Knocking is driving me crazy

mrchimps

Reaction score
I have a clunk, knocking sound that is doing my ****** head in. when i'm driving along it sounds like its from the passenger side front, but when mrs is in the front she says its more like rear.

I replaced the rear top control arm a while ago as that was knocking and loose so I thought that had cured it, but its back. Just replaced the c drop links, still there.

Can be heard as a rumbling on the motorway when going along, but also at lower speeds.

I have had the car up and there is no noticeable play in the wheel or any parts, but last nigh when it was quiet i'm sure I could hear it when i put foot pressure on the top of the tire with the wheel on the ground.

I hear nothing going over speed bumps either.

any ideas on where to check next, before i take a tree branch to it.

Check subframe bolts are tight,they are known to cause all sorts of noises.

Finally got a dry day to jack it up and have a look. Nothing from the suspension, but the passenger side engine mount looks like it is leaking from the bottom. Any one know how difficult a change these are?

also noticed the lack of a retaining clip on the brake caliper and it shifts about a bit, the top and bottom bots are tight but still moves back and forth.

I had the same sort of thing and found it the be the arm the droplink connects too. It was moving front to back as the rubber was shot. It moved easy with a crowbar the other side was solid. To look at it looked ok