loosing coolant

Twaz

Reaction score
Hi guys so had an mot 2 weeks ago and noticed my coolant was low topped it up and yesterday the coolant level low light came on again. Any ideas? the seal on the lid seems OK checked it after a run I can't see any leaks :S and my oil is fine so no water in there

Is your water pump ok ??? Also is your thermostat opening

Just been under the car. Seems that the turbo is leaking water? It's a 1.8t bfb

Turbo hasn't got water going to it I bet it's your water pump

Is there pressure in the system when you release the coolant cap - does it refill slightly? If so it could be the head gasket. It's getting more common unfortunately..
Hopefully it's not that as its not a cheap repair...

No that's not it. it's dripping from the gasket turbo is dry on top so nothing is dripping on it

There's a water pipe not far from the turbo just above it have you checked that

I'll get a picture tomorrow so everyone knows what I'm talking about

So u can see drips on the turbo and running down the intercooler pipe. I know it's water I tasted it. Wasn't nice!

Attachments

• 20150729_100809.jpg
    20150729_100809.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 134
Here's the top of the turbo. The silver pipe that turns to black hose on the right goes back to the top of the radiator

Attachments

• 20150729_100946.jpg
    20150729_100946.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 137
I can't find anything online that would help me with this :(

The round head bolt with the alen key in it seems to be there the water is coming from. is there a seal on that bolt that might need replacing or would it be internal? And is there mentioned to be anything in the hole just below that bolt?

Attachments

• 20150729_123357.jpg
    20150729_123357.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 127
Tried to have a look at my BEX but not enough space and hands to big to get phone down there. Is this any help.?

Can't say that I can see it :( I'm just going to take it out and see what's on the other end

The few turbos that are on eBay don't show anything in that second hole. Are you sure it's not the top coolant supplie hose or where it joins the turbo as its right above that Allen headed bolt.

I had the Allen headed bolt out and I think that's it. The head was chewed up on it so it's been out before for whatever reason and it didn't seem very tight. Went to audi today and they couldn't find the part on there pretty pictures And all the engineers had gone home :(

Been to audi twice and they have no idea what it is! It's not on there pictures. They are ordering me some bits in for Tuesday (they told me something from the gearbox will fit) so fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 20150729_134827.jpg
    20150729_134827.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 120
Failing that I'm going to have to find a scrap dealer and see of they will let me take one from a turbo

Try a new copper washer, it might be just that. I would ask TTE on here if they could help,worth a shot.