is redx any good for smokey 1.8t

theviking

Reaction score
Hi all my exhaust is gettin worse bit smokey and i wondered if redx is any good ?

I use RED-X quite a bit. I get it for free(samples sent to my girlfriends brothers garage). Although It cleans (not sure how well) the fuel system. Best thing you can do is do what I did when I first got mine and she was a bit smokey......Drain half the oil. Put the plug back in. Fill back upto capacity with 3 litres of Diesel (yes thats right, diesel from the petrol station). Crank her up and let her idle. Every 3 or so minutes increase the revs to 2500 but no higher. Keep on repeating this untill 15 minutes has elapsed. Kill the engine and drain the contents/oil-diesel mix straight away while it is still piping hot(carefull not to do yourself any harm!). This will clean out most of the junk/sludge in your engine. I read about this on here, and a couple of people, myself included swear by it. Reduced my cars smoke by 70% or so......

1.8T only takes 3.5L of oil, so you'll only want to drain out a litre or so and refil with a similar amount of diesel.

Personally, i'd keep the revs above idle. If the oil pump is a bit dodgy, then idle with thin oil could easily have the pressure dropping below 1 bar, my old engine used to drop as low as 8psi on hot idle, and thats with proper oil in it.

I'd say 1500rpm baseline, and upto 2000rpm every few mins for 30seconds, i wouldnt take it too much above 2000, as the turbo will begin to spool around there and you dont really want that on the flushing mix.

Then do a normal oil change, and refil with 5w40 synth oil and a new filter. Keep an eye on the new oil, it might go black very quickly, and if it does you'll want to do another change after 500 or 1000miels or so. If it stays golden then change it around every 5k like normal.

Thats a good point about the turbo. Take his advice and if you do it, don't take it above 2k. Mine is normally aspirated so I could afford to be generous.....After Doing it the fresh oil was jet black after jsut a few hundred miles, so I changed it with some new stuff again. Colour is normal now.

JESUS CHRIST i think ill put a potato in the exhaust pipe ha ha ! sound strange but true i just swoped oil and filter oil has gone blac already so ill run it a bit and do as suggested the smoke seems to go when it a bit warmer but the system could do with a clen out previous owner justed used and abused it OESNT THAT MAKE U MAD thanks guys

White 'smoke' is generally just condensation. Its actually just steam, from moisture thats collected inside the exhaust.

It should go away once the engine has fully warmed up, but it can take a while if you normally do short journeys.

usually do , it needs a new exhaust fancy a stainless bac box but cant decide what tip ?

I would avoid using lots of diesel to dilute the oil for flushing purposes. You may do harm by thinning it out too much and won't have the friction properties the oil should.

I would reccomend changing the oil frequently and it will clean the engine without doing harm. I'm a firm believer of this, but it's only my opinion.
At a push if the oil is really bad, put a half a litre of diesel or a can of engine flush additive in there.

The 1.8T I got had nice thick black oil in it. In less than 200 miles I've done 3 oil changes, with the last one done today, I will put another 100miles on and check the oil again, if it's black, then it will keep getting changed until it starts to clear.

If your worried then just using half a litre of diesel is cheaper and just the same thing as using a forte flush or similar.

diesel is an oil though, and does provide lubrication, so its not as bad as you may think.

Mate of mine used it on his track car to cure a sticking lifter, and its since been rallied around knockhill for many hours without any issues. Mark (byzan_a4) has also used it on a few of his engines, and they're still alive!

I've heard people advocating using ATF in the oil as a cleaning agent, and running it for 500 or 1000miles. Might be worth trying that if your scared of diesel ;)

so just add some diesel and run it or follow with an oil change after adding diesel

If your using diesel, do not drive the car.

just run it for 10-15mins as described as above then change the oil.

All the flushing additives are diesel derived anyway! Kerosene, thats what most of them are, and thats just purified diesel! dont worry, its perfectly safe!!

Reduced my cars smoke by 70% or so......

I am all for a good flushing now and then but why would flushing the oil system reduce smoke?
If it is smoking you are getting something you shouldn't in the combustion chamber, either through shagged seals, guides, rings or something similar.
If you have an old smoker giving a seriously good flushing can INCREASE the smoking as it can clean out all the deposits and gunk that is behind those shagged seals.

It is a bit like steam cleaning an old engine and then noticing it leaks oil like a fishnet......

i think its condensation in the xhaust its only done 89 thousand miles