If u had 35k to spend on a car what would u get?

pure

Reaction score
If u had 35k to spend on a car what would u get? And why?

Reason I am asking is because a friend of mine is selling his TVR and getting a better car. He has 35k. I have pointed him in the direction of an RS4. He won't have it tho.

Doesn't have to be an audi, his shortlist includes an M3, tvr350t, porka 996 or a ford lightennig F150 (lol)

TVR T350c, unless you need to drive it every day or long distances, in which case RS4. I'd have both if I could! I think everybody needs at least 3 cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
993 carrera 4s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that

New Caterham R400 or Ultima CanAm for pure joy
and an old reliable diesel for 1k so you dont ever have to give a f*ck about where you park

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
New Caterham R400 or Ultima CanAm for pure joy
and an old reliable diesel for 1k so you dont ever have to give a f*ck about where you park

[/ QUOTE ]

You should modify the wishlist to include old reliable diesel WITH TOWBAR, so that you can get your new toys to the track. They are hopeless on the public road!!

Lotus Exige, Used Noble or a Mitsu Evo and have the spare cash to pay for the servicing every 4.5k!!

I think the full list would have to be:

Town car - fully loaded A2 or Mini Cooper S

Touring car - RS4/RS6

Sports car - TVR T350c

RS4, no question, best all round practical fun. Track cars are great but how often will someone with only 35k to spend get to the track?

It would have to be the new Evo due out in October. With 400+bhp and a three year manufactures warranty, it is quicker to 62 and 100mph than the £300,000+ Pagani Zonda. It was also quicker around the twisty bits. Though you may have to stretch your budget a little.

Four door cars now set the standard, not the so called super cars. Forget Porsche, no design imagination, in fact going backwards and Ferrari, unreliable and fickle. Both, at best overpriced toys.

Why is he getting rid of his TVR?
Maybe he's starting a family.
Maybe he wants something more comfortable but still with some grunt.
There's no point debating this on behalf of someone we don't know. The question was, what would we buy?
Pimp, I think we all know you wouldn't buy an Audi.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
There's no point debating this on behalf of someone we don't know. The question was, what would we buy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly that, Andymac! I was answering for me. I don't live in a deserted county in the far North of the UK where point-to-point fun is available on-road on a daily basis. I'm also a middle aged fat b@$tard with dodgy cartilages, so I want the car to do the work for me. BUT!!!!! I still want performance, quality, class and understatement. Hence, the A8.

Pimp, why DID you buy an Audi, LOL?!

JDP, my message wasn't in reply to your suggestion of a Audi, it was just general.

Andymac, why is he selling his TVR? Well we do know why, becuase Pure said so, it's becuase he wants to get a better car.

I wouldn't buy a Audi (at least i don't think i would) if i had 35k (which i will have i hope in the next few years) to spend. This is nothing against Audi, i just think there are better cars out there, which are more fun to drive. I brought a Audi becuase i had 5k to spend, not enough to pick and choose. Its good for 5k. If i had 35k, then i can afford to pick and choose. This is not to say i definatly wouldn't buy a Audi, i have driven E46 M3 reguraly so know its good, but maybe i would get [censored] off at having to put so much effort into driving it, and an Audi would give me same performance without as much effort. But then maybe, i would get bored with the dull handling of a Audi. I dunno. Better to go for something like a Nissan 350z for eg, pretty much luxury comfort with the leather/climate/cruise etc, performance, fun to drive etc. But then i don't think i would spend that sort of money on a Nissan. Well, i suppose it would have to be out of RS4, M3, and Boxster S.

Looking at all the suggestions that people have come up with for someone with 35k to spend, i find it very suprising that people spend almost that much on a 3.2 Quattro A3 (as nice as they are, and no offence to those who have). I mean, end of the day its only a small hatchback. You could have had a S4 for that price (i think) or a S3 (2000> model).

I had an EVO 6 and my first S4, twin turbo,to play with for about 8 Months. Pure heaven!!!!!!!! But a bit extravagant so the EVO went in the end. (There were other reasons)

I think you could do worse than repeat the same combination with the new EVO, and the new RS4 when it comes out....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Furthermore, the 350z nissan doesn't have great handling at high speeds. The boxter is a beautifull car, but it's a pure two seater. The 993 (my favorite porsche) is purely amazing. But if you wanted an all around car that has everything you need (speed, handling, space, looks...), then definitly the RS4!!!

G.

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't like the way the rear keeps kicking out when he boots it, he had a TVR Tuscan with around 5k of REDRose tunning extras. Was pushing 380bhp. And it looked awesome. The cars he has listed are majority rear wheelers too and I told him they would be very similar to the tuscan (for kicking the rear out) He wanted something that he can put the dog in and shunt his family from A to B, hence suggesting the RS4. He is a strange bloke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif keep the suggestions comming this is great!

Can safely say that a regular car, tackday car and fast all rounder is probably out of the budget. :p

[ QUOTE ]
Just Plain Old said:
[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
Just Plain Old said:
I had an EVO 6 and my first S4, twin turbo,to play with for about 8 Months. Pure heaven!!!!!!!! But a bit extravagant so the EVO went in the end. (There were other reasons)

I think you could do worse than repeat the same combination with the new EVO, and the new RS4 when it comes out....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The EVO 4, IMO, is a far more enjoyable car than the latest offerings. Accepted that the 6,7,8s faster and have a higher ultimate cornering ability, the 4 displays a suppleness of chassis, adjustability and feel that is lacking on the later models. The 6 onwards are quite blunt tools that do a lot of the work for the driver - plus for road use the zone in which they start to let go is very fast and very high. £ per £ a nice EVO 4 (circa 10k) would be, for me, a much more attractive option...

Re RS4 - as standard this car is NOT FUN. It is overweight, under damped, under braked and is akin to piloting a boat. For me, coming from the S4 with APR software, it is underpowered too. I have seen the thick end of £20k spend on RS4s to get them sorted, and it only goes some of the way there. If we are talking big milage GT then OK, RS4 is good (assuming you get a power and brake upgrade), but for pure driving fun, forget it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 4 & 5 Both had AYC too. I still think the 6 Will go down as the 'classic' EVO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was thinking the 'new' RS4 When it comes out would be pretty good. Must admit I prefer my 'modified' S4 to anything else available at the moment!

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree, a modified S4 saloon is AMAZING... specially when mine is running at 470Bhp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:
I totally agree, a modified S4 saloon is AMAZING... specially when mine is running at 470Bhp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

G

[/ QUOTE ]

...except for the excessive kerb weight which is incredibly difficult to adequately damp, the lack of any steering feel whatsoever and its intrinsic inability to stop....

The S4 is very good at going very fast in a straight line making a wonderful noise, and its not bad on very open roads, but anything more twisty and its pretty hopeless.

That's why I sold mine...

Rasta, thats a very bold statement, which I wholeheartedly disagree with...

6 pot brakes do nothing to reduced the overall kerb weight. Roll bars can improve the situation with well chosen dampers, but again steering feel is lacking. I have seen RS4s with thousands of pounds worth of brakes and suspension kit, that would still be left standing by a well sorted hatch on a give and take roads. It's all about adjustability and feel, which you cannot get IMO on the S4.

If you enjoy your car, fair enough, but as for it being the ultimate uber saloon, I doubt it. Been there, tried it and failed...

Allow me to introduce you to my choice of road and we'll see who comes out first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm joining Glen's queue ....

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Roll up, roll up...tweaked S4's available for a sound *** kicking!
Any one fancy opening up a 6-pack of whup-*** on an S4? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
but what about a R34 Skyline? They must be fun, and quite cheap to buy as well. More prestige and rare then Evo's and Imprezas, and better as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends upon your definition of 'better'.

The R43 is a very heavy car...to be honest, it's a bit of a blunt instrument...great on open sweepers, but clumbersome on proper backroads.

I have a friend with a 450BHP GTR43V-Spec (not ideal with it's overly stiff suspension) and it's not as nice to drive on the backroads as the S3.
Being honest - both of us having driven both cars - the Skyline struggles to get it's bulk along the roads as quickly as the S3....but there again, the S3 struggles against another friends ITB'd 106 Rallye!

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
the S3 struggles against another friends ITB'd 106 Rallye!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprising really! a car built for a purpose! Great fun! My MK1 Rallye was fantastic fun on the twisty roads with its super revvy 1.3 100bhp lump... the 1.6 on TB's tho...thats gotta move some!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Yeah?
Well here's one *** you'll not be kicking on a backroad!
6 pot brakes, Sportec this'n'that, lowered whatnot...tut, tut!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yakkksss... shouldn't have openned my mouth!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Fairly said!!! I might be totally wrong! I was just referring to my own experience! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

And I do agree about the 993 C2...beautiful car!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
G

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Rasta, thats a very bold statement, which I wholeheartedly disagree with...

6 pot brakes do nothing to reduced the overall kerb weight. Roll bars can improve the situation with well chosen dampers, but again steering feel is lacking. I have seen RS4s with thousands of pounds worth of brakes and suspension kit, that would still be left standing by a well sorted hatch on a give and take roads. It's all about adjustability and feel, which you cannot get IMO on the S4.

If you enjoy your car, fair enough, but as for it being the ultimate uber saloon, I doubt it. Been there, tried it and failed...

Allow me to introduce you to my choice of road and we'll see who comes out first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then Dave, I'll have to agree with you! And the RS4 is a stationwagon, while mine is a sedan.... there's a whole lot of difference. Don't you agree?

But now tell me this: what is the best overall saloon???

G

[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:But now tell me this: what is the best overall saloon???

[/ QUOTE ]

From the factory and unmodified? Probbably the latest M3...

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
RastaS4 said:But now tell me this: what is the best overall saloon???

[/ QUOTE ]

From the factory and unmodified? Probbably the latest M3...

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think that I can beat an M3 on back roads?

And yet again, I do have to agree that the M3 is a beautiful looking car...my friend has one..and it's gorgeous

G

Also the argument isn't which ones faster. I wouldn't be that bothered about the S4 being a bit faster then M3, the M3 driving experiance would more then make up for that.

The point about it becoming difficult in bad weather is true, but i think its a bit over-exagerrated. Most powerful RWD cars will start to get difficult in bad weather (snow, rain), but this is only if you aren't careful and try to drive them as if it was a hot day. Like i said in other threads, my cousin drives his M3 all year round (apart from snow, thats just being too silly. But then, how often does it snow, in england anyway), and he's never lost the rear end once. He just has to take more care when its wet, something you wouldn't have to do in a S4. But as long as you are careful, don't boot it in bad weather, there won't be a problem. Its not as if you never see M3's about when its raining.

I do agree that S4 would be a all round better proposition, but i think i would get [censored] off spending that much money on a car that, apart from speed, doesn't give me much thrills to drive. I would rather have a M3, and spend a small amount on a 2nd car to do everyday driving.

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:

In my experience the M3 is much faster in a straight line than its basic power figures would suggest (this is often true of any high revving normally aspirated engine, whilst a turbo is heatsoaking and the turbos drop off power / efficiency at the high end the N/A keeps reaching maximum thrust) which combined with the handling, chassis poise and balance means you would probbably be surprised... I was. Even in the wet, a well piloted M3 will have an advantage, due to the above reasons. Sadly the implementation of quattro in Audis does not confer them with a much greater ability to corner at high speeds (as this is a factor of chassis dynamics), but does give an advantage at low speeds.

The S4 can be very amusing due to its huge torque and mid range power, but for comparison my friend has a 964 C4 (256bhp on the same dyno as my S4) and despite it only being fractionally lighter (<100kg) it would easily keep up all the way to 170mph on a recent trip to europe - there was NOTHING between the cars under accelleration, although the S4 feels a lot quicker, the truth is that the porsche was there (and my S4 was running 332bhp and 390lb/ft, not standard!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Could anyone answer these and correct me if I am wrong:
From this I understand that all is not down to power(@wheels)/weight ratio as the S4 would still have the advantage over the porsche?
So you would have to take into account the type of motor as well (FI or NA). Does this mean torque and power curves to rpm?
(I think so)
Thus for the same power/weight ratio and chassis the NA would be quicker on twisty roads than the FI?
Finally is that why some manufacturers go NA rather than FI on their sport models?

And if i couldn't aford a 2nd car, then i would just buy something like a M5, which i reckon you can drive everyday even in bad weather, and its still gonna give you more fun then a S4.

Pimpmyaudi,
I have been in a RWD merc' when it snowed heavily and you could not control the car.
I was in the back and whatever the driver (very good and experienced one) tried, the car went wherever it wished.
We ended up smashing the side of the car on the metallic rail and had to have the car towed away not for the damage but because there was no way we could get home safely.
OK this was a heavy diesel merc that has not much in common with the M3 but I have to admit that it was so scary that when I think RWD I think of this "experience"

Man all in all, I think that I have enough thrills flying by an M3 or a new Porsche... I've got 470bhp under my hood working it out!!! I love my car and wouldn't sell it for a brand new M3. And just for the record, a guy had his M3 for a couple of months wanted to take my car in exchange of his (GO FIGURE!!!!)

Furthermore, I have all this Horspower that beats so many cars (that are twice as expensive even with my mods). I know it's a different driving experience with a Ferrari or a Porsche... but I drive my car every single day and I always have a huge grin driving it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just love it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
Pimpmyaudi,
I have been in a RWD merc' when it snowed heavily and you could not control the car.
I was in the back and whatever the driver (very good and experienced one) tried, the car went wherever it wished.
We ended up smashing the side of the car on the metallic rail and had to have the car towed away not for the damage but because there was no way we could get home safely.
OK this was a heavy diesel merc that has not much in common with the M3 but I have to admit that it was so scary that when I think RWD I think of this "experience"

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, thats why said my cousin wouldn't drive his in snow, it would be lethal, any RWD would (and a few FWD as well). But as it probably only snows about 3 days a year in england (thats if we're lucky), it doesn't really come into consideration.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
Er, unless i am mistaken, the country DOES stop at the border,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...so we're back into the typical steroetype again.
One that belives the universe stops at the English border....Oh, am I allowed to throw a stereotype around?

This is the UK...and most of us on here accept that...

But, of course, there's always the few who forget that there are Scottish, Irish and Welsh on here too...
Sad thing is, Scotland, Wales and Ireland have the lions share of the best driving roads!

[ QUOTE ]

But anyway, the point i was making is that, yes a M3 is impossible to drive in the snow, but i am talking for people in England when i say it doesn't snow so it doesn't matter. Obviously if you live in a place where it does snow a lot, then thats different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm English...and it snowed a lot where I was born.
It snows a lot in lots of parts of England...
I know a lot of people who live in England and DO consider the bad weather when choosing their car.
Regardless...

[ QUOTE ]

but i don't agree that the M3 is not usable all year round, even if it does require a bit more effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that the M3 IS usable...but it's relative performance we're talking about...in the less clement weather, more of the S4s performance envelope is available, more of the time, compared th the M3.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
I think even a porsche Boxster would kill most Audis for handling, and thats the bottom of the range porsche.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'pimp' speaketh the truth!

I dunno where you lived, but in the east midlands its snowed a total 5 days in the 6 years that i can remember. I also don't consider the English almighty, this is uk but there are still 4 countries in uk.