Interesting reading on Carbon Cleaning

So the car you posted as an example and everyone critiqued due to its lack of before/after power (carbon build up was clearly not the main problem with this car) is now the subject? The article comments on a Celica GT, yes this is an Audi forum but B7 RS4's aren't even the only Audi that can benefit from carbon cleaning.

Anything with direct injection and pcv system, normally aspirated petrol or turbo charged petrol with direct injection and especially turbo charged diesels suffer. The key is direct injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't a B7 RS4 specific thread and since you've said it is your now arguing against yourself.

Yeah, not sure if it's more of a diesel thing but it's very satisfying. Wire brushes, oven cleaner and other stuff works well too.

Ha, that's my YouTube viewing for later sorted then!!

Reactions: DieselJake
Very debatable subject but based on what I have seen and my personal experience in the motor trade I have to go agree that it does work and can improve MPG and performance, in cases where an engine had excessive carbon build up these type of products will dissolve and reduce the carbon.

Those of you who are knocking it, you have to try it so you can see how it works because the results really are instantly noticeable.

Very debatable subject but based on what I have seen and my personal experience in the motor trade I have to go agree that it does work and can improve MPG and performance, in cases where an engine had excessive carbon build up these type of products will dissolve and reduce the carbon.

Those of you who are knocking it, you have to try it so you can see how it works because the results really are instantly noticeable.

If you are referring to hydrogen cleaning - I did try it, and tested thoroughly, and that's why I'm knocking it. I didn't just try it and use my "butt dyno" either

- Before and after dyno runs (on the same dyno)
- Before and after borescope images
- Inlet manifold removed and inspected
- Inlet then properly manually cleaned and dyno'd again

The results are conclusive. It's a load of BS.

If you are referring to hydrogen cleaning - I did try it, and tested thoroughly, and that's why I'm knocking it. I didn't just try it and use my "butt dyno" either
- Before and after dyno runs (on the same dyno)
- Before and after borescope images
- Inlet manifold removed and inspected
- Inlet then properly manually cleaned and dyno'd again
The results are conclusive. It's a load of BS.

I was commenting and complimenting solvent based cleaners such as Terra Clean, Pro-Tec etc. Not seen the results of a hydrogen type carbon cleaner or one of these machines in action to comment about them. I can see you have thoroughly tested it out by the sounds of it, not disagreeing with you but again if it was a cheap imitation machine, maybe it did not work as it should and gave you poor results.

I was commenting and complimenting solvent based cleaners such as Terra Clean, Pro-Tec etc. Not seen the results of a hydrogen type carbon cleaner or one of these machines in action to comment about them. I can see you have thoroughly tested it out by the sounds of it, not disagreeing with you but again if it was a cheap imitation machine, maybe it did not work as it should and gave you poor results.

Ah gotcha.

So you may not be aware, but the terraclean carbon clean service is also a hydrogen clean - different to their other fuel cleaning system (which will have no effect on carbon in the intake manifold).

I'd not heard of pro - clean, but this seems to be a cleaner for disassembled parts according to their website. I can't comment on how it works (or not) as I've never tried it. However, it's still going to involve most of the labour cost of a proper manual clean: I.e. Taking the manifold off and putting it back on once clean.

The system I tested was Enginecarbonclean, a company that was doing the rounds on the forums and seemed to be the most popular hydrogen clean provider.

Ah gotcha. So you may not be aware, but the terraclean carbon clean service is also a hydrogen clean - different to their other fuel cleaning system (which will have no effect on carbon in the intake manifold). I'd not heard of pro - clean, but this seems to be a cleaner for disassembled parts according to their website. I can't comment on how it works (or not) as I've never tried it. However, it's still going to involve most of the labour cost of a proper manual clean: I.e. Taking the manifold off and putting it back on once clean. The system I tested was Enginecarbonclean, a company that was doing the rounds on the forums and seemed to be the most popular hydrogen clean provider.

Again like I said before difficult subject to debate as it will always give a variable result on each application, you have to take each individual case as it is rather than one negative experience, although I agree its never going to be same as removing the inlet manifold and manually cleaning it by hand. But on the flip side there would not be so many companies engineering, manufacturing and selling these machines if the idea was that flawed or did not work.