Jutin`s S3 thread

Maverick1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've owned my S3 for about a year now, It's my first euro car after playing with Jap cars for some years. Firstly a big thanks to all the folk here that contribute and supply information to help others fix the **** that seems to constantly go wrong with these things - It is a massive help! I live in Australia and getting work done here is usually a case of "bring some lube with you for when we position our pineapple firmly in your ***"

However, I do the majority of work myself (apart from anything specialized) as I am reasonably mechanically minded/able, and can follow instructions well. In fact I actually thoroughly enjoy the achievement of fixing things myself and saving some $$$ at the same time.

Anywho the car is a 2002 S3, Dolphin grey and was bought basically stock with the exception of an APR tune (195kw) and the uprated Haldex controller. The previous owner also fitted M3 style mirrors as someone broke a factory one and the cost of a replacement one was downright offensive - Audi have a gigantic pineapple down here, much larger than most others. I plan on retrofitting the factory ones as they look much better and am not really a fan of body modifications.

Here are some pics:

IMG_1107-1.jpg

IMG_2678-1.jpg

Last edited:
When I first got it I thought it handled awesome in comparison to my previous vehicle, a 50cc Honda today scooter. It seemed to go hard but after about a month of ownership, It started to develop a cold start problem. It wasn't a huge issue but it annoyed me nonetheless. Another thing I noticed too was a very slight, what seemed like "breakdown" under hard WOT acceleration. I did some research and concluded it was probably plugs, and possibly the CTS causing the starting issue.

I bought some PFR-7Q plugs, and gapped them to 0.028'' - As per the TT tweakers guide that is floating around. Car went better, the breakdown seemed to be gone and the cold start problem disappeared for about a week and then returned (ah ****).

It was also about this time coolant was found under the car. I traced it to the Plastic flange that bolts to the head and houses the CTS sensor. So I ordered the parts from VAG at around $130 for the flange, sensor and O-ring (the sensor doesn't come with an O-ring... wtf?) Anyway I thought goodbye cold start problem and goodbye leak!

ctsflange.jpg

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning too, whilst I was replacing the flange, I destroyed a plastic vacuum pipe that runs from the hockey puck to the PCV pipework under the inlet manifold. It literally just crumbled. As I needed the car on the road that arvo I just got some coolant hose and made a temporary pipe, but it works fine and is probably more structurally sound than anything else in vacuum system so it's staying there for now! (",)

The old bit:
IMG_2723.jpg

The new part from the USSR:
puck.jpg

Last edited:
Have you priced mirrors being sent from here ?

I haven't but I'm sure they're equally expensive. After having a look at the broken one, i'm pretty sure that I can fit the alloy cover (which is undamaged) to a working A3 mirror. I'll have to pick one up from someone in the near future. Btw sorry about the size of pics, I've reduced the size of them on photobucket, but they still post uber big - I'm new to this so any help is appreciated!

It was around this time too, that I noticed a few other things not quite right. one was a small oil leak at the rear of the engine - however it wasn't using much oil at all, and I checked it every few days so it went on my "to do" list. The other was a significant "knock" from the front end when travelling to either side of full lock, mainly when parking etc. After taking it down to the bogan tyre shop (I was living in a small town temporarily which mainly catered to Aussie ****boxes), they said the front rear bushes were stuffed, and so with that knowledge I ordered a front end powerflex bush kit as I thought most others would prob need replacing too:

I received front control arm bushes too, but they are not in the photo

IMG_2719.jpg

Shortly after getting these, I moved to a capital city, and had the car serviced, (and myself pinappled) at a reputable Euro "performance" shop. The Oil leak was traced to the rocker cover gasket (quoted 3 hours/$320 to fix!) and also both front outer CV boots and top mounts shagged. I walked away with fresh oil and filters for the engine and haldex, with very little change from $500. ****.

the-big-pineapple-1971.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to go with OEM bushes on the rear of the front control arms, after reading about other members experiences with poly bushes. I just really want it to handle nice and be comfortable. Genuine was priced at $92 each so after swearing a little I got on Ebay and bought Lemforder ones for about $40 (for both sides) delivered to AUS. I also ordered new top mounts and 4 CV boot kits for the front driveshafts. figured it was best to replace everything and not worry about it again for a long time.

I had driveshafts rebuilt, front bushes done, top mounts done and a full alignment. The improvement in handling was pretty good i must say.
front-rearbush.jpg

frontbush.jpg

Strut sitting a little better than before:
topmount.jpg

I also thought it would be a good idea to order a new rocker cover gasket and an Elsawin CD. Total cost was about $35 for both delivered. I then got a 6-pack ($11) and proceeded to change the gasket. It wasn't difficult and took about 2 hours with me wasting time sticky-beaking around and learning about where everything is. Job done and better than paying a professional $320 for 3 hours? labour.

Last edited:
Thanks champ. Our dollar buys around 1.04 USD so not sure how much GBP that is and i'm too lazy to check. Except for the CV boots which I got locally from ASV (they were pretty cheap) everything I have bought has been reasonably priced as I've just got it from the US or the UK. Latest order is a Set of adjustable Gruvenparts control arms for the rear. When I had it aligned they said the rear needs attention and is not adjustable. I have since learnt (from this forum) that it is a problem that plagues these cars and causes the "squirminess" that I experience on a daily basis. Ill do the other rear bushes while I'm at it and hopefully i'll see a decent improvement.

In almost a year I am still chasing the elusive cold start problem. I am convinced its a vacuum leak, and probably from underneath the inlet manifold. A little while ago I was checking the hockey puck and the hose that connects to the Intake pipe just ripped out, taking part of the TIP with it!. ****. I then ordered some new pipes from Creationsmotorsport as I thought they looked the goods and weren't crazy expensive. I also got some of the other little hoses from them too, to replace other marginal factory hoses. About the same time I elected to do the N249 delete thing. purely to eliminate any vaccum leaks. It seems anything plastic will just crumble if touched!

intake.jpg

IMG_2585-1.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

Last edited:
While I was running the new 4mm vacuum hose - I saw something that didn't look right - There was small fabric-covered hose that goes from the fuel rail to under the manifold. On closer inspection it was literally broken in 2 pieces. Surely this was the source of my cold start problems. Anyway I just replaced this with 4mm silcone hose as I bought 2 meters while I was at the shop...

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

The DV and FPR reg hoses. Both replaced with 4mm silicone:
IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Freaking stupid car!! Once again it has started leaking coolant, but this time from the after run pump. I didn't even bother calling about a genuine one this time. Straight to Ebay and I found a Bosch one for $110 delivered, which I was happy with. It said it was for a later model VW with a different P/N but looked identical. Needless to say it took 10 mins to fix and bolted/plugged straight in. The leak is fixed (again)... I should be happy, but no doubt something else will start leaking soon dammit. While I was driving the car yesterday, the armrest got stuck in the upright position too. I was pretty annoyed but turns out it was an easy fix, thanks once again to this forum. (",)

New pump:
IMG_2624.jpg

All fixed:
afterrun.jpg

Last edited:
So now just waiting for my Gruvenparts rear control arms, a new dipstick holder (broke it, ordered 2 just in case!) a fuel filter and some more bushes for the rear. hopefully I can get the handling/ride decent now but also know that I'll probably need to do shocks and springs soon too as no doubt they are probably stuffed. I also bought a new OEM DV and put it on just in case mine was rooted. For $15 I thought I may as well. The car still has some small issues under boost and the cold start problem persists. A huge process of elimination...

I still need to fit the poly engine mount and steering rack bush, but I'm worried that if they don't fix my minor "clunk" - that the rack
will need rebuilding/replacing. Time will tell.

Last edited:
great write up. and seems like you've experienced alllll the standard problems, dont worry we all have! just hang in there.
what exactly is your cold start problem? struggles to start?

Thanks superKarl. Yeah it really coughs and splutters initially, but it's fine after that. I don't really want to go the catch can route and remove more pipework (n249 was enough) as I would like to keep it reasonably factory. I'm thinking I'll probably replace it all with silicone hoses and some small aluminium pipe bends etc to make sure it's all airtight. Another thing that leads me to suspect it's vacuum related is that I get an intermittent "pptsh" sound when sitting at the lights and pressing the brake pedal. Braking never seems to be affected but it only happens sometimes. I'm thinking this is somehow related to a leak in the system.

I'm thinking I'll probably replace it all with silicone hoses and some small aluminium pipe bends etc to make sure it's all airtight.
this really is a good idea, as you've experienced the pipes are nasty and split so easy with age.
simplifying that system like lots of people do with catch cans eliminates future problems, and it can be done without a catch can, so can still retain an oem look.
well there is a take off on the left hand side of the manifold for the brake servo, with a one way valve in it. take a look at that.

Mate will do,I might have a crack at it next weekend if the sun is shining. I feel like i'm getting to the point where the car will be mechanically sorted in the near future so that will be good. I am pretty keen to fit some of those 18" RS4 alloys one day though.. they look downright awesome on S3's!

They look totally horn, only problem is they would be as rare as hens teeth in Aus, best bet would be to get a set sent here, but It would be a pricey exercise no doubt.

My dipstick holders arrived today, and I thought I better put a new one on to get it all sealed up again. These cost me about $20 Aud delivered from the USA so I thought that was a sweet deal. I also, after having a think about it - modified the holder to prevent any more future breakages. I cut out the section shown and left just enough edge on it so it gently "clips" onto the support bracket. I also found it difficult to get all the broken pieces out without some dropping into the sump. I'll soon get the sump off and give it and the pickup a solid clean.

dipsticks.jpg

brokendipstick.jpg

modified.jpg

fitted.jpg