Is there a hidden code to unlock all the drive select choices?

gamegenie

Eazy-E CPT OG from the Otherside
Reaction score
And get a Drive Select selection that looks like this?

mDjOp.jpg

Right off the bat my A3 2.0T only has Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, and Individual modes.

I thought the A3 was suppose to have a energy saving mode that would ride the A3 on 2-cylinders instead of 4. Is that what 'Efficiency' mode is?

I never saw 'Race' mode before until I just googled this drive select pic.

Not a clue, never seen race but I want it!

Reactions: danilotto and sjbarneS3
Running on two cylinders is part of the 1.4TFSI COD engine only. So won't happen on your diesel I'm afraid.:sadlike:

Efficiency mode is a more docile setting than Comfort. The main difference is that it coasts (disengages the clutch) when you take your foot of the gas. I don't like it.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Where are you based OP? I seem to recall the 2.0T is not available in the UK or Ireland. Never seen race mode on my S3 ;(

Reactions: eugenesamuels and TonyH38
Is that on an RS5 as the picture is A5?

sorry, no I'm a 2.0TFSI, US A3.

So they limited Cylinder on-demand to just the 1.4T models?

It's like they didn't want no one else to have the functions to save fuel.
It's not something that they can just offer as an option. It's a completely different engine. I think it is actually mechanical, the unused pistons are disconnected from the drive. I think that's correct anyway - I'm sure V8 will clarify.

Reactions: Pulp84
At the risk of ruining yet another thread, you do get "Race Mode" in a G.... R. :p

Reactions: DommyR, Blackwhite and Pulp84
I thought "Race" is how VW calls "Dynamic"?

Or you can turn it all way to 11 with a A45 AMG......

Comfort, Sport, Sport+, Individual, Race

Efficiency mode is a more docile setting than Comfort. The main difference is that it coasts (disengages the clutch) when you take your foot of the gas. I don't like it.
Would you say this mode is equivalent to the 'Eco mode' on the Hyundai Sonata? http://ask.cars.com/2012/06/when-sh...ve-eco-button-on-the-2012-hyundai-sonata.html

My old Sonata had this function and I remember being enthralled by how effective this mode was in saving fuel. I once made a trip from Indianapolis, IN to Starkville, MS on 1 full tank of gas in 'Eco Mode'.

There's got to be something hidden in this Audi's that can perform something similar. I thought Comfort was a equivalent but it burns fuel about as even as Auto. Only difference is Auto stiffens the steering wheel like Dynamic while Comfort turns the wheel into an old boat Cadillac.

It would be nice to know if Efficiency is 'Eco Mode' equivalent and every A3 is capable of unlocking this feature.

Would you say this mode is equivalent to the 'Eco mode' on the Hyundai Sonata? http://ask.cars.com/2012/06/when-sh...ve-eco-button-on-the-2012-hyundai-sonata.html

My old Sonata had this function and I remember being enthralled by how effective this mode was in saving fuel. I once made a trip from Indianapolis, IN to Starkville, MS on 1 full tank of gas in 'Eco Mode'.

There's got to be something hidden in this Audi's that can perform something similar. I thought Comfort was a equivalent but it burns fuel about as even as Auto. Only difference is Auto stiffens the steering wheel like Dynamic while Comfort turns the wheel into an old boat Cadillac.

It would be nice to know if Efficiency is 'Eco Mode' equivalent and every A3 is capable of unlocking this feature.

I have a feeling it is maybe country specific. Almost ever 2013+ A3 8V I've driven has this option. It might me a legal thing because I know in some countries it's illegal to coast with you clutch disengaged on a manual for too long as its seen as being dangerous. With that being said their must be a way to enable it.

EF1 = ECO function (attached VCDS screen shot)

I am currently working on a way of activating ADS on non ADS supplied cars.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 16.05.56.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 16.05.56.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,526
It will be engine and probably market specific. Cylinder deactivation requires a CoD engine, and happens regardless of drive mode setting.

On my A3 8v 1.4tfsi CoD 6-spd manual with SE suspension I have:

Auto - engine defaults to lower power/throttle response. Possibly jumps to higher if you floor it, I've never noticed much difference. Cruise control gets up to speed fairly quickly. Steering has medium/low assistance.
Comfort - low power/throttle response. Steering has high assistance (feels horrible!)
Efficiency - low power/throttle response. Cruise control takes longer to get up to speed. Steering has least assistance (nicest of all!). A/C defaults to economy mode.
Dynamic - high power/fast throttle response. Steering has assistance but also artificial resistance, it's not terribly nice.
Individual - your choice of auto/dynamic for engine, comfort/auto/dynamic for steering.

What I miss is the efficiency steering setting, since it's by far the nicest in terms of feel. But it's only available with the engine in the most eco friendly mode, which for my particular commute turns out not to be as economical as auto.

So I tend to ride in either Auto while cruising, and individual for spirited drives/brisk B roads with it set to dynamic engine and auto steering.

So you can enable ADS in car via VCD without the option, however the screen will show blank (no options to choose). ADS in the 8V is actually controlled by another module which can be purchased at your dealership, however good luck if the US dealerships will know anything about it or how to enable it. I've actually thought about buying the control unit, its about 250 bucks. But I would then have to figure on how/where/what wires that connect to it.

Parts needed:
http://www.audiusaparts.com/oe-audi/8v0063765
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2vZz3je2n?af=727694563

As for race mode, 8V's do not have this mode. The RS3 might come with this.

Efficiency mode is "enabled" via your center speedo setting. In the 1.8 and 2.0 US spec cars, its just suggestions and not a "mode" per say. When in this mode screen (I drive with it always on), it will tell you how much gas consumption is being used because of heated seats or HVAC is on. But doesn't actually alter anything that I can tell or can register via fuel logging.

To get more efficiency on a 2.0T, you have to drive 65mph or below to get roughly 34-36mpg highway... and on non hill roads. I play a mental game everyday on my commute. Overall each tank I get about 27-31mpg on average.

Last edited:
Efficiency mode is "enabled" via your center speedo setting. In the 1.8 and 2.0 US spec cars, its just suggestions and not a "mode" per say. When in this mode screen (I drive with it always on), it will tell you how much gas consumption is being used because of heated seats or HVAC is on. But doesn't actually alter anything that I can tell or can register via fuel logging.

To get more efficiency on a 2.0T, you have to drive 65mph or below to get roughly 34-36mpg highway... and on non hill roads. I play a mental game everyday on my commute. Overall each tank I get about 27-31mpg on average.

This is not what I'm referring to, you're talking about the Efficiency Program, which I think every Audi has, it's that green menu option from the instrument cluster LCD.

I'm talking about the Efficiency Drive Select mode (pictured in OP) and asking if this is the same as the Active Eco that saves fuel.
I have a hunch that it is. The manual talks about ECO mode for the dual climate control that can be enabled and reduced the amount AC being used for saving fuel, but even this feature is not available to the US Audis.

EF1 = ECO function (attached VCDS screen shot)

I am currently working on a way of activating ADS on non ADS supplied cars.
So this will enable the Eco mode for the dual climate control fuel saving?

This is not what I'm referring to, you're talking about the Efficiency Program, which I think every Audi has, it's that green menu option from the instrument cluster LCD...

Correct, I know that you are referring to the mode in the drive select, however US cars do not have it. I tried enabling (permanently) in the VCD because I want better mpg, but no luck. So all US cars are stuck with is the sad excuse "suggestions" in the speedo area. Getting ADS with any functions will still need the controller box, the link above. I'd suspect maybe we'd get the efficiency mode with the retrofit, but not holding my breath.

Still dumbfounds me that Audi really didn't do their research for this car. Not enough usb, no "eco" or "highway" mode, lack of storage, start/stop, keyless entry not standard, 2015 didn't come with rear view cameras, etc. I mean the EU cars come and have these features, but they omitted for the US market. They wanted this car to directly appeal to millennial's and they gave us a MMI system with 4G that does almost nothing. I get it (money), but I really don't get it. :wtf:

Last edited:
Reactions: gamegenie
Still dumbfounds me that Audi really didn't do their research for this car. Not enough usb, no "eco" or "highway" mode, lack of storage, start/stop, keyless entry not standard, 2015 didn't come with rear view cameras, etc. I mean the EU cars come and have these features, but they omitted for the US market. They wanted this car to directly appeal to millennial's and they gave us a MMI system with 4G that does almost nothing. I get it (money), but I really don't get it. :wtf:

I concur completely.

The biggest **** up in my eyes with Audi is their lack of releasing these features to the US market.

They left the door wide open for every non-German centric competitor to blow them away.

I had Active Eco in my in 2011 economy car, I thought this would be standard across the board in cars today today, and it somewhat is (if I look at the non-US A3s), but why on earth was there a decision of 'no Efficiency for the US bound A3'.
Rearview camera should have been standard, though I had to option in mine, thank goodness our government made rear cameras the law because I doubt Audi would have budged otherwise for the 2016 models.
Features like Auto-Engine OFF and Park Assist are luxury features in my eyes that I would have expected Audi USA to jump on to try and promote the A3, but nope. 'Stay Uncompromised' ha, I slightly cringe when I see the Ford Focus show off it's park assist functions.
Corner Light, why was this too not offered here in the US, every morning and night when I drive around the curving lot at my apartment, I'm made aware of zero vision to the curb I'm driving around due to the headlights beaming straight instead of the direction I'm turning.

Eco should have been part of the Climate Control (as it is in the non-US A3).
Efficiency mode should have been part of Drive Select included in the Sports package.
Corner Light should have been part of the Convenience package.
Park Assist should have been apart of the Parking System Plus package.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcnacura
So I've bought the retrofit kit for my US spec car and it comes with a few wires and an activation code. Looks like this has to be activated in Audi world headquarters as I have to go to the dealership and have them enable. Not sure if this really can be activated via VCD since the code is custom to just the cars VIN number and can't be transferable as the document states.

12169567_10100621882833873_443325841_o.jpg

Reactions: Martinbanshee and veeeight
If only Audi sold an official Mono-Pur upgrade kit, they'd make an absolute fortune from the stampede of customers

Reactions: Matthew_S3, AndyB-S3 and Wondering Soul
Just scheduled an appointment for Tuesday to get this "installed." They need their master tech to do this which only works weekdays. Eager to see what/how this changes the engine response.

Also interesting tidbit of information for those that want to save gas:
"The efficiency mode is available for all vehicles except the 1.2-litre TFSI with an output of 77 kW (105 hp) (as at 01/2014)."

I will definitely make sure this option is added while programming.

Corner Light, why was this too not offered here in the US, ~.

That's weird, I have it on my Canadian spec S3 (base package, only added paint, wheels, mag suspension and LED headlights). Maybe it was part of the LED headlight package up here?