APR Vs. Revo - interesting reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. Not having this Batronix software, I opened the "yl2.bin" file with MS Visual Studio. Opening the file as binary and scanning through the address locations.

If you do a search for "Revo", at address 0ffbc0 (hex), there's the text...

"(c) 2003 Revotechnik Patent Pending"

So if you have the hardware to read the chip, and save the file. Its quite obviously "detectable" that you've had/got "REVO" on your car.

BUT...its still less dectable than having a physical chip soldered into your ECU isn't it.

Also, on the physical chipping method, surely if you read the code from the performance chip, there's going to be something in there which says: "AmD" or "MTM" etc. Surely?

AL

Riz.... now return`s refreshed and in non-rant mode. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Right i cant be bothered to continue is this line of posting......

[ QUOTE ]
Also what is stopping me now opening the original file of the standard ECU and altering it and saving it? Can i do this with the Batronix application?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its very hard to imagine that REVO would be so easy to copy.... whats stopping somebody copying one ECU with REVO on it, to a ECU without...... i know its illegal but surely every chip manufacturer has some kind of copy protection?

As i have said before.... i will post any usful information on here but since i have none available on this issue....... im going to shut up and be a nice boy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Riz S3 said:
AL where did the file come from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AL

Riz it came from a Leon Cupra R after it's 'demo' had run out,
Instead of suggesting things why don't you go and look for yourself?
I can't be fairer than that!

I was going to John... but cant be bothered now..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif Its good see the information though.... I think that i will remain chip`less..... the tuning market is too expensive for me anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Ok so maybe the REVO trial code is visable after the trial has expired..... who cares? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Riz S3 said:
I was going to John... but cant be bothered now..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif Its good see the information though.... I think that i will remain chip`less..... the tuning market is too expensive for me anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Ok so maybe the REVO trial code is visable after the trial has expired..... who cares? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? I guess I'd care if I'd done something under the understanding that once the free trial was over and as advertised my car was 'returned back to it's original condition'!
And claims of hiding code in other parts of the ECU seem to be incorrect also, as you can clearly see.

so is the forthcoming AmD switchable soloution going to be the customers "original Audi Standard map" and "Amd Performance map" ??

and while on switchable does anyone know if Apr's "standard map" is actually "Audi standard" ?

for the intersts of comparison of course.

Also in reading REVO`s code does this mean AmD have cracked the enycrption?

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
so is the forthcoming AmD switchable soloution going to be the customers "original Audi Standard map" and "Amd Performance map" ??

and while on switchable does anyone know if Apr's "standard map" is actually "Audi standard" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll answer this one later in a seperate post, I've just put my dinner in the oven... but I'll answer Riz's question first...

[ QUOTE ]
Riz S3 said:
Also in reading REVO`s code does this mean AmD have cracked the enycrption?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well seeing as that file was viewed directly from reading it from the chip....
The bit that says Revo..... is plain for all to see.

Although the AmD guys are very clever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This is a fascinating post John. I am still confused however.

Does this actually prove that the torque has been capped rather than the ECU reverted to stock? Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the fact that the code is traceable mean that the remap is still functional after the trial is lapsed, albeit with a capped torque. I don't see that. All I see is that the remap is traceable.

I'm not sure that anyone ever disputed the fact that the chip was traceable, it was only ever the lengths that people (i.e. dealers or loss adjusters) would go to trace it.

Or have I got this **** about face?

Hi all

I was told by a tuner that uses REVO amongst other that what REVO actually do is copy the standard Audi maps and move them to another address in memory. The tuned maps reside where the original code lay. When switching ot 'standard' code the ECU accesses the original Audi map higher up in the adrress space (a pointer is set in code).
Voila tuned and standard together in perfect harmony.
John I think your argument is reasonable about not returning to standard code BUT it does return to standard maps created by/for Audi and the dealer will only see this, not an EEPROM download form an EEPROM programmer.

[ QUOTE ]
John I think your argument is reasonable about not returning to standard code BUT it does return to standard maps created by/for Audi and the dealer will only see this, not an EEPROM download form an EEPROM programmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone elses turn, show me the maps reproduced.

Just cause someone told you this you believe it?
You've been told this as they're assuming no one will look!
Well people have looked and unfortunately what you've been told is incorrect.

[ QUOTE ]
Rob_A3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I just skim read this as I am in the US at the moment, but it doesn't seem to put it back to a standard-type map as the torque seems to be capped (unless I have misread the post).

[ QUOTE ]
Wando said:
[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll answer this one later in a seperate post, I've just put my dinner in the oven... but I'll answer Riz's question first...

[/ QUOTE ]

any more on this post Wando? Or have i missed it else where in another forum? Ive looked in tuning etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.