large port head

jim s3

Reaction score
has anyone done this mod? some of the audi engines have large port heads like the ajq aeb heads, just wondering what else is needed to make this work and what kind of power gains are there to be had if any?

The Port Size on the head is alot to do with the torque properties as I remember from my older days

Think the smaller port heads were actually the ideal ones for tuned engines

Nope, large ports are better/more sought after.

Will explain after me tea unless someone else beats me too it.

Long story short, the large ports flow more, hence can produce more power.

The AGU has the capacity for the most power, with the head, pistons but its cable operated so people dont like them as much.

So people prefer the BAM engines as they have forged rods same as the AGU, but Drive by wire.

Actually, a lot of people stick AGU heads on BAM engines for Mk2 conversions so I have no idea why people wanted the small port heads?

You can port out a small port head to flow better than a large port, just in case you can't find one. Then you are looking at an inlet. If you need that much power then you'd be looking at after market inlets with r32 throttle body anyway.

Big port is going to flow more for larger power. Torque on forced induction can be improved with a well matched turbo, capacity increase and equal length manifold etc.

I've never seen people after small ports, and I've been on CGTI since 1997ish. That said, its very Mk2 centric with few Mk4 owners.

ewww ClubGIT! Is it still full of idiots now? Seemed to really go down hill and sour in 2002ish

I used to knock about with a few Golf nuts, what I grew up doing, and they were always harping on about how they wanted the small port heads, they were obviously miss informed

2002 I'm not sure, cant think of anything specfic. 2004 was a bit bad but people went away to setup smaller clubs.

Now, I honestly cant think of any forum with as much unbiased information or people as willing to help.

The general technical knowledge on CGTI is outstanding, which i why I spend time there.

Same cars as the Audis too, just with a different badge.

Just from dealings Ive had with Club GTI Members at shows in the past, as well as when they were customers for me at Volkswagen (Even had one bloke tell me I wouldnt be welcome on there because I didnt own a Gti, and my Rallye was worthless lol)

You get bad apples, guess I just got handed bad ones!

I used to love hanging out on CGTI. Still got a login. Might head over and see what they are all up to.

Get an engine, you can have the head and I'll have the block, pistons, crank etc off ya.