Lowering under bonnet temps - increas performance?

pure

Reaction score
My mate owns a corvette, and suggests the following mod for his drive:-

2.Wrap the manifold in exhaust tape, this reduces heat in the engine bay.
3. Do the same for the intake manifold

Do you think there is anything to be gained on an S3 by doing a similar cheap mod?

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
My mate owns a corvette, and suggests the following mod for his drive:-

2.Wrap the manifold in exhaust tape, this reduces heat in the engine bay.
3. Do the same for the intake manifold

Do you think there is anything to be gained on an S3 by doing a similar cheap mod?

[/ QUOTE ]

Might not gain anything, but worth a go.

Rich

No - not a sausage...

Plus, most modern turbo engines have been designed to allow effective cooling and heat dissipation. By insulating the various components, you risk overheating and failing components...

Fair enough, thought I'd run it by u b4 i did anything, prolly give it a miss.

As long as you aren't taking hot air from under the bonnet for a silly induction kit, reducing the temperature won't do much for you really....as long as your car's cooling system is running OK the engine will be OK without any further reduction in heat.

Exhaust manifold wrap...not easy on a turbo car. Works on NA applications...pointless on a turbo.

Inlet manifold wrap...not worth much if you are running standard ICs...they don't cool the air well enough for it to take any heat in from the engine bay!
If you have a decent FMIC or better, then wrapping may assist...but to be honest most of the heat in the inlet manifold comes from conduction from the head. You can fit an insulating gasket to reduce that...but they don't yield any power, so it makes you wonder why bother?

Again, on a NA car it is possible to get gains from taking precautions to prevent the inlet air from getting warmed as it passes through the engine bay...but that air can be at 0 degrees in wenter...you'll never get intercooled air anything close to that (maybe 10 degrees in winter if you are lucky!)

If you want a cheap mod, get some nice cold air into the airbox.

[ QUOTE ]
Woody_S3 said:
Just been on the Awesome GTI site and they sell a PowerGasket http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/18t_tuning.html

This is supposed to reduce the temp of the intake

Anyone using one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I'm using one. Does nothing.
Absolutely nothing...no power gains at all (unlike what New South Performance tell you)...no noticable drop in temperature when touching the manifold either.

And I actually did before and after dyno runs to prove it...unlike most who say it gives gains.

Save your money.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:

If you want a cheap mod, get some nice cold air into the airbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any1 got any how too guides for a makeshift cold air feed on the S3 knocking around?

As for the power Gasket, I was thinking about getting one of these too, but 2 hour labour costs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif That would be approx 135-140 after the VAT...for a gasket?!

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:

As for the power Gasket, I was thinking about getting one of these too, but 2 hour labour costs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif That would be approx 135-140 after the VAT...for a gasket?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...that's about right...it's a real tw*t of a job, and you have to use high temperature sealant on each side...a real nightmare and we had 3 pairs of hands involved!
2 hours labour would be about right though...

I wouldn't fit one again...money best kept in wallet I'm afraid.

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:

Any1 got any how too guides for a makeshift cold air feed on the S3 knocking around?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a guide...
Just whip the airbox off and see how you can get a larger cold air feed directly into the airbox.
Remove and bin all the standard wing mounted air feed crap (and marvel at the small size of the breathing orifice!)
Getting a large hose into the airbox isn't a problem (I got a 4" duct in..Oooer!) but getting the other end of the 4" duct to an area of cold, dense air is a real problem on an S3 if you still have a passenger SMIC as that's right in the way of the easiest route to the cront of the car, and cold air.
Fortunately, I don't have that problem:

12992232-d193-02000180-.jpg

12992139-6ae8-02000180-.jpg

16037014-5a2a-02000180-.jpg

Cheers for the pics, ill have a look this weekend, that last pic is a bit confusing, I can't quite make out where it exits? Is that right near the floor sucking up all the dust?

Apart from getting a bigger intercooler or getting a larger air feed to your air box that's about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
As long as you aren't taking hot air from under the bonnet for a silly induction kit

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all induction kits are like that.

Take the Viper for example

There was a previous post about adding an extra air feed!

Can't remember who gets the credit but I've attached a word doc showing the details. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fully aware of that...
Hence the reference to the 'silly' types that are.

But, there has never been any proof that ANY induction kit actually makes any more power than a standard airbox...if the airbox is good for 350BHP I just can't see how some people 'claim' to get good gains out of them.
I've never seen proof.

Yes, the Viper type is better than most...but better than a standard sealed airbox?
I doubt it.

Hmm.. in that attachemnt it shows removing the screen off of the MAF.. not such a great idea. Afterall, they were put there for a reason, to straighten out airflow so it can calculate it correctly (iirc) so removing it can only ****** things up!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you aren't taking hot air from under the bonnet for a silly induction kit

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Na I don't believe the viper can be of any benifit, it just looks pretty, you pay all that extra money for the carbon, with all the extra pipes etc I don't see how it could be any better than a standard k&n

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif sorry been looking at this graemlin for ages and just had to use it in a post.

Pete.

[ QUOTE ]
Quik said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Na I don't believe the viper can be of any benifit, it just looks pretty, you pay all that extra money for the carbon, with all the extra pipes etc I don't see how it could be any better than a standard k&n

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif sorry been looking at this graemlin for ages and just had to use it in a post.

Pete.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that it has got to be better then a standard induction kit though? As it's a huge air intake and the filter is enclosed from the hot air of the engine bay.

Also I would imagine the same goes for the BMC and others.

I know what you are saying about inductions kits though.

As I had on my first car. Sounded awesome, but you probably lost performance to it. As it's taking hot air from the engine bay.

You learn though as you get older. My current car has got a panel filter in a modified air box with two huge cold air feeds.