2 to get cracking on its problems and do a few upgrades.

upgrades
lowered slightly
I read an article about removing the rear boxing
led lights side and headlights maybe
new radio
front splitter
new wheels of some kind

repairs I know about
control arms
engine mounts
intercooler pipe
injectors

20160228 152712
20160215 151259
20160215 150601
20160228 152732

Nice mate, be good to follow your progress! Sometimes wish I went for the 3.0 over my 2.0 170. Yours with a straight through exhaust and a remap sound and perform great! How much was the panel filter?

Yeah I just kept seeing things about the pumps packing up on the 2.0 lol

I need new injectors before a map but yeah would be epic!

25 quid from ebay

I will keep a track on your progress aswell chap, those spanners just look to clean aswell, but now with a A4 they will probably see a lot more action ...lol

Yeah I have had them a while and as the kit was 400 quid I never like using them haha but now nearly all my tools are at work got no choice but to use them

Yea will keep an eye on this as looking to offload my 2.0 saloon for a 3.0 Avant but hearing a few horror stories of them being costly & prone for engine issues :/

personally I think it's the luck of th draw with any car. but I have gone through more things about the 2.0 tdi having issues and I know 3 people with them and 2 have had new engines. but then like mine it has so much suspension and mounting issues atm but otherwise it seems solid.

if it has tyres or tits it's gonna give you grief

Reactions: Dani_B19
personally I think it's the luck of th draw with any car. but I have gone through more things about the 2.0 tdi having issues and I know 3 people with them and 2 have had new engines. but then like mine it has so much suspension and mounting issues atm but otherwise it seems solid.

if it has tyres or tits it's gonna give you grief

Yea true, fair comment Re: 2.0TDi

Ive had my 2.0 from 43k miles & its now on 95k (2.5 years later) but never had any significant problems other then the CCM is borked & all the interior lights have died lol

it happens to all cars some are monday to Thursday cars some are Friday cars lol

**** it's Friday through together let's go pub! lol

A 2.0 tdi is always going to be a Friday car if a hexagonal dive key but is fitted into a non hexagonal keyway bore .

Engineered to fail...

I love build threads...
Regarding the oil pump and the hexagonal drive shaft...mine is in the garage as we speak..gettting took apart and sent off to get modified
..fix it before it breaks kinda thing

I take it we are talking about the " dreaded one " mate, I thought you were going to avoid touching that bolt like the plague, why the change of tactics then.
sorry to hear you're having probs now though and hope you get it sorted out with too much further hassle etc.

cause I need to change those arms they are ****** but now it's going to a garage to get it done

also where is the fuse for the side lights? I appear to have no front side lights

well an update

after probably near 2k my car is nearly done.

so after a few weeks ago checking to see how hard engine mounts are I found a ton of work on my car.

all control arms.
3 engine mounts
intercooler pipe
while I had this all going on I thought yeah I'll get some lowering springs nothing big just 30mm drop

then I attempted to do the work myself last Saturday on removing the wheels Oh I need front disc and pads.

I then snapped the pinch bolt. good one!
after trying to get it out then not being able to get nothing else off so it went to a mate at his garage to store it and get the work done.

so on further work I need to front brake pipes and who ever fitted the pads last got the brake lines to rub on the body and they said I was lucky so far I hadn't had to do an emergency stop!

so after another 480 with the part going away for the pinch bolt to be removed I have

all new front control arms
3 engine mounts
spilt pipe changed
both front braided brake lines done
front springs fitted
from arb bushes
front top mounts

I am awaiting ebc yellow stuff pads and mtec discs. I have used these before and I personally like how they feel it's what I like before people say blah blah is better lol

I have rear springs to do and I'll check my pads and discs as I do have rear braided brake lines as well so in a few months may do pads discs and lines and do a full brake fluid change as well.

so my dreams of new wheels and exhaust system has died for the moment lol

bits I manged to do myself
head light bulbs
tail gate light lol

once I done front pads I'll add photos of how it looks in the arch all clean and new

sounds like a typical audi story chap, what normally starts out a small quick job quickly turns into an expensive long job, you can take some comfort in knowing that you are by no means alone , its happened to many and will most likely happen to a lot more.
It really does tend to go with the territory with these cars , when the milage starts creeping up, parts do start to get worn and fail and unless you have been lucky enough to buy a car which has just had it all done there is a very good chance you will end up having to spend on having it done, and as you have found it's by no means a low cost affair.
glad its getting sorted now, and good luck with the rest of your upgrades.
rob

Yeah tell me about it lol

but I think next is

rear brakes complete. pads discs lines
exhaust system
wheels
stereo setup
and any other repairs

wind deflectors fitted and black quattro badges.

later today tomorrow
rear springs and front snub mount

I have got a green poly bush one and standard new audi one gonna try the poly see how it feels

I'll. up load pictures of the front arches and rear springs fitted later today and tomorrow

You put new lowered springs with 10 year old S line shocks ?

Yellowstuff are dusty mothers , you should of got Redstuff , they would of done exactly the same job out on the road with the lowest dust possible , plus given a small show of red to go with all these red badges you have .

I haven't looked for the colour code yet tbh

yeah I didn't pay overly alot for the springs and they ain't excatly low. I had a mk4 with the same setup and it was fine for years. well like I said I like yellow stuff as I have had them before

did a little bit today.

I bought black s line badges a while ago but the front one was different to the badge I had. so I left it but today I thought I can take the badge of the mount and spa them over and it worked!

20160327 145702

had a fun day today.

made a new key !
black sline badge at the front!

front discs and pads. what an issue that was !!!

fitted mtec gold drilled and grooved discs and yellow stuff pads. sweet looked the nuts.

until the put the wheel on and bang they both locked up on the caliper carrier.

so off again to see if I'd done anything wrong nope all back on and same again.

lucky I had 2, 3mm universal spacers that had the right pcd to fit. I'm running this for a day and see what happens otherwise the old discs will go on as they weren't really bad and i can use them again.

I dunno what to make of the discs as they aren't great but the gold coating is coming off and they did say I need to run them just so it wears off. I mean I stop I do really stop but dunno need to wait a few days.

here's some pics of the discs and of some new other stuff and lights from the guy on here that I really can't remember his name haha
IMG 20160402 WA0001
IMG 20160402 WA0003
20160401 165406
20160401 155035
IMG 20160330 WA0005
20160329 050847
20160327 145702

I garantee people won't like this mod but I don't care I like it!
20160404 171216

I like it mate. They look abit long though, are they flush with the centre cap?

nah they don't but I really cba to start ******* with them as I only **** it up lol if I was to I reckon I literally have the gold cap left

well update I need a timing chain guide or tensioner need to see my report tomorrow but audi said it's just starting to wear and everything else is fine so now need to get it done asap

Last edited:
20160414 223617

Cheeseman..i had them in my golf

Stick them on...measure from the cap..down to the wheel
Take caps off and cut X amount off
I recomend using a jr hack saw or the likes of...scissors will crease/buckle the cartridge

Top tip spray the caps with clear coat as they will rust...im talking from experince
And just keep and eye on them (take off and inspect your wheel nuts...as they may hold water behind them...resulting in rusty nuts/bolts lol)

tbh I like how they sit now so I'm leaving them lol plus I got plenty of other issues I need sorting first

Reactions: CraigRE
cheers mate

well service done and I need 4469.72 worth of work done woooooo

chain guide and 6 injectors

already done 1735 on stuff only had it 4 months lol when I test drive it it was lovely no smoke no rattles no noses was lovely and smooth then I get it about 4 weeks in to owning it and bang it falls apart

That sucks!

Reminds me of when I test drove my old car (C class Mercedes 1.8 2000)
Absolutely clean as a whistle inside out. 1 month later..BANG! Front drivers side disc brake snaps off!

We'll get there though :greyrs4: