is this correct?

Turbo9639

3rd gear
Reaction score
i have a 140bhp 2.0 tdi, when in neutral it will only rev up to approx 2000-2500 rpm?

yup, pretty sure once uve turned esp off itll let u rev the whole way.

Lots of veichles do this, on the merc sprinter it did it but put the clutch down and it revs to redline

:uhm: Really? clutch disengaged, neutral, I can redline mine...?

I'm sure its a speed thing.

I had a 58 plate manual 170 TDI and it would only rev so far when stood still and then if you were rolling say 15mph onwards you could leave it in neutral and rev it to the red.

Dunno what does it and what dont, but like i say my experience of this is in a merc sprinter van 313cdi 6 speed manual, in neutral goes only to 3000rpm (similar to OP but higher) when clutch dipped goes to redline (if you wanted it to). The whole fleet did it, so it's normal and i presume it's normal on the OP car.

My manual 2010 170 did this too. Would only rev to 2500 whether the clutch was dipped or not when stationary. You could turn off the ESP and it would rev all the way up though. I liked to use it as launch control... ;)

I once had a super eco run in the S3 and got 415 miles plus 35 left on the DIS. So 450 if I had the balls to keep going haha.

Works out at about 42 mpg.

As I said tho.....super boring and never to be repeated!

I once had a super eco run in the S3 and got 415 miles plus 35 left on the DIS. So 450 if I had the balls to keep going haha.

Works out at about 42 mpg.

As I said tho.....super boring and never to be repeated!

Did I miss something? How does that related to the OP?! Haha.

I would be a bit concerned about the I/Cooler pipes blowing off at full revs. with no load. Don't do it.