Major problem any advice please

tdi-man

Reaction score
First of all car drives and runs fine ticks over fine oils fine powers fine. PROBELM IS WHEN I LEAVE CAR AFTER A RUN FOR SAY 20 - 40 MINS AND GO BACK to car and start it sometimes smokes like a pig but not every time for a short while then clears and all is fine . turbos 14 months old so am thinking of taking it of and getting it checked under warrenty ?

Valve stem seals? Or injector seals? Only takes a small amount of oil to seep into the cylinders when not running for it to produce a cloud at startup. This wouldn't be noticeable when running as the cylinder pressure would force any leaks out rather than in, seen similar things happen on a couple cars that ran really poor or 'home brew' fuels that eat away at the seals.

ok just left it for 30 mins and started it and no smoke left for an hour and started it and no smoke. changed injectors 2 years ago and put new seals in ?

just checked head number and is a C

I would say whitish blue not black. hant noticed smell will get a video next time and have a sniff.

uploaded a video out side temp is +10c engine is 75c

Ok, that definitely looks like water vapour rather than anything else, have you noticed the header water level dropping over a period time?

yes but not a lot and doesn't smoke all the time.

egr is blanked of and replaced egr cooler coulpe years ago but have been thinking about removing it completely.

how easy to removing egr cooler might try this first

EGR cooler is on back of engine, top right if its the bkd, little pita to get to, ideally need on a ramp to unbolt it all & thats a fair bit of smoke, cant work out that metallic noise, but egr cooler is a known one & if its using coolant that you notice then must be leaking somewhere & obviously that smoke denotes it, need to research egr mate & also head.

I have a similar issue myself but only 1st thing starting, it goes within few seconds & its non existent on warm mornings, I still have to check my systems, just havnt had time, I suspect gasket, head or egr atm as my coolant usage is tiny but noticeable.

not sur if to get turbo checked ?

ordered egr cooler delete kit and will see what happens.

Dont forget needs mapping out.

egr is already mapped out and blanked of so going to remove the cooler .

does not smoke first thing in morning

been told that it could be the injector seals leaking ? ANY COMENTS.

I did mention that previously, but the smoke from the rear seems too white for it too be burning oil or excessive fuel. Your best bet is to get a compression test done & see if that shows anything irregular.

had oil and filter service with oil flush and also had the egr cooler removed and all seams ok for the last week any way

update .

still smoking once car was got upto temp

car passed mot at first rev emissions test showed 1.5

when reving for test no signs of smoke

COULD THE PISTON RINGS BE GONE OR VALVE STEM SEALS ? when taking oil filler cap of its chuffing abit

HEAD WAS CHANGED 120,000 miles ago

CAR HAS DONE 200,000

starts fine first time every time

can any body do a compression test on this for me

doesnt use water or oil

also wheres the pcv system on these ? crankcase breather ?

thanks

Looks like steam to me ..check your exhaust system for holes\leaks taking on water?

next week removing reconing and refitting