M.O.T time

martin1984

Reaction score
So mot runs out wnd of july looking at last years i have a stone chip to windscreen which is still there also this
earside front brake fluctuating, but not excessively (3.7.B.3)
Offside front brake fluctuating, but not excessively (3.7.B.3) when question this wasnt really told anything as pads and dics were newish so any ideas people.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

So mot runs out wnd of july looking at last years i have a stone chip to windscreen which is still there also this
earside front brake fluctuating, but not excessively (3.7.B.3)
Offside front brake fluctuating, but not excessively (3.7.B.3) when question this wasnt really told anything as pads and dics were newish so any ideas people.

I'm not entirely sure what it means by fluctuating with regards to your brakes, but maybe it is something to do with the brake test in the MOT. It might be the brake force is changing and isn't steady. Not sure of the exact reason for that. On my car last year, I had a sticky driver side caliper which meant that the brake force was vastly different to that on the passenger side, so I had to replace that caliper and changed the brake hose too whilst there.

Unless a stone chip has cracked and grown and/or is in s certain zone directly in front of the driver's vision, it is likely to just remain as an ongoing MOT advisory - I've got one (which has been filled/treated) obscured from vision by the rear view mirror - but I get an advisory every year.

Some rolling road brake testing gear is extremely sensitive. The "slight fluctuation" often refers to something like very slight disc warping or when a brake fitter has not been thorough when changing the discs by not cleaning the mating hub service quite enough - the disc then not sitting entirely "true". Can you detect a slight vibration or pulsating when braking?

Unless a stone chip has cracked and grown and/or is in s certain zone directly in front of the driver's vision, it is likely to just remain as an ongoing MOT advisory - I've got one (which has been filled/treated) obscured from vision by the rear view mirror - but I get an advisory every year.

Some rolling road brake testing gear is extremely sensitive. The "slight fluctuation" often refers to something like very slight disc warping or when a brake fitter has not been thorough when changing the discs by not cleaning the mating hub service quite enough - the disc then not sitting entirely "true". Can you detect a slight vibration or pulsating when braking?
Yea my stone chip has not changed for almost 2 years so guess that will be an advisory
As for the brakes nothing feel fine no noise or vibs i did have the brake fluid changed with my service a month after my last m.o.t

I'd just ignore any such future advisory in that case. Some advisories are a useful warning of possible future problems whilst some are just daft like removal of air fresheners from rear view mirrors and OE fitted plastic undertrays and engine covers obscuring components.